Tokyo-Seoul Ties to Stay Sour after Moon's Remarks
Tokyo, Jan. 11 (Jiji Press)--Japan-South Korea relations are seen staying chilly after South Korean President Moon Jae-in, in his closely watched press conference on Thursday, did not suggest any solution to the issue of wartime labor and criticized the Japanese side's response on the matter.
The two-hour New Year's press conference was dominated by questions from South Korean reporters about North Korea and the domestic economy. The president could have finished without mentioning Japan-South Korea ties if he had not taken a question from a Japanese journalist unexpectedly.
In his answer, Moon blamed Japanese politicians for politicizing history issues between the two countries and urged the Japanese government to face the issues with a more humble attitude. He finished by saying in a humorous tone that he actually pointed to a different reporter behind the Japanese journalist.
Following Moon's remarks, Japanese State Minister for Foreign Affairs Masahisa Sato in a Twitter post harshly criticized the president for "repeating remarks that did not recognize facts as facts."
Former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, currently head of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party's Policy Research Council, told reporters that the presidential remarks were "very regrettable" as they seemed to ignore the current situation between Japan and South Korea.
- 01/24 02:14 Japan, S. Korea Ministers Trade Barbs over "Threatening Flight"
- 01/23 22:28 Japan FTC Begins Surveys on IT Giants
- 01/23 20:32 (Update) S. Korea Accuses Japan Patrol Plane of Threatening Flight Again
- 01/23 19:58 Abe Calls for Worldwide Data Governance under WTO
- 01/23 16:11 Nissin Apologizes for Skin Color of Naomi Osaka on Anime Ad
- 01/23 15:03 (Update 2) BOJ Keeps Policy Intact, Cuts Inflation Forecasts
- 01/23 13:39 (Update) Abe, Putin Fail to Agree on Early Conclusion of Territorial Talks
- 01/23 10:18 Koreeda's "Shoplifters" Nominated for Academy Award
- 01/23 09:33 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 55.3 B. Yen in Dec.
- 01/23 02:51 Abe, Putin Vow to Take Leadership in Peace Treaty Talks
- 01/22 23:47 (Update) Panel Unable to Find Cover-Up over Japan Labor Survey
- 01/22 17:57 Japan Preparing to Ensure Medical Services during 10 Holidays
- 01/22 17:41 Japan Group Moving to Commercialize Nasal Spray Drug for ASD
- 01/22 17:35 Firms, Not Govt, Should Decide on Wage Hikes: Keidanren
- 01/22 14:14 Princess Mako's Boyfriend Says His Mother's Money Trouble Solved
- 01/22 10:00 Greater Aid Eyed for Rural Experience Programs for Children
- 01/21 22:27 NGT48 Member Assault Case Highlights Idol Rights Protection
- 01/21 20:30 Upcoming Diet Session May See Fewest Bills under Current Constitution
- 01/21 19:18 Tokyo's Hachijojima May Be Humpback Whale's New Northernmost Breeding Region
- 01/21 18:26 Japan Posts Radar Sounds as Lock-On Evidence, To End Talks
- 01/21 17:05 Mystery Deepening over Human Bones Found at Schools in Japan
- 01/21 15:53 (Update) Emperor, Empress Mourn for WWII Civilian Sailor Victims
- 01/21 14:06 Ghosn Pledges to Stay in Japan for Bail
- 01/21 11:12 86-Year-Old Miura Gives Up on Mount Aconcagua Summit
- 01/21 09:41 Excerpts from Interview with Ski Jumper Kobayashi
- 01/20 22:56 France Proposes Nissan-Renault Business Integration
- 01/20 19:46 113-Year-Old Japanese, World's Oldest Man, Dies
- 01/20 16:18 Abe to Hold Talks with Putin to Promote Island Talks
- 01/19 19:41 Japan Cautiously Hopes for Progress on N. Korea Denuclearization
- 01/19 18:38 Ichiyo Higuchi's "Takekurabe" Manuscript Fetches 21 M. Yen
- 01/19 17:32 TPP Ministers Call for Enhancing Open Trade System
- 01/19 14:10 Japan to Disclose Radio Sounds as Proof of Radar Lock-On
- 01/18 21:39 (Update) Nissan, Mitsubishi Detect Improper Payments to Ghosn
- 01/18 18:09 Abe Cabinet Support Rises to 43 Pct: Jiji Poll
- 01/18 16:57 Mitsubishi Motors Alleges Ex-Boss Ghosn Improperly Paid by Dutch Unit
- 01/18 16:06 (Update) Japan Successfully Launches 4th Epsilon Rocket with 7 Satellites
- 01/18 14:17 Western Japan City Sacks Otter as Tourism Ambassador
- 01/18 13:43 Japan Successfully Launches 4th Epsilon Rocket with 7 Satellites
- 01/18 13:18 Japan to Convene Regular Diet Session on Jan. 28
- 01/18 13:15 10th Antique "Hina" Doll Exhibition Starts in Tokyo
- 01/18 12:30 Number of Suicides in Japan Hits 37-Year Low in 2018
- 01/18 11:54 Japan Govt Revises FY 2019 Budget after Bungled Labor Survey
- 01/18 10:30 Ski Jumping Star Kobayashi Happy with Key Competition Victory
- 01/18 08:43 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Dec.
- 01/18 07:31 Japan Govt Decides to Revise Cybersecurity Guidelines
- 01/18 00:22 (Update) Japan to Punish Labor Bureaucrats over Survey Irregularities
- 01/17 23:21 Japanese Court Backs Demolition of Building Hit by March 2011 Tsunami
- 01/17 17:50 (Update 2) Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Hanshin Quake
- 01/17 15:24 Emperor Akihito's Abdication Ceremony to Start at 5 P.M.
- 01/17 14:46 Pentagon Official Welcomes Japan's New Defense Guidelines
- 01/17 14:27 (Update) Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Great Hanshin Quake
- 01/17 11:24 Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Great Hanshin Quake