European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
Europe's already endangered salamander population faces extinction due to a new, virulent fungus that also poses a broader threat to biodiversity, according to a new study.
Even a small amount of the highly infectious pathogen could wipe out fire salamanders from Western Europe, as the amphibian lacks the immune response to fight it off, researchers reported Wednesday in the journal Nature.
The fungus presents a 'perfect storm', said senior author An Martel, a professor at Ghent University in Belgium.
The result is that within six month's time, infected fire salamander populations are reduced by more than 90 percent, and are finally extirpated.
Following an outbreak in 2014, a team of biologists led by Ghent University monitored a colony of vulnerable salamanders for two years, leading to the grim discovery of the pathogen's fatal impact.
Fungal spores -- protected by cells with thick, water-resistant exteriors -- have a long lifespan and can thrive even when they do not inhabit a living organism.
The pathogen can spread through soil, water and air. It can also attach itself to less susceptible birds or frogs, which in turn spread the infection to salamanders.
Dubbed Bsal -- short for Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans -- the deadly fungi first appeared on the European continent in 2010.
Scientists believe the global trade in forestry, agricultural and wildlife species are responsible for the invasion of fungi in non-native habitats.
Given the super-fungus' characteristics -- high virulence and rapid expansion -- biologists worry that methods to contain the disease may prove ineffective.
Classical measures to control animal diseases such as vaccination and repopulation will not be successful and eradication of the fungus from the ecosystem is unlikely, said Gwij Stegen, one of the authors.
(2017/04/21 14:34)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/28 14:48 Hamilton inspired by "beautiful" Serena in Nastase row
- 04/28 14:45 Soviet ballet defector Baryshnikov granted Latvian citizenship
- 04/28 14:42 Facebook steps up fight on state-led propaganda
- 04/28 14:39 US probes unusual rise in humpback whale deaths
- 04/28 14:25 British inventor takes flight in 'Iron Man' suit
- 04/28 14:21 Home-made bricks for a habitat on Mars
- 04/27 13:01 Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond the grave
- 04/27 12:34 When Nature vents her wrath on grapes
- 04/27 12:26 Serena Williams promises to be back on court after baby
- 04/27 12:16 Japan volcanic island may hold key to coral survival
- 04/27 12:05 Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
- 04/27 11:58 Oscar-winning 'Silence of the Lambs' director dies
- 04/26 14:47 Baby whales 'whisper' to mothers to avoid predators-- study
- 04/26 14:42 Canada-- Ontario to pay guaranteed incomes to the poor
- 04/26 14:38 NASA's Cassini poised to plunge beneath Saturn's rings
- 04/26 14:35 Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles news with WikiTribune
- 04/26 14:30 New actor Trump heightens N. Korea drama-- analysts
- 04/26 14:27 Madonna angered by unauthorized biopic
- 04/25 12:15 Fossils may be earliest known multicellular life-- study
- 04/25 12:08 Elton John caught 'potentially deadly' infection on tour
- 04/25 10:50 'I'll be back'-- Ibrahimovic vows to return
- 04/25 10:37 Australia police stop driver, 12, on epic car journey
- 04/25 10:26 Obama is back for first speech since leaving office
- 04/25 10:19 Rulemakers change to prevent 'Lexi' repeat-- report
- 04/24 11:51 500kg Egyptian sheds half her weight after India surgery
- 04/24 11:11 Sobbing mother video prompts controversy for American Airlines
- 04/24 11:04 Lebanon activists ramp up pressure on reviled rape law
- 04/24 11:00 Trump supporters taunt Hollywood star's Finland art project
- 04/24 10:56 Hidden Michelangelo drawing goes on show in Rome
- 04/24 10:53 Italian court rules mobile phone caused tumour
- 04/21 14:42 Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
- 04/21 14:37 India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
- 04/21 14:34 European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
- 04/21 14:29 Terror strikes Champs Elysees in deadly attack
- 04/21 14:25 Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
- 04/21 14:17 Naked mole-rats can survive near-suffocation-- study
- 04/20 12:50 Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison
- 04/20 12:15 Joshua to Tyson Fury-- shut up and get in the ring
- 04/20 12:09 Fox dumps embattled host over harassment allegations
- 04/20 11:45 'Super-Earth' orbiting nearby star boosts search for extra-solar life
- 04/20 11:38 Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
- 04/20 11:35 Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male