Abe-Linked School Operator Buys State-Owned Land at Big Discount
Tokyo, Feb. 17 (Jiji Press)--A Japanese private school operator linked to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe bought state-owned land for 134 million yen, some 800 million yen lower than the appraised value, according to government statements during a parliamentary panel session Friday.
The Moritomo Gakuen group last year purchased the land in Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture, for an elementary school set to open in spring. Abe's wife, Akie, has been appointed honorary principal of the school.
In 2014, the group solicited donations to help cover the construction costs for the school, which at the time was named after the prime minster.
At a House of Representatives Budget Committee meeting on Friday, Abe flatly denied that either he, his wife or his offices had been involved in the land deal or the accreditation process for the school.
"If any such involvement is confirmed, I will resign as prime minister and as lawmaker," Abe stressed.
- 02/23 18:06 (Update) Japan's Abe to Visit Italy in March
- 02/23 17:55 S. Korean Minister Urges Busan to Move "Comfort Women" Statue
- 02/23 17:37 5 Ex-Education Ministry Officials to Quit Foundation
- 02/23 16:08 Russia Plans to Deploy New Military Division to Kuril Islands
- 02/23 15:57 Japan Ordered to Pay 30.2 B. Yen Damages for Kadena Noise Pollution
- 02/23 15:23 Japan Services Producer Prices Up 0.5 Pct in Jan.
- 02/23 14:16 Japan Revises Down Coincident CI in Dec.
- 02/23 10:36 Questions Remain over Japan-U.S. Relations: Congress Report
- 02/23 10:30 Seafood "Dashi" Soup Stock Popular with Youth, Foreigners
- 02/23 05:00 Japan Crown Prince Turns 57, Says Emperor's Message Pulls Heartstrings
- 02/22 20:50 Warehouse Fire near Tokyo under Control after 6 Days
- 02/22 20:49 Japan Univ. Students to Start Job Hunting on March 1
- 02/22 19:30 Japanese Movie Director Seijun Suzuki Dies at 93
- 02/22 18:01 Japan Govt Official Attends "Takeshima Day" Event in Shimane
- 02/22 17:44 Tokyo Assembly Sets Up Strong Probe Panel on Toyosu Issues
- 02/22 17:23 Oi N-Reactors Clear Safety Screening for Restart
- 02/22 16:45 Tokyo Govt to Share Costs for Temporary Olympic Facilities
- 02/22 14:14 Ueno Zoo Suspends Viewing of Giant Pandas for Mating
- 02/22 09:19 British Museum Gives Up Hokusai Float Exhibit
- 02/22 00:17 (Update) Man Cuts Own Belly at Tokyo Police Office
- 02/21 21:40 "Premium Friday" Kickoff Event Held in Tokyo
- 02/21 20:52 Japan to Toughen Penalties for Sex Crimes
- 02/21 18:27 JR East to Standardize Tourist Info Centers in Tohoku
- 02/21 17:33 Ex-Tokyo Governor Ishihara to Meet Press on March 3 over Toyosu Issues
- 02/21 17:25 Japan Education Min. Confirms 17 New Illegal Job-Brokering Cases
- 02/21 16:33 Kuraray, Others Raided over Activated Carbon Bid-Rigging
- 02/21 16:27 Japan Govt Official to Attend "Takeshima Day" Ceremony
- 02/21 12:55 Japan Ruling Bloc Agrees to Put Off Budget Vote on "Premium Fri."
- 02/21 09:00 INTERVIEW: Legal Framework Needed for Disaster Evacuee Acceptance
- 02/20 22:21 Man Sues Wife in Japan over Childbirth from Frozen Egg
- 02/20 20:37 Japan Draws Up Inclusive Society Action Plan for 2020 Tokyo Games
- 02/20 18:20 All Major Japan Cities to Increase Budget for FY 2017
- 02/20 17:32 (Update) Man Admits Attempted Murder of Idol in Tokyo Suburb
- 02/20 17:26 Tokyo Assembly to Set Up Powerful Probe Panel on Toyosu Issues
- 02/20 14:51 Japan Ruling, Opposition Parties Split over Imperial Abdication
- 02/20 13:26 Special Exhibition on WWII Japanese Internment Opens in U.S.
- 02/20 10:55 Haneda Terminal 2 to Go International Ahead of 2020 Olympics
- 02/20 10:30 FOCUS: Failed Survey Complicates N-Fuel Removal at Fukushima Plant
- 02/20 09:04 Japan Jan. Trade Deficit Widens to 1,086.9 B. Yen
- 02/19 21:57 Families Demand Abductees' Rescue from N. Korea This Year
- 02/19 17:53 (Update) Victims of Japan's 1942 Bombing of Darwin Remembered
- 02/19 17:19 Japan to Promote Universal Design for Paralympics
- 02/19 13:22 LDP Exec Suggests Study on Acquiring Attack Capability
- 02/19 11:30 Project to Make Diamonds from Disaster Victim Keepsakes
- 02/19 10:30 Japan to Set Annual "Minpaku" Stay Limit at 180 Days
- 02/18 18:42 Japan Drafts Policy on More Rare Wildlife Designations
- 02/18 17:28 Japan May Boost Purchases of U.S. Defense Equipment
- 02/18 13:37 Okinawa to Survey U.S. Plane Flights at Futenma
- 02/17 22:12 Abe-Linked School Operator Buys State-Owned Land at Big Discount
- 02/17 21:35 (Update) Japan-U.S. Economic Dialogue to Start as Early as April