Japan Govt Draws Up New Measures against Child Abuse
Tokyo, Feb. 8 (Jiji Press)--Japan's government drew up on Friday a new set of measures to tackle child abuse, including for the strict management of related information, in the wake of the death of a possibly abused 10-year-old girl last month.
The package, adopted at a meeting of relevant cabinet ministers, includes rules for never unveiling the sources of reports on child abuse, such as the victims themselves, and for strictly keeping related documents and materials undisclosed.
The government also urged child consultation centers nationwide and other institutions to ensure that the safety of all suspected victims is checked within a month.
"We'll take every possible step, putting top priority on protecting the lives of children," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told the meeting, instructing ministries and agencies to make full-fledged efforts. "We'll do all we can."
In the case of the deceased girl, Mia Kurihara, a fourth-grader at an elementary school in the city of Noda, Chiba Prefecture, eastern Japan, it has come to light that the city's board of education handed to her father a copy of a November 2017 questionnaire in which the girl reported that she suffered violence from the father.
- 02/23 20:04 Robotic Kannon Unveiled in Kyoto
- 02/23 16:56 Ceremony to Fete 30th Anniversary of Emperor's Enthronement
- 02/23 15:26 Tokyo Metro Puts New Marunouchi Line Trains into Operation
- 02/23 13:49 Moscow Ready to Talk with Tokyo on Imperial Russian Treasure
- 02/23 10:30 Part-Timers Posting Series of Pranks on Social Media
- 02/23 02:25 Abe Becomes Japanese PM with 4th-Longest Total Tenure
- 02/23 00:15 Crown Prince Naruhito Turns 59, Vows to Fulfill Role of Symbol
- 02/22 23:19 Test to "See through" Clothing to Take Place at Tokyo Station
- 02/22 20:37 (Update) Abe Briefs Crown Prince on Internal, External Affairs
- 02/22 20:23 (Update) Japan Official Raps S. Korean Activities near Takeshima
- 02/22 19:12 Human Bones from 500 Bodies Found at House in Tokyo
- 02/22 18:54 Amount of Gold Smuggling Drops over 60 Pct in Japan in 2018
- 02/22 16:02 Wild Boars to Be Fed Swine Fever Vaccines in Japan
- 02/22 14:01 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Successfully Touches Down on Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/22 10:30 Measles Infections Increasing in Japan
- 02/22 10:00 390,000 Votes Seen as Threshold for Antibase Camp in Okinawa Poll
- 02/22 08:39 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.8 Pct in Jan.
- 02/22 03:04 (Update) Strong Earthquake Jolts Hokkaido
- 02/22 00:07 Abe, Trump to Have Golf Diplomacy Again in Japan
- 02/21 21:09 INTERVIEW: Miyagi Aims for Revitalization through Tourism
- 02/21 18:14 FOCUS: Tensions High over Senkakus amid China's "2nd Navy" Buildup
- 02/21 16:34 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Starts Descent toward Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/21 11:48 Special Fraud Damage in Japan Down for 4th Straight Year
- 02/21 10:00 Toyosu Market Struggling to Attract Tuna Auction Viewers
- 02/21 02:32 (Update) Abe, Trump Affirm Cooperation on Abduction Issue
- 02/20 23:53 CAR T-Cell Cancer Therapy to Be Approved in Japan
- 02/20 22:54 INTERVIEW: Iwate to Capitalize on Rugby World Cup for Reconstruction
- 02/20 17:41 Ibaraki to Launch Bid for Panda Loan from China in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:07 33 of 47 Japan Prefectural Governments to Spend More in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:02 2 Crew Members Rescued after Japanese Fighter Jet Crashes
- 02/20 13:18 Unified Opposition Candidates May Take 12 Upper House Districts
- 02/20 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: A-Bomb Dome Foundation Helps Memories to Continue
- 02/20 09:13 Japan Trade Deficit Expands 49.2 Pct in Jan.
- 02/19 23:16 S. Korea to Attend Japan MSDF-Hosted Seminar
- 02/19 22:50 Japan to Consider Ban on Physical Punishments
- 02/19 18:02 2 Ex-Classmates Ordered to Pay Damages over Bullied Boy's Suicide
- 02/19 17:34 Japan to Review Smartphone Ban at School
- 02/19 16:34 New Swine Fever Case Confirmed in Japan
- 02/19 16:09 Japan Govt OKs Bill for Easier Handovers of Divorced Parents' Children
- 02/19 15:51 S. Korean Ship Sails in Japanese Waters near Takeshima
- 02/19 11:00 Tokyo Aims to Ban Physical Punishments by Parents
- 02/18 22:42 Japan to Put Whale Meat on Sale Online for Restaurants
- 02/18 21:25 (Update) Japan OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 20:37 JR East to End On-Board Sales on Yamabiko Shinkansen Trains
- 02/18 17:56 Abe Denies Labor Survey Manipulation for Abenomics
- 02/18 16:53 Japanese Designer Develops "Visually Readable" Braille
- 02/18 16:08 Japan Panel OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 15:48 S. Korean Official Refuses to Apologize for Emperor Remarks
- 02/18 15:34 Trump Likely to Visit Japan on May 26-28
- 02/18 09:13 Japan Dec. Core Machinery Orders Down 0.1 Pct
- 02/17 08:41 Kono, Lavrov Make Little Progress in Territorial Talks