Rare Deep-Sea Fish Found around Japan; Quake Concerns Denied
Tokyo, Feb. 9 (Jiji Press)--Oarfish, a rarely seen deep-sea species, has been detected one after another in waters around Japan this year, making some fearful of an earthquake striking the country in the near future.
A total of more than 10 oarfish have been found in Sea of Japan waters. U.S. news television network CNN has covered the news, citing a myth in Japan that the sighting of the fish is an earthquake precursor.
Still, experts called on people to keep calm, assuring that there is no direct correlation between the fish and earthquake.
Oarfish, which has a long and thin silvery body, is believed to live in waters some 200 meters under the sea in the northern Pacific and the Indian Ocean. The fish migrates to Sea of Japan waters on the Tsushima Current. Some oarfish could grow as long as 5.5 meters.
Details of oarfish are unknown as the fish, called "ryugu no tsukai" in Japan, or the messenger from the palace of sea god, is seldom caught in fishing nets.
- 02/22 10:30 Measles Infections Increasing in Japan
- 02/22 10:00 390,000 Votes Seen as Threshold for Antibase Camp in Okinawa Poll
- 02/22 08:39 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.8 Pct in Jan.
- 02/22 03:04 (Update) Strong Earthquake Jolts Hokkaido
- 02/22 00:07 Abe, Trump to Have Golf Diplomacy Again in Japan
- 02/21 21:09 INTERVIEW: Miyagi Aims for Revitalization through Tourism
- 02/21 18:14 FOCUS: Tensions High over Senkakus amid China's "2nd Navy" Buildup
- 02/21 16:34 (Update 2) Hayabusa2 Starts Descent toward Asteroid Ryugu
- 02/21 11:48 Special Fraud Damage in Japan Down for 4th Straight Year
- 02/21 10:00 Toyosu Market Struggling to Attract Tuna Auction Viewers
- 02/21 02:32 (Update) Abe, Trump Affirm Cooperation on Abduction Issue
- 02/20 23:53 CAR T-Cell Cancer Therapy to Be Approved in Japan
- 02/20 22:54 INTERVIEW: Iwate to Capitalize on Rugby World Cup for Reconstruction
- 02/20 17:41 Ibaraki to Launch Bid for Panda Loan from China in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:07 33 of 47 Japan Prefectural Governments to Spend More in FY 2019
- 02/20 14:02 2 Crew Members Rescued after Japanese Fighter Jet Crashes
- 02/20 13:18 Unified Opposition Candidates May Take 12 Upper House Districts
- 02/20 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: A-Bomb Dome Foundation Helps Memories to Continue
- 02/20 09:13 Japan Trade Deficit Expands 49.2 Pct in Jan.
- 02/19 23:16 S. Korea to Attend Japan MSDF-Hosted Seminar
- 02/19 22:50 Japan to Consider Ban on Physical Punishments
- 02/19 18:02 2 Ex-Classmates Ordered to Pay Damages over Bullied Boy's Suicide
- 02/19 17:34 Japan to Review Smartphone Ban at School
- 02/19 16:34 New Swine Fever Case Confirmed in Japan
- 02/19 16:09 Japan Govt OKs Bill for Easier Handovers of Divorced Parents' Children
- 02/19 15:51 S. Korean Ship Sails in Japanese Waters near Takeshima
- 02/19 11:00 Tokyo Aims to Ban Physical Punishments by Parents
- 02/18 22:42 Japan to Put Whale Meat on Sale Online for Restaurants
- 02/18 21:25 (Update) Japan OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 20:37 JR East to End On-Board Sales on Yamabiko Shinkansen Trains
- 02/18 17:56 Abe Denies Labor Survey Manipulation for Abenomics
- 02/18 16:53 Japanese Designer Develops "Visually Readable" Braille
- 02/18 16:08 Japan Panel OKs iPS Clinical Study for Spinal Cord Treatment
- 02/18 15:48 S. Korean Official Refuses to Apologize for Emperor Remarks
- 02/18 15:34 Trump Likely to Visit Japan on May 26-28
- 02/18 09:13 Japan Dec. Core Machinery Orders Down 0.1 Pct
- 02/17 08:41 Kono, Lavrov Make Little Progress in Territorial Talks
- 02/16 17:24 Chief Cabinet Secretary to Announce Japan's New Era Name
- 02/16 14:11 Trump Claims Abe Nominated Him for Nobel Peace Prize
- 02/16 13:23 Kuroda Vows Patience as Negative Rate Pains Spread after 3 Years
- 02/16 04:30 JR East Eyeing New Access Lines to Haneda Airport
- 02/16 02:27 Japan, S. Korea Remain Apart over Wartime Labor Issues
- 02/16 01:06 S. Korea Labor Suit Plaintiffs to Seek Sale of Nippon Steel Assets
- 02/15 22:27 (Update) Suga Informed in 2015 of Labor Survey Method Change
- 02/15 17:53 (Update) 2020 Tokyo Games' Ceremonies May Cost 13 B. Yen
- 02/15 17:31 Japan Govt OKs Bill to Recognize Ainu People as Indigenous
- 02/15 17:18 Over 70 Pct Suspect Labor Stats Irregularities Cover-up
- 02/15 17:03 70 Pct of Japanese See Russia Leading Isle Talks: Jiji Poll
- 02/15 17:02 Over Half of Japanese Want Govt to Follow Okinawa Vote Result
- 02/15 15:57 LDP Lawmakers Asked to Check Municipal Role on SDF Recruitment
- 02/15 14:11 Japan to Allow Use of My Number Cards as Health Insurance Cards