Test can detect HIV within a week of infection-- researchers
Spain's top research institution said Thursday it has patented an HIV test that can detect the AIDS-causing virus within a week of infection, the fastest yet.
A biosensor developed by scientists of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) detects the p24 antigen, a protein attached to the HIV virus, in human blood, the council said in a statement.
The technology detects the protein at concentrations 100,000 times lower than in current techniques, it said, and during the first week after infection.
In addition, the total test time is four hours, 45 minutes, meaning clinical results could be obtained on the same day.
The outcome of tests with the sensor was published this week in the science journal PLOS ONE.
The sensor is a rice grain-sized chip combining micro-mechanical silicon structures and gold nanoparticles.
Its ingredients are manufactured using existing tecnology, thus making large-scale, low-cost production possible, CSIC researcher Javier Tamayo said a statement.
This, combined with its simplicity, could make it a great choice for use in developing countries hardest-hit by the scourge of HIV.
Current antigen tests can detect HIV only about three weeks after infection. Tests that pick up HIV antibodies in the blood require an even longer wait.
RNA tests can detect the virus directly after about 10 days, but are more expensive.
Early detection is crucial to stop an infected person unknowingly passing the virus on to other people through sex.
According to the World Health Organization, there were about 36.7 million people living with HIV in 2015, mainly in low- and middle-income countries.
An estimated 2.1 million people were infected in 2015.
Some 35 million people have died from HIV-related causes, including 1.1 million in 2015.
(2017/02/17 14:20)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 02/23 12:32 French artist is entombed in rock for a week
- 02/23 12:24 Genital herpes in pregnancy doubles autism risk-- study
- 02/23 12:15 Apple 'spaceship' headquarters readies for boarding
- 02/23 12:09 Outdated F1 not winning' warns Hamilton
- 02/23 11:51 Exoplanets 101-- Looking for life beyond our Solar System
- 02/23 11:36 Japanese tourists flock to Brighton home of 2015 World Cup glory
- 02/22 14:27 Australian swimmer Hackett to seek help abroad after family bust-up
- 02/22 14:25 Israel soldier sentenced to 18 months for killing Palestinian
- 02/22 14:22 Far-right firebrand Yiannopoulos in trouble over pedophilia remarks
- 02/22 14:20 Scientists find four new miniature frog species in India
- 02/22 14:18 Fewer teen suicide attempts in states with gay marriage-- study
- 02/22 14:15 Canada to welcome 1,200 Yezidi refugees from Iraq
- 02/22 14:13 Chris Brown restrained from model after abuse account
- 02/21 14:43 US gymnasts unveil accusations of abuse by doctor
- 02/21 14:40 60,000-year-old microbes found in Mexican mine-- NASA scientist
- 02/21 14:38 1.4 million children face famine in four countries-- UNICEF
- 02/21 14:36 Drake says Grammys pigeon-holed him as black artist
- 02/21 14:18 'Spiderman' thief gets eight years for $100m Paris art heist
- 02/21 14:14 S.Korean woman gets 6 years over exorcism death in Germany
- 02/20 15:24 'War won't stop us' vow Syria child victims Bana, Abdel
- 02/20 14:40 Dustin Johnson vaults to world golf number one
- 02/20 14:37 Global arms trade highest since Cold War-- study
- 02/20 14:31 Germany bans internet-connected 'spy' doll Cayla
- 02/20 14:18 Melania Trump prays, assails critics in Florida speech
- 02/20 14:11 Hitler's phone sells for more than $240,000
- 02/17 14:36 Australian swimmer Hackett posts bruised face photo amid family turmoil
- 02/17 14:34 South Sudan war reaches 'catastrophic proportions'-- UN report
- 02/17 14:23 Armyworms threaten southern Africa food supply-- UN agency
- 02/17 14:20 Test can detect HIV within a week of infection-- researchers
- 02/17 14:17 ADHD a 'brain disorder', not just bad behaviour-- study
- 02/17 14:14 N. Korea female agents are regime's weapon of choice-- defector
- 02/16 14:01 Study links working remotely to more stress, insomnia
- 02/16 11:47 Bite-mimicking malaria vaccine shows promise-- study
- 02/16 10:59 Johnson wants Bryant to help rebuild Lakers
- 02/16 10:46 King of university degrees is 70-year old Italian
- 02/16 10:32 Chinese superclub Evergrande to end foreign signings
- 02/16 10:15 'Sex with Me'-- Rihanna tops Valentine's playlists
- 02/15 14:21 Iranian women dressed as men barred from football game
- 02/15 14:19 Indian doctors prepare 'world's heaviest woman' for surgery
- 02/15 14:14 Indonesia launches anti-Valentine's Day condom raids
- 02/15 14:12 'Apple-shaped' body could raise risk of diabetes
- 02/15 14:09 Valentine's Day returns to Iraq's IS-free east Mosul
- 02/15 14:06 Actor Hugh Jackman treated for skin cancer again
- 02/14 10:15 Pick my opponent, Pacquiao asks fans
- 02/14 10:08 Only one Russian athlete returns Olympic medal after dope finding
- 02/14 10:01 Astronomers zoom in on megastar's juvenile outburst
- 02/14 09:50 Mourinho's man behind England rugby fitness boost
- 02/14 09:25 Image of 'hatred of our times' wins World Press Photo
- 02/14 09:10 All hail Bey