Japan Enacts Amended Water Supply Law
Tokyo, Dec. 6 (Jiji Press)--Japan's Diet enacted Thursday a bill to amend the water supply law aimed at promoting local governments' outsourcing of water supply services to the private sector, amid concerns over possible hikes in household water costs and deterioration in tap water quality.
The House of Representatives, the lower chamber of the Diet, approved the amendment bill by a majority vote at a plenary session, with support mainly from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party and its coalition ally, Komeito. The House of Councillors, the upper chamber, passed the bill the previous day.
The Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan and other opposition parties had objected to the law revision for fear of worsening of water supply services after private companies take over them.
The revised law encourages local governments having difficulty managing the water supply business amid declining profitability and facility aging to adopt the so-called concession formula, which allows them to sell to the private sector rights to operate the services while remaining as state-licensed water suppliers.
It will be the first time for Japan to introduce the cost-cutting formula utilizing private-sector know-how. Miyagi Prefecture and the city of Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, are considering adopting it.
- 12/19 21:26 (Update) Japan Aiming to Create Int'l Data Exchange Zone
- 12/19 20:42 Japan to Ban Pilots with Above-Limit Alcohol Levels from Duty
- 12/19 19:07 Nakasone Persuaded Reagan on INF Elimination: Files
- 12/19 18:23 Supreme Court Finds 2017 Lower House Election Constitutional
- 12/19 17:14 "2-plus-Alpha" Isle Option with Russia Mulled 60 Yrs Ago: Records
- 12/19 15:47 Japan Aiming to Create Int'l Data Exchange Zone
- 12/19 15:41 U.S. Sought BOJ Discount Rate Cut amid Chip Trade Row
- 12/19 12:58 Ex-Head of Kimono Rental Firm Given Prison Term for Fraud
- 12/19 12:18 On-Premise Smoking Ban to Take Effect in Japan Next July
- 12/19 10:00 Japan Govt Calling for Proper Use of Snow Blowers
- 12/19 09:05 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 737.3 B. Yen in Nov.
- 12/19 09:00 Japan SDF Marking 50th Year of Opening Doors to Women
- 12/18 22:51 Upper Limits Eyed for Nursing Operators' Acceptance of Foreign Workers
- 12/18 20:57 Number of Visitors to Japan Tops 30 M. for First Time
- 12/18 19:11 INTERVIEW: U.S. Economist Sees Oct. 2019 Tax Hike as Appropriate
- 12/18 18:08 Japan Adopts Plan to Procure 105 F-35 Stealth Fighters from U.S.
- 12/18 16:19 Water Evidence Detected on Many Asteroids by Japan Team
- 12/18 16:10 Documents Show Ghosn's Deferred Pay Was "Fixed"
- 12/18 15:52 Japan New Defense Plans OK Aircraft Carrier Operation
- 12/18 13:41 GSDF Stray Shell Accident Caused by Multiple Human Errors
- 12/18 12:51 Japan Forecasts 1.3 Pct Real Economic Growth for FY 2019
- 12/18 10:00 Girl Group under Spotlight for Performing at Kyoto Temples
- 12/18 03:14 Japan Govt Drafts Details of New Work Visas
- 12/18 02:16 Nissan Defers Selection of Chairman to Succeed Disgraced Ghosn
- 12/17 20:49 Consumer Group Sues Tokyo Medical Univ. over Exam-Rigging
- 12/17 15:52 Explosion in Sapporo Seen Caused by Gas
- 12/17 01:30 42 Injured in Explosion at Sapporo Eatery
- 12/16 18:11 Foreigner Consultation Services to Have Translation Systems
- 12/16 16:03 Japan to Prioritize Long-Range Missiles for Island Defense
- 12/16 12:30 Toyosu Wholesalers Want to Sell Fish to Consumers
- 12/16 10:27 U.N. Climate Talks Adopt Rule Book for Paris Agreement
- 12/15 19:49 (Update) Okinawa Gov. Tamaki Shows Resolve to Block U.S. Base Relocation
- 12/15 18:49 Japan to Forecast FY 2019 Growth of around 1.3 Pct
- 12/15 15:47 Okinawa Gov. Tamaki Shows Resolve to Block U.S. Base Relocation
- 12/15 13:37 "Tonari no Totoro" Hits Screen in China
- 12/15 01:27 Japan Govt to Reduce Fresh Bond Issuance for 9th Year
- 12/14 23:00 Citizens, Opposition Lawmakers Protest Landfilling off Henoko
- 12/14 21:33 World's 1st Test for Avoiding Drone Collisions Held in Fukushima
- 12/14 21:04 Japan Ruling Camp Adopts FY 2019 Tax System Reform Package
- 12/14 17:46 Man Sentenced to 18 Years over Fatal Road Rage Incident
- 12/14 17:10 Abe Cabinet's Support Rating Down at 38 Pct: Jiji Poll
- 12/14 16:41 Soil Placement Starts for U.S. Base Relocation in Okinawa
- 12/14 16:24 Inappropriate Admissions Practices Found at 10 Med Schools
- 12/14 09:05 Japan Big Makers' Dec. Sentiment Stays Flat
- 12/14 08:48 Moscow Cites 1960 Documents over Peace Treaty Talks with Japan
- 12/13 23:04 Tokyo-Naha Standoff Continues before Start of Landfilling off Henoko
- 12/13 21:50 Japan to Introduce 12 Skills Tests for New Visa for Foreign Workers
- 12/13 16:02 Japan Economy Marks 2nd-Longest Postwar Growth
- 12/13 14:30 (Update) 27.47-T.-Yen Budget Eyed for Japan's Next Defense Program
- 12/13 13:45 INTERVIEW: Ex-USTR Official Expects Vehicle Quota on Japan
- 12/13 12:58 Japan's FY 2019 Draft Budget Likely to Total 101 T. Yen
- 12/13 11:30 Okinawa School Kids Flee 700 Times from U.S. Aircraft
- 12/13 10:34 Budget for Japan's New Defense Program to Top 27 T. Yen
- 12/13 07:48 Tokyo-Hokkaido Shinkansen Travel to Take Less Than 4 Hours
- 12/13 00:06 Japan to Set Up 100 Inquiry Counters for Foreigners
- 12/12 23:50 Youngest Pro Shogi Player Fujii Marks 100th Win
- 12/12 12:56 Japan Producer Prices Up 2.3 Pct in Nov.