India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
India said Wednesday it will ban ministers and senior officials from using red beacons on their cars to cut through traffic, a longstanding privilege that has caused resentment and accusations of elitism.
From May 1 only emergency services will be allowed to use the flashing beacons to move swiftly through India's notoriously congested streets.
We are removing the rule which allows state and central government to specify who can use the red lights, finance minister Arun Jaitley said at a news conference in New Delhi.
From May 1, no vehicle will have a red light. There will be no exceptions.
The red beacon, perceived as a symbol of privilege and arrogance, is used by ministers and top bureaucrats to cut through traffic while on official business.
But often even lower-level politicians and officials misuse the beacons to show off their importance, especially in smaller towns.
It is also common for policemen to put up barricades and block routes to allow free passage to dignitaries while the rest have to wait for the roads to open.
It's a huge democratic decision, said road transport minister Nitin Gadkari.
Delhi's Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal took the lead in 2015 by asserting he would not have the red beacon on his car.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the son of a tea-seller who takes pride in his humble beginnings, often breaks protocol to shake hands and pose for photos with the public.
(2017/04/21 14:37)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/28 14:48 Hamilton inspired by "beautiful" Serena in Nastase row
- 04/28 14:45 Soviet ballet defector Baryshnikov granted Latvian citizenship
- 04/28 14:42 Facebook steps up fight on state-led propaganda
- 04/28 14:39 US probes unusual rise in humpback whale deaths
- 04/28 14:25 British inventor takes flight in 'Iron Man' suit
- 04/28 14:21 Home-made bricks for a habitat on Mars
- 04/27 13:01 Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond the grave
- 04/27 12:34 When Nature vents her wrath on grapes
- 04/27 12:26 Serena Williams promises to be back on court after baby
- 04/27 12:16 Japan volcanic island may hold key to coral survival
- 04/27 12:05 Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
- 04/27 11:58 Oscar-winning 'Silence of the Lambs' director dies
- 04/26 14:47 Baby whales 'whisper' to mothers to avoid predators-- study
- 04/26 14:42 Canada-- Ontario to pay guaranteed incomes to the poor
- 04/26 14:38 NASA's Cassini poised to plunge beneath Saturn's rings
- 04/26 14:35 Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles news with WikiTribune
- 04/26 14:30 New actor Trump heightens N. Korea drama-- analysts
- 04/26 14:27 Madonna angered by unauthorized biopic
- 04/25 12:15 Fossils may be earliest known multicellular life-- study
- 04/25 12:08 Elton John caught 'potentially deadly' infection on tour
- 04/25 10:50 'I'll be back'-- Ibrahimovic vows to return
- 04/25 10:37 Australia police stop driver, 12, on epic car journey
- 04/25 10:26 Obama is back for first speech since leaving office
- 04/25 10:19 Rulemakers change to prevent 'Lexi' repeat-- report
- 04/24 11:51 500kg Egyptian sheds half her weight after India surgery
- 04/24 11:11 Sobbing mother video prompts controversy for American Airlines
- 04/24 11:04 Lebanon activists ramp up pressure on reviled rape law
- 04/24 11:00 Trump supporters taunt Hollywood star's Finland art project
- 04/24 10:56 Hidden Michelangelo drawing goes on show in Rome
- 04/24 10:53 Italian court rules mobile phone caused tumour
- 04/21 14:42 Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
- 04/21 14:37 India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
- 04/21 14:34 European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
- 04/21 14:29 Terror strikes Champs Elysees in deadly attack
- 04/21 14:25 Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
- 04/21 14:17 Naked mole-rats can survive near-suffocation-- study
- 04/20 12:50 Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison
- 04/20 12:15 Joshua to Tyson Fury-- shut up and get in the ring
- 04/20 12:09 Fox dumps embattled host over harassment allegations
- 04/20 11:45 'Super-Earth' orbiting nearby star boosts search for extra-solar life
- 04/20 11:38 Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
- 04/20 11:35 Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male