Indonesia launches anti-Valentine's Day condom raids
Indonesian authorities raided convenience stores and seized condoms in a major city to stop teenagers having casual sex on Valentine's Day, an official said Tuesday, the latest crackdown on the holiday in the Muslim-majority nation.
The mayor of Makassar, a conservative city on central Sulawesi island, led public order officers in the raids late Monday on the eve of the celebration.
Mayor Mohammad Ramdhan Pomanto said he was not against the sale of condoms but that outlets needed to be careful about whom they were sold to.
Valentine's Day is often misused by teenagers to have casual sex, this can destroy the morality of the nation, he was quoted as saying in local media.
Iman Hud -- head of the local public officers, similar to police but with fewer powers -- told AFP that convenience stores had been failing to check teenagers' IDs to see whether they were at least 18 years old, the age of consent, before selling them condoms.
We are doing this to prevent promiscuity, he said, adding that hundreds of condoms were seized in the raids in the city of 1.3 million.
It was the latest expression of anger at Valentine's Day in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, where Islamic clerics and some pious Muslims use the occasion to criticise what they see as Western decadence.
On Monday teenage pupils, including girls in headscarves, staged a protest outside a school in the city of Surabaya, chanting: Say no to Valentine!
Celebrating the romantic holiday has also been banned by authorities in some parts of the country, as it is every year.
Despite some objections, many in Indonesia mark the occasion, particularly in major cities where cards and chocolates are widely available. Most in the country practise a moderate form of Islam.
(2017/02/15 14:14)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 02/23 12:32 French artist is entombed in rock for a week
- 02/23 12:24 Genital herpes in pregnancy doubles autism risk-- study
- 02/23 12:15 Apple 'spaceship' headquarters readies for boarding
- 02/23 12:09 Outdated F1 not winning' warns Hamilton
- 02/23 11:51 Exoplanets 101-- Looking for life beyond our Solar System
- 02/23 11:36 Japanese tourists flock to Brighton home of 2015 World Cup glory
- 02/22 14:27 Australian swimmer Hackett to seek help abroad after family bust-up
- 02/22 14:25 Israel soldier sentenced to 18 months for killing Palestinian
- 02/22 14:22 Far-right firebrand Yiannopoulos in trouble over pedophilia remarks
- 02/22 14:20 Scientists find four new miniature frog species in India
- 02/22 14:18 Fewer teen suicide attempts in states with gay marriage-- study
- 02/22 14:15 Canada to welcome 1,200 Yezidi refugees from Iraq
- 02/22 14:13 Chris Brown restrained from model after abuse account
- 02/21 14:43 US gymnasts unveil accusations of abuse by doctor
- 02/21 14:40 60,000-year-old microbes found in Mexican mine-- NASA scientist
- 02/21 14:38 1.4 million children face famine in four countries-- UNICEF
- 02/21 14:36 Drake says Grammys pigeon-holed him as black artist
- 02/21 14:18 'Spiderman' thief gets eight years for $100m Paris art heist
- 02/21 14:14 S.Korean woman gets 6 years over exorcism death in Germany
- 02/20 15:24 'War won't stop us' vow Syria child victims Bana, Abdel
- 02/20 14:40 Dustin Johnson vaults to world golf number one
- 02/20 14:37 Global arms trade highest since Cold War-- study
- 02/20 14:31 Germany bans internet-connected 'spy' doll Cayla
- 02/20 14:18 Melania Trump prays, assails critics in Florida speech
- 02/20 14:11 Hitler's phone sells for more than $240,000
- 02/17 14:36 Australian swimmer Hackett posts bruised face photo amid family turmoil
- 02/17 14:34 South Sudan war reaches 'catastrophic proportions'-- UN report
- 02/17 14:23 Armyworms threaten southern Africa food supply-- UN agency
- 02/17 14:20 Test can detect HIV within a week of infection-- researchers
- 02/17 14:17 ADHD a 'brain disorder', not just bad behaviour-- study
- 02/17 14:14 N. Korea female agents are regime's weapon of choice-- defector
- 02/16 14:01 Study links working remotely to more stress, insomnia
- 02/16 11:47 Bite-mimicking malaria vaccine shows promise-- study
- 02/16 10:59 Johnson wants Bryant to help rebuild Lakers
- 02/16 10:46 King of university degrees is 70-year old Italian
- 02/16 10:32 Chinese superclub Evergrande to end foreign signings
- 02/16 10:15 'Sex with Me'-- Rihanna tops Valentine's playlists
- 02/15 14:21 Iranian women dressed as men barred from football game
- 02/15 14:19 Indian doctors prepare 'world's heaviest woman' for surgery
- 02/15 14:14 Indonesia launches anti-Valentine's Day condom raids
- 02/15 14:12 'Apple-shaped' body could raise risk of diabetes
- 02/15 14:09 Valentine's Day returns to Iraq's IS-free east Mosul
- 02/15 14:06 Actor Hugh Jackman treated for skin cancer again
- 02/14 10:15 Pick my opponent, Pacquiao asks fans
- 02/14 10:08 Only one Russian athlete returns Olympic medal after dope finding
- 02/14 10:01 Astronomers zoom in on megastar's juvenile outburst
- 02/14 09:50 Mourinho's man behind England rugby fitness boost
- 02/14 09:25 Image of 'hatred of our times' wins World Press Photo
- 02/14 09:10 All hail Bey