Sunken Japanese Battleship Hiei Found in South Pacific
Los Angeles, Feb. 6 (Jiji Press)--Researchers have found the wreckage of the Imperial Japanese Navy battleship Hiei, which sank in the South Pacific during World War II.
The discovery on Thursday by a team funded by Microsoft Corp.'s late cofounder Paul Allen is expected to help identify why the battleship sank, experts said.
The 150-meter rear part of the Hiei was found upside down at a depth of 985 meters, at a point northwest of Savo Island in the Solomon Islands chain. The ship's bow section, some 70 meters long, remains missing.
Video footage recorded by the team shows the battleship's propellers, high-angle guns and a crate of shells.
"It is highly likely that an ammunition room on the battleship's bow side exploded for some reason," Kazushige Todaka, director of the Kure Maritime Museum in Hiroshima Prefecture, western Japan, said after viewing the footage.
- 02/23 16:56 Ceremony to Fete 30th Anniversary of Emperor's Enthronement
- 02/23 15:26 Tokyo Metro Puts New Marunouchi Line Trains into Operation
- 02/23 13:49 Moscow Ready to Talk with Tokyo on Imperial Russian Treasure
- 02/23 10:30 Part-Timers Posting Series of Pranks on Social Media
- 02/23 02:25 Abe Becomes Japanese PM with 4th-Longest Total Tenure
- 02/23 00:15 Crown Prince Naruhito Turns 59, Vows to Fulfill Role of Symbol
- 02/22 23:19 Test to "See through" Clothing to Take Place at Tokyo Station
- 02/22 20:37 (Update) Abe Briefs Crown Prince on Internal, External Affairs
- 02/22 20:23 (Update) Japan Official Raps S. Korean Activities near Takeshima
- 02/22 19:12 Human Bones from 500 Bodies Found at House in Tokyo
- 02/22 18:54 Amount of Gold Smuggling Drops over 60 Pct in Japan in 2018
- 02/22 16:02 Wild Boars to Be Fed Swine Fever Vaccines in Japan
- 02/22 14:01 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Successfully Touches Down on Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/22 10:30 Measles Infections Increasing in Japan
- 02/22 10:00 390,000 Votes Seen as Threshold for Antibase Camp in Okinawa Poll
- 02/22 08:39 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.8 Pct in Jan.
- 02/22 03:04 (Update) Strong Earthquake Jolts Hokkaido
- 02/22 00:07 Abe, Trump to Have Golf Diplomacy Again in Japan
- 02/21 21:09 INTERVIEW: Miyagi Aims for Revitalization through Tourism
- 02/21 18:14 FOCUS: Tensions High over Senkakus amid China's "2nd Navy" Buildup
- 02/21 16:34 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Starts Descent toward Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/21 11:48 Special Fraud Damage in Japan Down for 4th Straight Year
- 02/21 10:00 Toyosu Market Struggling to Attract Tuna Auction Viewers
- 02/21 02:32 (Update) Abe, Trump Affirm Cooperation on Abduction Issue
- 02/20 23:53 CAR T-Cell Cancer Therapy to Be Approved in Japan
- 02/20 22:54 INTERVIEW: Iwate to Capitalize on Rugby World Cup for Reconstruction
- 02/20 17:41 Ibaraki to Launch Bid for Panda Loan from China in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:07 33 of 47 Japan Prefectural Governments to Spend More in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:02 2 Crew Members Rescued after Japanese Fighter Jet Crashes
- 02/20 13:18 Unified Opposition Candidates May Take 12 Upper House Districts
- 02/20 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: A-Bomb Dome Foundation Helps Memories to Continue
- 02/20 09:13 Japan Trade Deficit Expands 49.2 Pct in Jan.
- 02/19 23:16 S. Korea to Attend Japan MSDF-Hosted Seminar
- 02/19 22:50 Japan to Consider Ban on Physical Punishments
- 02/19 18:02 2 Ex-Classmates Ordered to Pay Damages over Bullied Boy's Suicide
- 02/19 17:34 Japan to Review Smartphone Ban at School
- 02/19 16:34 New Swine Fever Case Confirmed in Japan
- 02/19 16:09 Japan Govt OKs Bill for Easier Handovers of Divorced Parents' Children
- 02/19 15:51 S. Korean Ship Sails in Japanese Waters near Takeshima
- 02/19 11:00 Tokyo Aims to Ban Physical Punishments by Parents
- 02/18 22:42 Japan to Put Whale Meat on Sale Online for Restaurants
- 02/18 21:25 (Update) Japan OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 20:37 JR East to End On-Board Sales on Yamabiko Shinkansen Trains
- 02/18 17:56 Abe Denies Labor Survey Manipulation for Abenomics
- 02/18 16:53 Japanese Designer Develops "Visually Readable" Braille
- 02/18 16:08 Japan Panel OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 15:48 S. Korean Official Refuses to Apologize for Emperor Remarks
- 02/18 15:34 Trump Likely to Visit Japan on May 26-28
- 02/18 09:13 Japan Dec. Core Machinery Orders Down 0.1 Pct
- 02/17 08:41 Kono, Lavrov Make Little Progress in Territorial Talks