Disaster-Hit Coastal Areas Remember Victims in Pouring Rain
Sendai, Miyagi Pref., March 11 (Jiji Press)--People in coastal areas in northeastern Japan hit hard by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami mourned the loss of victims and prayed for the repose of their souls, in pouring rain on the disaster's eighth anniversary on Monday.
On a hill overlooking the coast in the Oya district in Kesennuma, Miyagi Prefecture, which was engulfed in tsunami measuring over 20 meters, Masaru Ishida, 49, remembered his father and uncle, who passed away in the disaster.
Ishida will open up his own vehicle bodywork and paint factory on the hill in April, a successor to a similar plant that was washed away with his uncle by the tsunami.
"While I'm filled with worries as I've just built my house and the factory, I'd like to tell my father and uncle that I will try my best," he said.
At a site that once housed Okawa Elementary School in the city of Ishinomaki, also in Miyagi, a 64-year-old woman, who lost her nephew in third grade at the school, and her 68-year-old husband offered their prayers. The school lost 74 students and 10 teachers in the tsunami.
- 03/24 19:49 Indonesia Opens Its 1st Subway, Built under Japan-Led Project
- 03/24 13:07 57 Pct to Review Spending Due to Tax Hike: Jiji Poll
- 03/23 21:47 Japanese Power Firms Trying to Tap Transmission Networks
- 03/23 18:47 Japan to Draw Foreigners to Regional Revitalization Programs
- 03/23 16:25 Tsunami-Damaged Train Line Reopens after 8 Years
- 03/23 14:15 Japan to Propose Talks on Women's Education at G-20
- 03/22 22:43 Mt. Fuji Eruption to Leave Ash in Central Tokyo
- 03/22 21:38 Japan Unlikely to End Preparations before New Work Visa Launch
- 03/22 19:53 Many Companies Keen to Hire New Grads in 2020: Jiji Poll
- 03/22 19:12 Okinawa Again Sues State to Block Henoko Landfill for U.S. Base
- 03/22 17:25 Japanese People Voice Pride in Ichiro's Accomplishments
- 03/22 17:09 Foreign Residents in Japan Hit Record 2.73 Million
- 03/22 15:56 Fukushima School Holds 1st Graduation Ceremony in 8 Years
- 03/22 15:35 754 People Pass Govt's 1st Unified Hiring Exam for Disabled
- 03/22 12:55 Japan's Princess Kako Graduates from University
- 03/22 08:34 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Feb.
- 03/22 07:09 Baseball Icon Ichiro Retires after Game in Tokyo
- 03/21 22:19 Skill Tests for New Working Visa to Be Held in Philippines, Japan
- 03/21 18:15 (Update) Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 17:56 S. Korean Foreign Min. Calls for Careful "War Crime Sticker" Discussions
- 03/21 17:09 Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 14:18 Japan Sinks to 58th in U.N. Happiness Rankings
- 03/21 13:50 Cherry Blossoms Start Blooming in Tokyo, Fukuoka
- 03/21 11:00 Sake Study Group Formed in Niigata
- 03/21 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: Japanese Return to N.Y. Real Estate Market
- 03/20 23:18 Woman Stabbed to Death at Tokyo Court; American Husband Arrested
- 03/20 20:24 2020 Tokyo Olympic Torch Unveiled
- 03/20 17:38 Okinawa Base Construction's Link with Dugong's Death Under Probe: Suga
- 03/20 16:18 Over 40 Pct of Firms Expecting to Be Affected by Era Change
- 03/20 15:58 Nagasaki Kicks Off Cherry Blossom Season
- 03/20 13:46 Trump Clarifies Aim for Comprehensive FTA with Japan
- 03/20 12:59 Japan Marks 24th Anniversary of Deadly Sarin Attack
- 03/20 10:00 Smiling May Help Election Candidates Win More Votes: Study
- 03/20 02:00 Hayabusa2 Detects Water-Containing Minerals on Asteroid Ryugu
- 03/19 21:28 JOC Chief Takeda Offers to Step Down amid Bribery Allegations
- 03/19 19:43 Japan's Local Residential Land Prices Post 1st Rise in 27 Years
- 03/19 17:35 Japan Top Court OKs Retrial for Ex-Aide Nurse over 2003 Murder
- 03/19 15:49 Abe to Give Address at Imperial Succession Ceremonies
- 03/19 13:54 Japan Govt Adopts Bills to Ban Parental Physical Punishments
- 03/19 12:40 Japan Adopts Bill to Prevent Padding of Disabled Employment
- 03/18 23:31 (Update) Leopalace21 Founder Wanted Use of Irregular Building Material: Panel
- 03/18 21:44 Proposer of New Era's Name to Be Kept Secret for Time Being
- 03/18 21:08 Kitora Tomb Mural Paintings Recommended as National Treasure
- 03/18 19:23 Museum of "Visas for Life" Diplomat to Open in Tokyo
- 03/18 09:05 Japan Logs Trade Surplus of 339 B. Yen in Feb.