Zidane pleads with Ronaldo after 'I quit' bombshell
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane broke off his holiday to call Cristiano Ronaldo in a bid to persuade his unsettled star not to quit the club, Spanish sports daily Marca claimed on Sunday.
Ronaldo, on Confederations Cup duty in Russia with Portugal, is reportedly furious over a tax probe into the off shore accounts dealing with his image rights, and has reportedly vowed to leave Spain.
I am leaving Real Madrid, Marca claim Ronaldo told his Portuguese colleagues. I have made a decision. There is no turning back, the daily sports paper reported.
According to Marca when Zidane heard Ronaldo had sworn to quit he broke off from his family holiday and called his No7 to tell him Madrid needed him for his goals, and also his winning mentality.
Marca also reported that club captain Sergio Ramos had called Ronaldo to ask him to stay.
In just 265 games for Real Madrid Ronaldo has scored 285 goals, winning three Champions League finals in four seasons.
The 32-year-old Ronaldo is the latest football superstar to come under scrutiny for tax evasion after Lionel Messi was handed a 2.1-million-euro ($2.3 million) fine last year for avoiding paying taxes on part of the income he earned from image rights via companies in Belize, Britain, Switzerland and Uruguay.
Ronaldo is accused of defrauding the authorities of 14.7 million euros in tax through offshore companies.
(2017/06/19 12:40)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/26 12:34 Struggling McLaren 'never been so uncompetitive'
- 06/26 12:25 RugbyU-- Sonny Bill gifts All Blacks kit to young Lions fan
- 06/26 12:20 'Pee Park'? China tries to correct bad translations
- 06/26 12:15 WTF? World Taekwondo Federation rebrands over acronym
- 06/26 12:11 Prince Harry 'wanted out' of royal role
- 06/26 12:08 Families separated by US-Mexico border have fleeting reunion
- 06/23 14:40 Pregnant Montano runs 800m at US World Championship trials
- 06/23 14:37 Weekly romp could help ageing minds-- study
- 06/23 14:29 California man vists Disneyland 2,000 days in a row
- 06/23 14:24 CIA penetrated by insider network of candy thieves
- 06/23 14:19 Whales shrank before populations crashed-- study
- 06/23 14:16 Exploding whipped cream dispenser kills fitness blogger
- 06/22 14:43 Bolt to run in Monaco before world championships
- 06/22 14:36 World population to reach 9.8 bln in 2050, UN says
- 06/22 14:33 China's dog meat festival opens despite ban rumours
- 06/22 14:26 Queen's hat-- An 'anti-Brexit' message?
- 06/22 14:19 Trump's new idea -- a 'solar wall' on Mexican border
- 06/22 14:14 New therapy for macular degeneration shows promise-- study
- 06/21 14:41 Long before the internet, cats charmed Stone Age humans
- 06/21 14:37 Man bun, cornrows and freckles-- Ken gets a makeover
- 06/21 14:35 Einstein letters on God, Israel and physics fetch $210,000
- 06/21 14:33 Sex offenders cannot be barred from social media-- top US court
- 06/21 14:19 Myanmar sentences 'exorcist' to death for child murders
- 06/21 14:16 He speaks! Top White House aide Kushner gives rare remarks
- 06/20 15:24 Tiger Woods says he's getting 'professional help'
- 06/20 10:06 NASA discovers 10 new Earth-size exoplanets
- 06/20 08:26 Boxing hall of famer Lewis slams Mayweather-McGregor as 'ridiculous'
- 06/20 08:20 Angry Shenhua fans turn on misfiring Tevez
- 06/20 08:12 Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- 06/20 08:09 Octopus inspires S. Korea 'breakthrough' adhesive patch
- 06/19 12:40 Zidane pleads with Ronaldo after 'I quit' bombshell
- 06/19 11:35 Dutch firm aims to deliver first flying car in 2018
- 06/19 11:28 Penalty goals among radical proposals up for debate
- 06/19 11:23 Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want
- 06/19 11:17 Spanish bullfighter dies after being gored
- 06/19 11:12 New antibiotic potentially big in fighting drug-resistant bacteria