Pick my opponent, Pacquiao asks fans
Manny Pacquiao on Monday asked his legions of Twitter followers to choose his opponent after announcing his next world title defence will be in the United Arab Emirates.
See you in UAE for my next fight. #TeamPacquiao the WBO world welterweight champion tweeted, appearing to scupper reports that he would next fight Australia's Jeff Horn in Brisbane in April.
Pacquiao then posted a poll on his official Twitter feed asking his 108,000 followers to choose either Horn, Terence Crawford, Amir Khan or Kell Brook as his next opponent in the UAE.
The poll had received more than 10,000 votes by Monday morning.
A spokesman for Pacquiao told AFP he was due to meet his manager Michael Koncz later Monday and a statement about his next fight would be issued.
Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum had been widely quoted last month in international media as saying that the boxing icon would be getting into the ring with the unbeaten Australian Horn in April and the Queensland tourism minister said they were in negotiations to host the bout.
But Pacquiao, 38, posted on his social media accounts that he would be fighting instead in the Middle East and seemed to indicate that while his opponent could still be Horn it could also be one of three other world-class boxers -- American Crawford or Britons Khan or Brook.
Reports of a bout between Pacquiao and Horn had begun circulating last month but the Filipino southpaw said contracts had not been signed.
We are still negotiating about that. Nothing is really final, the date, who is the opponent. There are a lot of offers from other countries, Pacquiao said last month.
Pacquiao announced a brief retirement last year but made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas in November, saying he still felt like a youngster.
The boxing hero initially said he was retiring to focus on his new role as Philippine senator after winning elections last year on the back of his sporting fame.
(2017/02/14 10:15)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 02/23 12:32 French artist is entombed in rock for a week
- 02/23 12:24 Genital herpes in pregnancy doubles autism risk-- study
- 02/23 12:15 Apple 'spaceship' headquarters readies for boarding
- 02/23 12:09 Outdated F1 not winning' warns Hamilton
- 02/23 11:51 Exoplanets 101-- Looking for life beyond our Solar System
- 02/23 11:36 Japanese tourists flock to Brighton home of 2015 World Cup glory
- 02/22 14:27 Australian swimmer Hackett to seek help abroad after family bust-up
- 02/22 14:25 Israel soldier sentenced to 18 months for killing Palestinian
- 02/22 14:22 Far-right firebrand Yiannopoulos in trouble over pedophilia remarks
- 02/22 14:20 Scientists find four new miniature frog species in India
- 02/22 14:18 Fewer teen suicide attempts in states with gay marriage-- study
- 02/22 14:15 Canada to welcome 1,200 Yezidi refugees from Iraq
- 02/22 14:13 Chris Brown restrained from model after abuse account
- 02/21 14:43 US gymnasts unveil accusations of abuse by doctor
- 02/21 14:40 60,000-year-old microbes found in Mexican mine-- NASA scientist
- 02/21 14:38 1.4 million children face famine in four countries-- UNICEF
- 02/21 14:36 Drake says Grammys pigeon-holed him as black artist
- 02/21 14:18 'Spiderman' thief gets eight years for $100m Paris art heist
- 02/21 14:14 S.Korean woman gets 6 years over exorcism death in Germany
- 02/20 15:24 'War won't stop us' vow Syria child victims Bana, Abdel
- 02/20 14:40 Dustin Johnson vaults to world golf number one
- 02/20 14:37 Global arms trade highest since Cold War-- study
- 02/20 14:31 Germany bans internet-connected 'spy' doll Cayla
- 02/20 14:18 Melania Trump prays, assails critics in Florida speech
- 02/20 14:11 Hitler's phone sells for more than $240,000
- 02/17 14:36 Australian swimmer Hackett posts bruised face photo amid family turmoil
- 02/17 14:34 South Sudan war reaches 'catastrophic proportions'-- UN report
- 02/17 14:23 Armyworms threaten southern Africa food supply-- UN agency
- 02/17 14:20 Test can detect HIV within a week of infection-- researchers
- 02/17 14:17 ADHD a 'brain disorder', not just bad behaviour-- study
- 02/17 14:14 N. Korea female agents are regime's weapon of choice-- defector
- 02/16 14:01 Study links working remotely to more stress, insomnia
- 02/16 11:47 Bite-mimicking malaria vaccine shows promise-- study
- 02/16 10:59 Johnson wants Bryant to help rebuild Lakers
- 02/16 10:46 King of university degrees is 70-year old Italian
- 02/16 10:32 Chinese superclub Evergrande to end foreign signings
- 02/16 10:15 'Sex with Me'-- Rihanna tops Valentine's playlists
- 02/15 14:21 Iranian women dressed as men barred from football game
- 02/15 14:19 Indian doctors prepare 'world's heaviest woman' for surgery
- 02/15 14:14 Indonesia launches anti-Valentine's Day condom raids
- 02/15 14:12 'Apple-shaped' body could raise risk of diabetes
- 02/15 14:09 Valentine's Day returns to Iraq's IS-free east Mosul
- 02/15 14:06 Actor Hugh Jackman treated for skin cancer again
- 02/14 10:15 Pick my opponent, Pacquiao asks fans
- 02/14 10:08 Only one Russian athlete returns Olympic medal after dope finding
- 02/14 10:01 Astronomers zoom in on megastar's juvenile outburst
- 02/14 09:50 Mourinho's man behind England rugby fitness boost
- 02/14 09:25 Image of 'hatred of our times' wins World Press Photo
- 02/14 09:10 All hail Bey