Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
Reigning Olympic 100m hurdles champion Brianna Rollins has been handed a one-year suspension for failing to properly file whereabouts information for out-of-competition testing, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) said Thursday.
Her punishment includes loss of all results retroactive to September 27, 2016, the date of her last missed whereabouts report, but doesn't affect the Rio gold won by Rollins.
The ban would keep her out of this year's IAAF World Championships in August at London.
USADA said in a statement that the 25-year-old athlete, who led a US podium sweep of the 100m hurdles at the Rio Games, received three whereabouts failures over the course of 12 months, which constitutes a doping rule violation.
Rollins did complete eight out-of-competition tests over the course of 2016 and did not test positive.
She also passed all eight in-competition drug tests she took last year.
But Rollins was unavailable for tests on April 27, September 13 and September 27, for reasons that appear in the written report by the panel from the American Arbitration Association that heard her appeal to be mix-ups.
While the panel found that a violation had indeed occurred, in their written decision they noted that the case involved the imposition of a serious penalty on a brilliant athlete who is not charged or suspected of using banned substances of any kind.
This is a first offense, she had been frequently tested for years, and she has a perfect drug-free record, both in and out-of-competition, the panel said of Rollins. Her clean tests included an out-of-competition test on May 3, 2016 (six days after Incident One) and an out-of-competition test on October 14, 2016 (31 and 17 days, respectively, after Incidents Two and Three).
The arbitrators added that Rollins showed no evidence of avoiding testing, masking drug use, or using drugs.
(2017/04/21 14:42)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/28 14:48 Hamilton inspired by "beautiful" Serena in Nastase row
- 04/28 14:45 Soviet ballet defector Baryshnikov granted Latvian citizenship
- 04/28 14:42 Facebook steps up fight on state-led propaganda
- 04/28 14:39 US probes unusual rise in humpback whale deaths
- 04/28 14:25 British inventor takes flight in 'Iron Man' suit
- 04/28 14:21 Home-made bricks for a habitat on Mars
- 04/27 13:01 Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond the grave
- 04/27 12:34 When Nature vents her wrath on grapes
- 04/27 12:26 Serena Williams promises to be back on court after baby
- 04/27 12:16 Japan volcanic island may hold key to coral survival
- 04/27 12:05 Humans in America '115,000 years earlier than thought'
- 04/27 11:58 Oscar-winning 'Silence of the Lambs' director dies
- 04/26 14:47 Baby whales 'whisper' to mothers to avoid predators-- study
- 04/26 14:42 Canada-- Ontario to pay guaranteed incomes to the poor
- 04/26 14:38 NASA's Cassini poised to plunge beneath Saturn's rings
- 04/26 14:35 Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales tackles news with WikiTribune
- 04/26 14:30 New actor Trump heightens N. Korea drama-- analysts
- 04/26 14:27 Madonna angered by unauthorized biopic
- 04/25 12:15 Fossils may be earliest known multicellular life-- study
- 04/25 12:08 Elton John caught 'potentially deadly' infection on tour
- 04/25 10:50 'I'll be back'-- Ibrahimovic vows to return
- 04/25 10:37 Australia police stop driver, 12, on epic car journey
- 04/25 10:26 Obama is back for first speech since leaving office
- 04/25 10:19 Rulemakers change to prevent 'Lexi' repeat-- report
- 04/24 11:51 500kg Egyptian sheds half her weight after India surgery
- 04/24 11:11 Sobbing mother video prompts controversy for American Airlines
- 04/24 11:04 Lebanon activists ramp up pressure on reviled rape law
- 04/24 11:00 Trump supporters taunt Hollywood star's Finland art project
- 04/24 10:56 Hidden Michelangelo drawing goes on show in Rome
- 04/24 10:53 Italian court rules mobile phone caused tumour
- 04/21 14:42 Olympic champ Rollins banned for whereabouts rule violation
- 04/21 14:37 India bans red car beacons to end elitist culture
- 04/21 14:34 European salamander at risk of extinction-- study
- 04/21 14:29 Terror strikes Champs Elysees in deadly attack
- 04/21 14:25 Russia Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses?
- 04/21 14:17 Naked mole-rats can survive near-suffocation-- study
- 04/20 12:50 Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez commits suicide in prison
- 04/20 12:15 Joshua to Tyson Fury-- shut up and get in the ring
- 04/20 12:09 Fox dumps embattled host over harassment allegations
- 04/20 11:45 'Super-Earth' orbiting nearby star boosts search for extra-solar life
- 04/20 11:38 Plastic pollution builds up in Arctic waters-- study
- 04/20 11:35 Creativity, a mating boost for the unattractive male