New U.S. Forces Chief in Japan Toutes Alliance
Tokyo, Feb. 5 (Jiji Press)--The new commander of U.S. Forces Japan stressed on Tuesday that the Japan-U.S. alliance "has never been stronger."
The alliance "has also never been more important to this region than right now as we face increasingly difficult security challenges," Air Force Lt. Gen. Kevin Schneider also said in a speech at a ceremony in Yokota Air Base for the handover of the forces' command from Lt. Gen. Jerry Martinez to him.
"We must maintain the highest levels of readiness to respond at a moment's notice to any threat, crisis, or humanitarian disaster," the new chief noted. He doubles as commander of 5th Air Force, which is headquartered at the Yokota base and has units at the western Tokyo base, Misawa Air Base in Aomori Prefecture and Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Prefecture.
Schneider, who was an F-16 fighter pilot, has worked at the Misawa base and at the U.S. forces in South Korea. He has also served as chief of staff at the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command.
Martinez, who became U.S. forces commander in October 2016, will retire.
- 02/22 10:30 Measles Infections Increasing in Japan
- 02/22 10:00 390,000 Votes Seen as Threshold for Antibase Camp in Okinawa Poll
- 02/22 08:39 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.8 Pct in Jan.
- 02/22 03:04 (Update) Strong Earthquake Jolts Hokkaido
- 02/22 00:07 Abe, Trump to Have Golf Diplomacy Again in Japan
- 02/21 21:09 INTERVIEW: Miyagi Aims for Revitalization through Tourism
- 02/21 18:14 FOCUS: Tensions High over Senkakus amid China's "2nd Navy" Buildup
- 02/21 16:34 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Starts Descent toward Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/21 11:48 Special Fraud Damage in Japan Down for 4th Straight Year
- 02/21 10:00 Toyosu Market Struggling to Attract Tuna Auction Viewers
- 02/21 02:32 (Update) Abe, Trump Affirm Cooperation on Abduction Issue
- 02/20 23:53 CAR T-Cell Cancer Therapy to Be Approved in Japan
- 02/20 22:54 INTERVIEW: Iwate to Capitalize on Rugby World Cup for Reconstruction
- 02/20 17:41 Ibaraki to Launch Bid for Panda Loan from China in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:07 33 of 47 Japan Prefectural Governments to Spend More in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:02 2 Crew Members Rescued after Japanese Fighter Jet Crashes
- 02/20 13:18 Unified Opposition Candidates May Take 12 Upper House Districts
- 02/20 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: A-Bomb Dome Foundation Helps Memories to Continue
- 02/20 09:13 Japan Trade Deficit Expands 49.2 Pct in Jan.
- 02/19 23:16 S. Korea to Attend Japan MSDF-Hosted Seminar
- 02/19 22:50 Japan to Consider Ban on Physical Punishments
- 02/19 18:02 2 Ex-Classmates Ordered to Pay Damages over Bullied Boy's Suicide
- 02/19 17:34 Japan to Review Smartphone Ban at School
- 02/19 16:34 New Swine Fever Case Confirmed in Japan
- 02/19 16:09 Japan Govt OKs Bill for Easier Handovers of Divorced Parents' Children
- 02/19 15:51 S. Korean Ship Sails in Japanese Waters near Takeshima
- 02/19 11:00 Tokyo Aims to Ban Physical Punishments by Parents
- 02/18 22:42 Japan to Put Whale Meat on Sale Online for Restaurants
- 02/18 21:25 (Update) Japan OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 20:37 JR East to End On-Board Sales on Yamabiko Shinkansen Trains
- 02/18 17:56 Abe Denies Labor Survey Manipulation for Abenomics
- 02/18 16:53 Japanese Designer Develops "Visually Readable" Braille
- 02/18 16:08 Japan Panel OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 15:48 S. Korean Official Refuses to Apologize for Emperor Remarks
- 02/18 15:34 Trump Likely to Visit Japan on May 26-28
- 02/18 09:13 Japan Dec. Core Machinery Orders Down 0.1 Pct
- 02/17 08:41 Kono, Lavrov Make Little Progress in Territorial Talks
- 02/16 17:24 Chief Cabinet Secretary to Announce Japan's New Era Name
- 02/16 14:11 Trump Claims Abe Nominated Him for Nobel Peace Prize
- 02/16 13:23 Kuroda Vows Patience as Negative Rate Pains Spread after 3 Years
- 02/16 04:30 JR East Eyeing New Access Lines to Haneda Airport
- 02/16 02:27 Japan, S. Korea Remain Apart over Wartime Labor Issues
- 02/16 01:06 S. Korea Labor Suit Plaintiffs to Seek Sale of Nippon Steel Assets
- 02/15 22:27 (Update) Suga Informed in 2015 of Labor Survey Method Change
- 02/15 17:53 (Update) 2020 Tokyo Games' Ceremonies May Cost 13 B. Yen
- 02/15 17:31 Japan Govt OKs Bill to Recognize Ainu People as Indigenous
- 02/15 17:18 Over 70 Pct Suspect Labor Stats Irregularities Cover-up
- 02/15 17:03 70 Pct of Japanese See Russia Leading Isle Talks: Jiji Poll
- 02/15 17:02 Over Half of Japanese Want Govt to Follow Okinawa Vote Result
- 02/15 15:57 LDP Lawmakers Asked to Check Municipal Role on SDF Recruitment
- 02/15 14:11 Japan to Allow Use of My Number Cards as Health Insurance Cards