Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want
Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather says he has no problem coming out of retirement to fight mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor in what some are predicting will be one of the richest fights in history.
McGregor is a tough competitor. People all around the world demanded this fight so I had to give them what they wanted to see, Mayweather told BSOTV in an interview that aired Saturday.
They asked for this fight. I was in retirement, but they wanted me back and I'm back.
Mayweather was making his first public comments since Wednesday's announcement of the much-discussed fight which will take place August 26 in the US boxing capital of Las Vegas.
The 40-year-old Mayweather has been retired since beating Andre Berto in September 2015 and improving his career record to 49-0.
The matchup with McGregor gives Mayweather a chance to reach the 50-0 career milestone.
Asked about financial details of the fight, Mayweather said both sides are pleased.
Both parties are very happy, Mayweather said. He's very happy, I'm very happy and I can't wait.
But many boxing experts have slammed the event as an exhibition spectacle, pointing to the fact that the 28-year-old McGregor has never had a professional boxing match and only dabbled in the sport as a teenager.
The pair have yet to get together face-to-face since the announcement but they are expected to announce a promotional tour soon that will take them to a couple of major US cities.
You're supposed to stand behind your man. Stand behind the fighter that you believe in, Mayweather said about McGregor's supporters. He's a hell of a competitor.
(2017/06/19 11:23)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/26 12:34 Struggling McLaren 'never been so uncompetitive'
- 06/26 12:25 RugbyU-- Sonny Bill gifts All Blacks kit to young Lions fan
- 06/26 12:20 'Pee Park'? China tries to correct bad translations
- 06/26 12:15 WTF? World Taekwondo Federation rebrands over acronym
- 06/26 12:11 Prince Harry 'wanted out' of royal role
- 06/26 12:08 Families separated by US-Mexico border have fleeting reunion
- 06/23 14:40 Pregnant Montano runs 800m at US World Championship trials
- 06/23 14:37 Weekly romp could help ageing minds-- study
- 06/23 14:29 California man vists Disneyland 2,000 days in a row
- 06/23 14:24 CIA penetrated by insider network of candy thieves
- 06/23 14:19 Whales shrank before populations crashed-- study
- 06/23 14:16 Exploding whipped cream dispenser kills fitness blogger
- 06/22 14:43 Bolt to run in Monaco before world championships
- 06/22 14:36 World population to reach 9.8 bln in 2050, UN says
- 06/22 14:33 China's dog meat festival opens despite ban rumours
- 06/22 14:26 Queen's hat-- An 'anti-Brexit' message?
- 06/22 14:19 Trump's new idea -- a 'solar wall' on Mexican border
- 06/22 14:14 New therapy for macular degeneration shows promise-- study
- 06/21 14:41 Long before the internet, cats charmed Stone Age humans
- 06/21 14:37 Man bun, cornrows and freckles-- Ken gets a makeover
- 06/21 14:35 Einstein letters on God, Israel and physics fetch $210,000
- 06/21 14:33 Sex offenders cannot be barred from social media-- top US court
- 06/21 14:19 Myanmar sentences 'exorcist' to death for child murders
- 06/21 14:16 He speaks! Top White House aide Kushner gives rare remarks
- 06/20 15:24 Tiger Woods says he's getting 'professional help'
- 06/20 10:06 NASA discovers 10 new Earth-size exoplanets
- 06/20 08:26 Boxing hall of famer Lewis slams Mayweather-McGregor as 'ridiculous'
- 06/20 08:20 Angry Shenhua fans turn on misfiring Tevez
- 06/20 08:12 Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- 06/20 08:09 Octopus inspires S. Korea 'breakthrough' adhesive patch
- 06/19 12:40 Zidane pleads with Ronaldo after 'I quit' bombshell
- 06/19 11:35 Dutch firm aims to deliver first flying car in 2018
- 06/19 11:28 Penalty goals among radical proposals up for debate
- 06/19 11:23 Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want
- 06/19 11:17 Spanish bullfighter dies after being gored
- 06/19 11:12 New antibiotic potentially big in fighting drug-resistant bacteria