60 Pct of Japan Junior High 2nd-Graders Hate Studying: Survey
Tokyo, April 20 (Jiji Press)--A survey has found that the proportion of children in Japan who dislike studying surges after they enter junior high schools, reaching some 60 pct in their second year.
The survey, whose results were announced Wednesday, was conducted by the University of Tokyo and Japanese correspondence education service provider Benesse Holdings Inc. <9783> between July and August in 2015 and 2016.
It covered primary, junior high and senior high school students across the country and their guardians, excluding first- to third-grade primary school kids.
Valid answers were given by some 16,000 respondents, including at least 11,000 children, each year. The two-year survey tracked the same respondents.
The survey showed the 2016 ratio of primary school children who disliked studying was lowest for first-graders, at 21.2 pct, and highest for third-graders, at 35.9 pct.
- 04/25 10:30 Japan Mulling Direct Residential Tax Notifications
- 04/25 09:00 Local Wood Use Spreading in Kumamoto for Postquake Reconstruction
- 04/25 01:41 (Update) Japan Submits Bid for 2025 World Expo in Osaka
- 04/24 22:30 Japan to Start Henoko Landfill Work for U.S. Base Tues.
- 04/24 21:50 Japanese Bus Driver Nabbed for Alleged Stimulant Use
- 04/24 19:34 Panel Calls for Setting Coral Conservation Areas in Japan
- 04/24 18:32 Japan's Agriculture Ministry Launches Game Meat Meal
- 04/24 18:04 (Update) Renowned Rakugo Master Sanyutei Enka Dies at 88
- 04/24 17:29 Renowned Rakugo Master Sanyutei Enka Dies at 88
- 04/24 17:04 INTERVIEW: Major War Would Be Unavoidable If U.S. Attacks N. Korea
- 04/24 16:22 Abe, Trump Agree to Demand North Korean Self-Restraint
- 04/24 14:45 Japan Coincident Index Up Revised 2.0 Points in Feb.
- 04/24 14:23 Japan Cabinet Office Cafeteria Serves Vegetarian Meals
- 04/24 12:26 Japanese Figure Skater Kanako Murakami Retires
- 04/24 10:30 Aichi Police Ink Child Care Deal to Prep for Disasters
- 04/24 07:25 (Update 4) MSDF, USS Carl Vinson Begin Joint Exercise
- 04/23 21:15 (Update) Abe Vows to Work with U.S. to Resolve N. Korea Abductions
- 04/23 11:06 Abe Keen to Keep Core of Imperial System Untouchable
- 04/22 14:55 Japanese Flock to Govt Website on Civil Protection amid N. Korea Threat
- 04/22 11:00 FOCUS: LDP's Kochi-Kai Marks 60th Anniv. in Shadow of Long-Serving Abe
- 04/22 10:56 (Update) G-20 Finance Chiefs Express Concern about Economic Uncertainty
- 04/21 23:28 (Update) Panel Final Report Seeks National Debate on Decreasing Imperial Family Members
- 04/21 22:19 (Update) Moritomo Gakuen Files for Bankruptcy Protection
- 04/21 21:16 40 M. Yen Grabbed in Daylight in Tokyo's Busy Ginza
- 04/21 21:15 Japan's Imperial Family Members Set to Decrease
- 04/21 20:39 2 MSDF Destroyers Depart for Possible Exercise with USS Carl Vinson
- 04/21 19:49 Growth in Smartphone Users Slows Down: Poll
- 04/21 19:38 (Update) Court Rejects Damages Claim over Tsunami Deaths in Japan
- 04/21 18:17 Movie on "Visas for Life" Japanese Diplomat Shown in U.S.
- 04/21 17:16 Moritomo Gakuen Files for Bankruptcy Protection
- 04/21 16:52 Scandal-Hit Lawmaker to Quit Japan's Ruling LDP
- 04/21 16:47 4 S. Koreans Arrested after 380-M.-Yen Robbery in Fukuoka
- 04/21 16:09 Japan Internal Affairs Minister Visits Yasukuni Shrine
- 04/21 14:33 Aso, Mnuchin Affirm Opposition to Excessive Forex Fluctuations
- 04/21 09:30 UNSC Releases Fresh Statement against N. Korea after Revision
- 04/21 07:19 Tokyo Gov. Koike on Time's 100 Most Influential People List
- 04/21 01:55 (Update 2) Man Robbed of 380 M. Yen in Southwestern Japan
- 04/20 23:49 Japan, Australia Agree to Put More Pressure on N. Korea
- 04/20 23:27 Japan, 10 Others Mulling TPP Effectuation without U.S.
- 04/20 22:07 60 Pct of Japan Junior High 2nd-Graders Hate Studying: Survey
- 04/20 18:56 Japan's Abe to Visit 5 European Nations after Russia Trip
- 04/20 18:49 Japan Holds First Meeting on Space Security
- 04/20 18:35 Man Robbed of 380 M. Yen in Southwestern Japan
- 04/20 17:33 TPP Countries to Discuss Effectuation without U.S.: Japan's Aso
- 04/20 15:08 Child Victims of SNS-Linked Crimes Hit Record High in 2016
- 04/20 13:30 UNSC Fails to Release Press Statement against N. Korea
- 04/20 13:30 Ginza Six Commercial Complex Opens
- 04/20 10:30 FOCUS: Isahaya Standoff Unsolved 20 Years after Dike Cuts Off Bay
- 04/20 09:09 Japan March Trade Surplus Shrinks to 614.7 B. Yen
- 04/20 00:12 Japanese Students Score Low in OECD Life Satisfaction Survey
- 04/19 23:39 (Update) Japanese Woman Left behind in N. Korea Wishes to Visit Parents' Grave
- 04/19 23:32 (Update) Visitors to Japan Hit Record 24.82 M. in FY 2016
- 04/19 22:29 Japan Max Vote-Value Disparity to Get Narrower than 2 to 1
- 04/19 22:19 Japan to Give Up Labor Law Revision during Current Diet Session
- 04/19 21:05 Cancer Tests Using Worms Eyed for 2019 at Earliest
- 04/19 20:31 Anticonspiracy Legislation to Help Prevent Terrorism: Abe
- 04/19 20:10 Cut in Retirement Benefits Sought for Japan Govt Workers
- 04/19 18:12 1st Group of Japanese Troops Returns Home from S. Sudan
- 04/19 17:00 INTERVIEW: U.S. Meat Group Chief Seeks Early Trade Talks with Japan
- 04/19 16:31 Pence Stresses U.S. Resolve to Defend Japan
- 04/19 12:38 Canada Lower House Panel Seeks Restart of EPA Talks with Japan