Japan Firms in Rural Areas Facing Difficulty in Hiring
Tokyo, Jan. 13 (Jiji Press)--Many companies outside of metropolitan areas in Japan are struggling to hire a sufficient number of university graduates.
Japanese companies secured 80.0 pct of the intended number of college grad hires on average as of Oct. 1, down 4.3 percentage points from a year earlier, according to Recruit Works Institute, a research arm of human resources firm Recruit Holdings Co. <6098>.
In rural areas, the figure was below the national average, at 57.9 pct in Hokkaido, northern Japan, 50.0 pct in the Tohoku northeastern region and 46.8 pct in the Shikoku western region.
On the other hand, metropolitan areas had higher numbers, at 92.0 pct in the western area covering Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe, 89.0 pct in the Tokyo metropolitan area and 85.4 pct in the Chubu and Tokai central region, including Nagoya.
The numbers indicate that companies in urban areas, home to many universities, face less difficulty in hiring than those in rural areas.
- 01/24 02:14 Japan, S. Korea Ministers Trade Barbs over "Threatening Flight"
- 01/23 22:28 Japan FTC Begins Surveys on IT Giants
- 01/23 20:32 (Update) S. Korea Accuses Japan Patrol Plane of Threatening Flight Again
- 01/23 19:58 Abe Calls for Worldwide Data Governance under WTO
- 01/23 16:11 Nissin Apologizes for Skin Color of Naomi Osaka on Anime Ad
- 01/23 15:03 (Update 2) BOJ Keeps Policy Intact, Cuts Inflation Forecasts
- 01/23 13:39 (Update) Abe, Putin Fail to Agree on Early Conclusion of Territorial Talks
- 01/23 10:18 Koreeda's "Shoplifters" Nominated for Academy Award
- 01/23 09:33 Japan Logs Trade Deficit of 55.3 B. Yen in Dec.
- 01/23 02:51 Abe, Putin Vow to Take Leadership in Peace Treaty Talks
- 01/22 23:47 (Update) Panel Unable to Find Cover-Up over Japan Labor Survey
- 01/22 17:57 Japan Preparing to Ensure Medical Services during 10 Holidays
- 01/22 17:41 Japan Group Moving to Commercialize Nasal Spray Drug for ASD
- 01/22 17:35 Firms, Not Govt, Should Decide on Wage Hikes: Keidanren
- 01/22 14:14 Princess Mako's Boyfriend Says His Mother's Money Trouble Solved
- 01/22 10:00 Greater Aid Eyed for Rural Experience Programs for Children
- 01/21 22:27 NGT48 Member Assault Case Highlights Idol Rights Protection
- 01/21 20:30 Upcoming Diet Session May See Fewest Bills under Current Constitution
- 01/21 19:18 Tokyo's Hachijojima May Be Humpback Whale's New Northernmost Breeding Region
- 01/21 18:26 Japan Posts Radar Sounds as Lock-On Evidence, To End Talks
- 01/21 17:05 Mystery Deepening over Human Bones Found at Schools in Japan
- 01/21 15:53 (Update) Emperor, Empress Mourn for WWII Civilian Sailor Victims
- 01/21 14:06 Ghosn Pledges to Stay in Japan for Bail
- 01/21 11:12 86-Year-Old Miura Gives Up on Mount Aconcagua Summit
- 01/21 09:41 Excerpts from Interview with Ski Jumper Kobayashi
- 01/20 22:56 France Proposes Nissan-Renault Business Integration
- 01/20 19:46 113-Year-Old Japanese, World's Oldest Man, Dies
- 01/20 16:18 Abe to Hold Talks with Putin to Promote Island Talks
- 01/19 19:41 Japan Cautiously Hopes for Progress on N. Korea Denuclearization
- 01/19 18:38 Ichiyo Higuchi's "Takekurabe" Manuscript Fetches 21 M. Yen
- 01/19 17:32 TPP Ministers Call for Enhancing Open Trade System
- 01/19 14:10 Japan to Disclose Radio Sounds as Proof of Radar Lock-On
- 01/18 21:39 (Update) Nissan, Mitsubishi Detect Improper Payments to Ghosn
- 01/18 18:09 Abe Cabinet Support Rises to 43 Pct: Jiji Poll
- 01/18 16:57 Mitsubishi Motors Alleges Ex-Boss Ghosn Improperly Paid by Dutch Unit
- 01/18 16:06 (Update) Japan Successfully Launches 4th Epsilon Rocket with 7 Satellites
- 01/18 14:17 Western Japan City Sacks Otter as Tourism Ambassador
- 01/18 13:43 Japan Successfully Launches 4th Epsilon Rocket with 7 Satellites
- 01/18 13:18 Japan to Convene Regular Diet Session on Jan. 28
- 01/18 13:15 10th Antique "Hina" Doll Exhibition Starts in Tokyo
- 01/18 12:30 Number of Suicides in Japan Hits 37-Year Low in 2018
- 01/18 11:54 Japan Govt Revises FY 2019 Budget after Bungled Labor Survey
- 01/18 10:30 Ski Jumping Star Kobayashi Happy with Key Competition Victory
- 01/18 08:43 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Dec.
- 01/18 07:31 Japan Govt Decides to Revise Cybersecurity Guidelines
- 01/18 00:22 (Update) Japan to Punish Labor Bureaucrats over Survey Irregularities
- 01/17 23:21 Japanese Court Backs Demolition of Building Hit by March 2011 Tsunami
- 01/17 17:50 (Update 2) Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Hanshin Quake
- 01/17 15:24 Emperor Akihito's Abdication Ceremony to Start at 5 P.M.
- 01/17 14:46 Pentagon Official Welcomes Japan's New Defense Guidelines
- 01/17 14:27 (Update) Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Great Hanshin Quake
- 01/17 11:24 Memorial Services Held on 24th Anniversary of Great Hanshin Quake