Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
Russia's Supreme Court on Thursday issued a ruling banning Jehovah's Witnesses after the justice ministry called on it to dissolve the extremist organisation.
Supreme Court judge Yury Ivanenko said Russia had decided to close down the administrative centre of Jehovah's Witnesses and the local organisations in its fold and turn their property over to the Russian Federation.
The decision comes after the ministry said it had found signs of extremist activity within the organisation and requested that it be banned.
They represent a threat to the rights of people, public order and public safety, Russian news agencies quoted justice ministry representative Svetlana Borisova as saying.
The group, which has 395 centres across Russia, has vowed to appeal the decision.
I'm shocked, Yaroslav Sivulsky, who represents the group's administrative centre, told reporters.
I didn't expect that this could be possible in modern Russia, where the constitution guarantees freedom of religious practice.
Russia's Jehovah Witnesses have had several run-ins with law enforcement in recent years.
In January, the chairman of the group's branch in the town of Dzerzhinsk was fined for having distributed material that authorities deem extremist, local media reported.
In 2004 Moscow dissolved a branch of the Jehovah's Witnesses. The European Court of Human Rights ruled in 2010 that the move had violated the rights of freedom of religion and association.
(2017/04/21 14:25)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/28 14:48 Hamilton inspired by "beautiful" Serena in Nastase row
- 04/28 14:45 Soviet ballet defector Baryshnikov granted Latvian citizenship
- 04/28 14:42 Facebook steps up fight on state-led propaganda
- 04/28 14:39 US probes unusual rise in humpback whale deaths
- 04/28 14:25 British inventor takes flight in 'Iron Man' suit
- 04/28 14:21 Home-made bricks for a habitat on Mars
- 04/27 13:01 Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond the grave
- 04/27 12:34 When Nature vents her wrath on grapes
- 04/27 12:26 Serena Williams promises to be back on court after baby
- 04/27 12:16 Japan volcanic island may hold key to coral survival
- 04/27 12:05 Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
- 04/27 11:58 Oscar-winning 'Silence of the Lambs' director dies
- 04/26 14:47 Baby whales 'whisper' to mothers to avoid predators-- study
- 04/26 14:42 Canada-- Ontario to pay guaranteed incomes to the poor
- 04/26 14:38 NASA's Cassini poised to plunge beneath Saturn's rings
- 04/26 14:35 Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles news with WikiTribune
- 04/26 14:30 New actor Trump heightens N. Korea drama-- analysts
- 04/26 14:27 Madonna angered by unauthorized biopic
- 04/25 12:15 Fossils may be earliest known multicellular life-- study
- 04/25 12:08 Elton John caught 'potentially deadly' infection on tour
- 04/25 10:50 'I'll be back'-- Ibrahimovic vows to return
- 04/25 10:37 Australia police stop driver, 12, on epic car journey
- 04/25 10:26 Obama is back for first speech since leaving office
- 04/25 10:19 Rulemakers change to prevent 'Lexi' repeat-- report
- 04/24 11:51 500kg Egyptian sheds half her weight after India surgery
- 04/24 11:11 Sobbing mother video prompts controversy for American Airlines
- 04/24 11:04 Lebanon activists ramp up pressure on reviled rape law
- 04/24 11:00 Trump supporters taunt Hollywood star's Finland art project
- 04/24 10:56 Hidden Michelangelo drawing goes on show in Rome
- 04/24 10:53 Italian court rules mobile phone caused tumour
- 04/21 14:42 Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
- 04/21 14:37 India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
- 04/21 14:34 European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
- 04/21 14:29 Terror strikes Champs Elysees in deadly attack
- 04/21 14:25 Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
- 04/21 14:17 Naked mole-rats can survive near-suffocation-- study
- 04/20 12:50 Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison
- 04/20 12:15 Joshua to Tyson Fury-- shut up and get in the ring
- 04/20 12:09 Fox dumps embattled host over harassment allegations
- 04/20 11:45 'Super-Earth' orbiting nearby star boosts search for extra-solar life
- 04/20 11:38 Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
- 04/20 11:35 Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male