Applications for Refugee Status in Japan Soar 80 Pct in 2017
Tokyo, Feb. 13 (Jiji Press)--The number of foreigners who applied for refugee status in Japan in 2017 came to a record 19,628, up about 80 pct from the previous year, the Justice Ministry said in a preliminary report on Tuesday.
Only 20 of them saw their refugee applications accepted, as the ministry believes that most of the applicants simply wanted to work in Japan.
The ministry used to allow all refugee applicants to work in Japan six months after submitting applications. But after it abolished this rule last month, the daily number of refugee applications fell about 50 pct, according to ministry officials.
In 2017, the number of applicants from the Philippines shot up 3.5-fold to 4,895, the largest group by nationality, followed by 3,116 from Vietnam, up 2.9-fold, 2,226 from Sri Lanka, up 2.4-fold, and 2,038 from Indonesia, up 10 pct.
None in the 10 largest applicant groups by nationality was given refugee status.
- 02/18 16:31 Drone Use in Agriculture Increasing in Japan
- 02/18 13:02 Japan, Latvia Agree on Need for Pressure on N. Korea
- 02/17 22:50 (Update) Fujii Becomes Youngest Shogi Competition Winner
- 02/17 20:49 Hanyu Defends Olympic Figure Skating Title, 1st in 66 Yrs
- 02/17 17:36 Shogi Sensation Fujii Becomes Youngest Competition Winner
- 02/17 17:21 Trump Recommended to Mull New Tariffs on Steel, Aluminum
- 02/17 15:00 Japanese Astronaut Kanai Ends Spacewalk for Robot Arm Repair
- 02/17 14:28 Japan's Kono Appeals for Need to Keep Pressure on N. Korea
- 02/17 10:15 FOCUS: Local Rules for "Minpaku" Private Lodging Biz Being Prepared
- 02/16 22:01 Demonstrators Call for Dismissal of Japan Tax Agency Chief
- 02/16 21:07 Japan May Defer Announcement of New Era Name until Year-End or Later
- 02/16 17:57 Japan Govt Presents Plan to Reappoint Kuroda as BOJ Governor
- 02/16 17:20 Virtual Currency Trading Boom Seen to Boost Tax Filing in Japan
- 02/16 17:13 LDP Constitution Panel OKs Upper House Electoral Reform Steps
- 02/16 16:56 Abe Cabinet Support Rises to 48 Pct: Jiji Poll
- 02/16 16:05 [INTERVIEW] 12-Year-Old Kabuki Actor Ichikawa Somegoro VIII Takes on Stage
- 02/16 15:50 Japan Aiming for Early 60s' Employment Rate of 67 Pct in 2020
- 02/16 13:47 Japan to Raise Govt Workers' Retirement Age to 65
- 02/16 10:58 Senior U.S Naval Officers in Okinawa Sacked
- 02/16 09:30 Yanagawa Offers Hospitality to Foreigners with Easy Japanese
- 02/15 22:36 Majority of Japanese Tolerant of Physical Discipline on Children: NGO Survey
- 02/15 21:51 INTERVIEW: Next Japan Envoy to U.S. Vows Utmost Effort on N. Korean Issues
- 02/15 19:42 Japan Sees 11th Ruling Finding 2017 Poll Constitutional
- 02/15 19:38 Tokyo Sees Highest Earthquake Risks in Old Town Districts
- 02/15 15:57 Japan Fatal Accidents by Aged Drivers Stay at High Level in 2017
- 02/15 09:06 Japan Dec. Core Machinery Orders Down 11.9 Pct
- 02/15 02:37 Abe, Trump Agree to Maintain Pressure on N. Korea
- 02/15 01:55 Japan Spots Possible Ship-to-Ship Transfer to N. Korean Tanker
- 02/14 22:43 Japan to Pick 11 Centers for Genome-Based Cancer Treatment
- 02/14 22:07 Court Backs Extended Display of Monument to Korean Laborers
- 02/14 18:24 Japan to Introduce New Compulsory Subjects in High Schools
- 02/14 17:51 Abe Calls Japan's Defense-Only Posture "Tough Strategy"
- 02/14 13:11 Japan Auto Unions Submit Wage Requests
- 02/14 09:21 Japan Oct.-Dec. GDP Up 0.1 Pct from Previous Qtr
- 02/13 22:26 (Update) Coincheck Submits Biz Improvement Report
- 02/13 20:37 (Update) Japan Honors Shogi Master Habu, Go Champ Iyama
- 02/13 20:18 Meiji to Provide Mexican Farmers with Rare White Cacao Saplings
- 02/13 19:42 Applications for Refugee Status in Japan Soar 80 Pct in 2017
- 02/13 18:54 Girls' Physical Performance Hits New Highs: Govt Survey
- 02/13 17:29 Coincheck Unfreezes Customer Yen Accounts
- 02/13 16:55 (Update) Abe Told N. Korea of Japan's Positions on Pending Issues
- 02/13 15:40 1st Doping Case by Japanese Athlete in Winter Games Found
- 02/13 15:04 NBC Apologizes for Remarks on Japan Following Korean Backlash
- 02/13 12:49 U.S. Mulling "Reciprocal Tax" Even on Allies: Trump
- 02/13 00:27 Coming-of-Age Ceremony Held for Victims of Failed Kimono Firm
- 02/12 20:52 North's Denuclearization on Dialogue Agenda: S. Korean Prime Min.