Iranian women dressed as men barred from football game
Eight Iranian girls who disguised themselves as boys to attend a football match despite an official ban were prevented from entering the stadium, an official was quoted as saying Tuesday.
Iran argues that its ban on women attending football matches in the same stadiums as men is necessary to protect them from lewd language that might emanate from the terraces.
Eight girls dressed up as men to try to enter the Azadi stadium in southwest Tehran on Sunday, the Tasnim news agency said.
It cited interior ministry official Alireza Adeli as saying the girls wanted to go to the derby between Esteghlal and Persepolis, but security guards spotted them and prevented them from entering.
The two teams are the oldest and most famous in the country, and Esteghlal won Sunday's game 3-2.
Women have been barred from sporting stadiums since the 1979 Islamic revolution.
The ban was the subject of the award-winning 2006 film Offside by Jafar Panahi, in which a group of girls dress up a boys to sneak into the Azadi stadium to watch that year's World Cup qualifying playoff against Bahrain.
The government of moderate President Hassan Rouhani wants to ease restrictions to some events, and women have been allowed to attend basketball and volleyball events, albeit from a separate section of the stands.
Adeli said the attempt by the girls to sneak into Sunday's match was nothing new.
Girls have tried in the past to enter the stadium, he said, adding that women would remain barred because of crowding and inappropriate conditions.
(2017/02/15 14:21)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 02/23 12:32 French artist is entombed in rock for a week
- 02/23 12:24 Genital herpes in pregnancy doubles autism risk-- study
- 02/23 12:15 Apple 'spaceship' headquarters readies for boarding
- 02/23 12:09 Outdated F1 not winning' warns Hamilton
- 02/23 11:51 Exoplanets 101-- Looking for life beyond our Solar System
- 02/23 11:36 Japanese tourists flock to Brighton home of 2015 World Cup glory
- 02/22 14:27 Australian swimmer Hackett to seek help abroad after family bust-up
- 02/22 14:25 Israel soldier sentenced to 18 months for killing Palestinian
- 02/22 14:22 Far-right firebrand Yiannopoulos in trouble over pedophilia remarks
- 02/22 14:20 Scientists find four new miniature frog species in India
- 02/22 14:18 Fewer teen suicide attempts in states with gay marriage-- study
- 02/22 14:15 Canada to welcome 1,200 Yezidi refugees from Iraq
- 02/22 14:13 Chris Brown restrained from model after abuse account
- 02/21 14:43 US gymnasts unveil accusations of abuse by doctor
- 02/21 14:40 60,000-year-old microbes found in Mexican mine-- NASA scientist
- 02/21 14:38 1.4 million children face famine in four countries-- UNICEF
- 02/21 14:36 Drake says Grammys pigeon-holed him as black artist
- 02/21 14:18 'Spiderman' thief gets eight years for $100m Paris art heist
- 02/21 14:14 S.Korean woman gets 6 years over exorcism death in Germany
- 02/20 15:24 'War won't stop us' vow Syria child victims Bana, Abdel
- 02/20 14:40 Dustin Johnson vaults to world golf number one
- 02/20 14:37 Global arms trade highest since Cold War-- study
- 02/20 14:31 Germany bans internet-connected 'spy' doll Cayla
- 02/20 14:18 Melania Trump prays, assails critics in Florida speech
- 02/20 14:11 Hitler's phone sells for more than $240,000
- 02/17 14:36 Australian swimmer Hackett posts bruised face photo amid family turmoil
- 02/17 14:34 South Sudan war reaches 'catastrophic proportions'-- UN report
- 02/17 14:23 Armyworms threaten southern Africa food supply-- UN agency
- 02/17 14:20 Test can detect HIV within a week of infection-- researchers
- 02/17 14:17 ADHD a 'brain disorder', not just bad behaviour-- study
- 02/17 14:14 N. Korea female agents are regime's weapon of choice-- defector
- 02/16 14:01 Study links working remotely to more stress, insomnia
- 02/16 11:47 Bite-mimicking malaria vaccine shows promise-- study
- 02/16 10:59 Johnson wants Bryant to help rebuild Lakers
- 02/16 10:46 King of university degrees is 70-year old Italian
- 02/16 10:32 Chinese superclub Evergrande to end foreign signings
- 02/16 10:15 'Sex with Me'-- Rihanna tops Valentine's playlists
- 02/15 14:21 Iranian women dressed as men barred from football game
- 02/15 14:19 Indian doctors prepare 'world's heaviest woman' for surgery
- 02/15 14:14 Indonesia launches anti-Valentine's Day condom raids
- 02/15 14:12 'Apple-shaped' body could raise risk of diabetes
- 02/15 14:09 Valentine's Day returns to Iraq's IS-free east Mosul
- 02/15 14:06 Actor Hugh Jackman treated for skin cancer again
- 02/14 10:15 Pick my opponent, Pacquiao asks fans
- 02/14 10:08 Only one Russian athlete returns Olympic medal after dope finding
- 02/14 10:01 Astronomers zoom in on megastar's juvenile outburst
- 02/14 09:50 Mourinho's man behind England rugby fitness boost
- 02/14 09:25 Image of 'hatred of our times' wins World Press Photo
- 02/14 09:10 All hail Bey