Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
Even though few people live in the Artic, some seas in the region are heavily polluted with plastic because of an Atlantic ocean current which dumps debris there, researchers said Wednesday.
Scientists aboard the globe traveling French schooner, Tara, in 2013 were surprised to find the seas east of Greenland and north of Scandinavia are a dead-end for plastics, said the report in the journal Science Advances.
The findings stress the importance of properly managing plastic litter at its source, because once it enters the ocean, its destination can be unpredictable, said the report.
The reason the Greenland and Barents Seas and are a dumping ground is known as the North Atlantic branch of the Thermohaline Circulation, a current sometimes called the global ocean conveyer belt, which ferries plastic particles to the area.
The pathway of plastic through the North Atlantic Ocean was also traced using 17,000 satellite buoys.
The debris in the area was estimated to measure hundreds of tons, and included fishing lines, plastic films, fragments and granules.
A similar amount of plastic pile up can be found in areas closer to the equator.
Researchers said the large amounts of film-type plastic made them think the plastic had largely traveled from distant sources, including the coasts of northwest Europe, the UK and the east coast of the US.
The study found that Arctic floating plastic accounts for less than three percent of the global total, but warned it will continue to accumulate in the coming years.
(2017/04/20 11:38)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/28 14:48 Hamilton inspired by "beautiful" Serena in Nastase row
- 04/28 14:45 Soviet ballet defector Baryshnikov granted Latvian citizenship
- 04/28 14:42 Facebook steps up fight on state-led propaganda
- 04/28 14:39 US probes unusual rise in humpback whale deaths
- 04/28 14:25 British inventor takes flight in 'Iron Man' suit
- 04/28 14:21 Home-made bricks for a habitat on Mars
- 04/27 13:01 Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond the grave
- 04/27 12:34 When Nature vents her wrath on grapes
- 04/27 12:26 Serena Williams promises to be back on court after baby
- 04/27 12:16 Japan volcanic island may hold key to coral survival
- 04/27 12:05 Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
- 04/27 11:58 Oscar-winning 'Silence of the Lambs' director dies
- 04/26 14:47 Baby whales 'whisper' to mothers to avoid predators-- study
- 04/26 14:42 Canada-- Ontario to pay guaranteed incomes to the poor
- 04/26 14:38 NASA's Cassini poised to plunge beneath Saturn's rings
- 04/26 14:35 Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles news with WikiTribune
- 04/26 14:30 New actor Trump heightens N. Korea drama-- analysts
- 04/26 14:27 Madonna angered by unauthorized biopic
- 04/25 12:15 Fossils may be earliest known multicellular life-- study
- 04/25 12:08 Elton John caught 'potentially deadly' infection on tour
- 04/25 10:50 'I'll be back'-- Ibrahimovic vows to return
- 04/25 10:37 Australia police stop driver, 12, on epic car journey
- 04/25 10:26 Obama is back for first speech since leaving office
- 04/25 10:19 Rulemakers change to prevent 'Lexi' repeat-- report
- 04/24 11:51 500kg Egyptian sheds half her weight after India surgery
- 04/24 11:11 Sobbing mother video prompts controversy for American Airlines
- 04/24 11:04 Lebanon activists ramp up pressure on reviled rape law
- 04/24 11:00 Trump supporters taunt Hollywood star's Finland art project
- 04/24 10:56 Hidden Michelangelo drawing goes on show in Rome
- 04/24 10:53 Italian court rules mobile phone caused tumour
- 04/21 14:42 Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
- 04/21 14:37 India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
- 04/21 14:34 European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
- 04/21 14:29 Terror strikes Champs Elysees in deadly attack
- 04/21 14:25 Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
- 04/21 14:17 Naked mole-rats can survive near-suffocation-- study
- 04/20 12:50 Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison
- 04/20 12:15 Joshua to Tyson Fury-- shut up and get in the ring
- 04/20 12:09 Fox dumps embattled host over harassment allegations
- 04/20 11:45 'Super-Earth' orbiting nearby star boosts search for extra-solar life
- 04/20 11:38 Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
- 04/20 11:35 Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male