McDonald's probing hacked tweet slamming Trump
McDonald's is investigating an apparent hack into its Twitter feed following a briefly-posted diatribe against President Donald Trump, the fast-food giant said Thursday.
The fake tweet offered an uncharitable appraisal of Trump, saying, You are actually a disgusting excuse of a President and we would love to have Barack Obama back, also you have tiny hands.
The tweet was deleted mid-morning Thursday soon after being posted to one of the McDonald's official Twitter feeds, but not before being retweeted more than a thousand times and garnering plenty of attention in political and media circles, as well as witty responses.
Twitter notified us that our account was compromised, McDonald's said subsequently on the feed. We deleted the tweet, secured our account and are now investigating this.
Hacking has been a persistent problem in recent years with the growing influence of Twitter and other social media sites.
In April 2013, a hack of the Associated Press resulted in an erroneous post that the White House had been attacked, briefly sending US stocks markets down in a panic.
(2017/03/17 10:02)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/24 15:20 UNICEF decries sale of Cambodian breast milk to US mothers
- 03/24 12:26 Smartphone device can test sperm quality
- 03/24 12:21 New vaccine against rotavirus could curb child deaths
- 03/24 11:33 Porsche celebrates record year with '911' bonus payout
- 03/24 11:30 Singapore court denies full compensation to woman in IVF mix-up
- 03/24 11:25 Most mutations in cancer are random DNA mistakes-- study
- 03/23 11:23 Myanmar mother sues son for calling her a 'prostitute'
- 03/23 10:55 No England-All Blacks rugby clash in 2017
- 03/23 10:52 Jane Austen faked her own marriage twice
- 03/23 10:48 That's not grandad! Corpse confusion in Austria
- 03/23 09:57 Scientists uproot dinosaur family tree
- 03/23 09:51 Sea ice hits new record low at both poles
- 03/22 11:05 Spider venom may offer hope to stroke victims-- scientists
- 03/22 10:58 PSG contract offer 'fake news' - Wenger
- 03/22 10:52 Croc horror-- Love lost after Aussie teen reptile stunt
- 03/22 10:31 New Zealand parrot has 'infectious laugh'
- 03/22 10:27 Face recognition flushes out China's toilet paper crooks
- 03/22 10:14 Twitter suspends more accounts linked to 'terrorism'
- 03/21 14:59 Hacked websites on the rise-- Google
- 03/21 14:09 Mozambican footballer killed in croc attack
- 03/21 14:04 Teacher from Canadian Arctic wins global prize in Dubai
- 03/21 14:00 Climate change 'makes deadly China pollution worse'
- 03/21 13:55 Bill Gates again world's richest man, Trump slips
- 03/21 13:20 Ninth grandchild on the way for Trump
- 03/17 12:13 Bald New Zealand killer wins toupee lawsuit
- 03/17 11:10 Yemen artists paint on walls to protest war
- 03/17 11:01 IOC member compares Russia drugs ban to Holocaust
- 03/17 10:55 New Zealand river recognised as 'legal person'
- 03/17 10:51 Unproven stem cell therapy causes three women to go blind
- 03/17 10:02 McDonald's probing hacked tweet slamming Trump