Penalty goals among radical proposals up for debate
Penalty goals for handling the ball on the line could be a thing of the future if proposals compiled by the International Football Association Board's (IFAB) technical director are accepted.
The proposals in a document titled 'Play Fair' -- which also include players being able to play freekicks and corners to themselves -- are to be debated over the next nine months and could be added to at a meeting of Ifab, football's global rule making body, next month.
The intention is to increase the amount of playing time, according to The Times who have seen the document.
It is a radical document, Ifab technical director David Elleray told The Times.
You could say that it is a quiet revolution aimed at getting football even better.
My starting point was to look at the laws and say 'what are they for?', and if there is no particular reason then would changing them make the game better, added Elleray, a former leading referee.
Awarding a goal for handball on the line would have probably seen Ghana reach the 2010 World Cup semi-finals as Uruguay's Luis Suarez was sent off for handling Dominic Adiyiah's goalbound shot on the line in the dying seconds of extra-time -- Asamoah Gyan failed to convert the penalty and the South American side went on to win in the penalty shootout.
Elleray also recommends that referees only be able to blow for half-time or full-time when the ball is out of play and penalties being awarded if a goalkeeper handles a backpass.
On the other hand goalkeepers will be able to play goal kicks to team-mates inside the area with their opponents obliged to be outside it.
However, for those taking a penalty there may be no second chance should their first effort be saved and rebound into play -- the document recommends that a goalkick be awarded automatically.
There would thus be no need for players to crowd on the edge of the penalty area ready to run in early, reads the document.
To discourage them further, if an attacking player enters the penalty area before the penalty kick is taken the kick is 'missed'; if a defending player does the same and the kick is missed/saved it is retaken.
(2017/06/19 11:28)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/26 12:34 Struggling McLaren 'never been so uncompetitive'
- 06/26 12:25 RugbyU-- Sonny Bill gifts All Blacks kit to young Lions fan
- 06/26 12:20 'Pee Park'? China tries to correct bad translations
- 06/26 12:15 WTF? World Taekwondo Federation rebrands over acronym
- 06/26 12:11 Prince Harry 'wanted out' of royal role
- 06/26 12:08 Families separated by US-Mexico border have fleeting reunion
- 06/23 14:40 Pregnant Montano runs 800m at US World Championship trials
- 06/23 14:37 Weekly romp could help ageing minds-- study
- 06/23 14:29 California man vists Disneyland 2,000 days in a row
- 06/23 14:24 CIA penetrated by insider network of candy thieves
- 06/23 14:19 Whales shrank before populations crashed-- study
- 06/23 14:16 Exploding whipped cream dispenser kills fitness blogger
- 06/22 14:43 Bolt to run in Monaco before world championships
- 06/22 14:36 World population to reach 9.8 bln in 2050, UN says
- 06/22 14:33 China's dog meat festival opens despite ban rumours
- 06/22 14:26 Queen's hat-- An 'anti-Brexit' message?
- 06/22 14:19 Trump's new idea -- a 'solar wall' on Mexican border
- 06/22 14:14 New therapy for macular degeneration shows promise-- study
- 06/21 14:41 Long before the internet, cats charmed Stone Age humans
- 06/21 14:37 Man bun, cornrows and freckles-- Ken gets a makeover
- 06/21 14:35 Einstein letters on God, Israel and physics fetch $210,000
- 06/21 14:33 Sex offenders cannot be barred from social media-- top US court
- 06/21 14:19 Myanmar sentences 'exorcist' to death for child murders
- 06/21 14:16 He speaks! Top White House aide Kushner gives rare remarks
- 06/20 15:24 Tiger Woods says he's getting 'professional help'
- 06/20 10:06 NASA discovers 10 new Earth-size exoplanets
- 06/20 08:26 Boxing hall of famer Lewis slams Mayweather-McGregor as 'ridiculous'
- 06/20 08:20 Angry Shenhua fans turn on misfiring Tevez
- 06/20 08:12 Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- 06/20 08:09 Octopus inspires S. Korea 'breakthrough' adhesive patch
- 06/19 12:40 Zidane pleads with Ronaldo after 'I quit' bombshell
- 06/19 11:35 Dutch firm aims to deliver first flying car in 2018
- 06/19 11:28 Penalty goals among radical proposals up for debate
- 06/19 11:23 Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want
- 06/19 11:17 Spanish bullfighter dies after being gored
- 06/19 11:12 New antibiotic potentially big in fighting drug-resistant bacteria