Many Major Japan Firms Offer Smaller Pay Hikes
Tokyo, March 13 (Jiji Press)--Many major Japanese firms proposed raising their monthly wages on Wednesday, at the climax of this year's "shunto" labor-management talks, but the size of the proposed hike shrank from the previous year at many of them apparently reflecting economic uncertainties.
Toyota Motor Corp. <7203> offered to increase monthly wages by 10,700 yen per employee, including pay scale and regular wage increases, smaller than the 12,000 yen demanded by labor and than the 11,700 yen agreed on in the 2018 shunto negotiations. The labor side is likely to accept the proposal, informed sources said.
The leading Japanese automaker, which serves as a pacesetter in shunto talks, did not disclose the breakdown of the hike.
Many companies will raise their pay scales for the sixth straight year.
Among automakers other than Toyota, Honda Motor Co. <7267> offered a pay scale increase of 1,400 yen although the figure is down by 300 yen from the previous year. Nissan Motor Co. <7201> proposed a hike of 3,000 yen in base wages, fully meeting the labor side's request.
- 03/24 19:49 Indonesia Opens Its 1st Subway, Built under Japan-Led Project
- 03/24 13:07 57 Pct to Review Spending Due to Tax Hike: Jiji Poll
- 03/23 21:47 Japanese Power Firms Trying to Tap Transmission Networks
- 03/23 18:47 Japan to Draw Foreigners to Regional Revitalization Programs
- 03/23 16:25 Tsunami-Damaged Train Line Reopens after 8 Years
- 03/23 14:15 Japan to Propose Talks on Women's Education at G-20
- 03/22 22:43 Mt. Fuji Eruption to Leave Ash in Central Tokyo
- 03/22 21:38 Japan Unlikely to End Preparations before New Work Visa Launch
- 03/22 19:53 Many Companies Keen to Hire New Grads in 2020: Jiji Poll
- 03/22 19:12 Okinawa Again Sues State to Block Henoko Landfill for U.S. Base
- 03/22 17:25 Japanese People Voice Pride in Ichiro's Accomplishments
- 03/22 17:09 Foreign Residents in Japan Hit Record 2.73 Million
- 03/22 15:56 Fukushima School Holds 1st Graduation Ceremony in 8 Years
- 03/22 15:35 754 People Pass Govt's 1st Unified Hiring Exam for Disabled
- 03/22 12:55 Japan's Princess Kako Graduates from University
- 03/22 08:34 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Feb.
- 03/22 07:09 Baseball Icon Ichiro Retires after Game in Tokyo
- 03/21 22:19 Skill Tests for New Working Visa to Be Held in Philippines, Japan
- 03/21 18:15 (Update) Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 17:56 S. Korean Foreign Min. Calls for Careful "War Crime Sticker" Discussions
- 03/21 17:09 Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 14:18 Japan Sinks to 58th in U.N. Happiness Rankings
- 03/21 13:50 Cherry Blossoms Start Blooming in Tokyo, Fukuoka
- 03/21 11:00 Sake Study Group Formed in Niigata
- 03/21 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: Japanese Return to N.Y. Real Estate Market
- 03/20 23:18 Woman Stabbed to Death at Tokyo Court; American Husband Arrested
- 03/20 20:24 2020 Tokyo Olympic Torch Unveiled
- 03/20 17:38 Okinawa Base Construction's Link with Dugong's Death Under Probe: Suga
- 03/20 16:18 Over 40 Pct of Firms Expecting to Be Affected by Era Change
- 03/20 15:58 Nagasaki Kicks Off Cherry Blossom Season
- 03/20 13:46 Trump Clarifies Aim for Comprehensive FTA with Japan
- 03/20 12:59 Japan Marks 24th Anniversary of Deadly Sarin Attack
- 03/20 10:00 Smiling May Help Election Candidates Win More Votes: Study
- 03/20 02:00 Hayabusa2 Detects Water-Containing Minerals on Asteroid Ryugu
- 03/19 21:28 JOC Chief Takeda Offers to Step Down amid Bribery Allegations
- 03/19 19:43 Japan's Local Residential Land Prices Post 1st Rise in 27 Years
- 03/19 17:35 Japan Top Court OKs Retrial for Ex-Aide Nurse over 2003 Murder
- 03/19 15:49 Abe to Give Address at Imperial Succession Ceremonies
- 03/19 13:54 Japan Govt Adopts Bills to Ban Parental Physical Punishments
- 03/19 12:40 Japan Adopts Bill to Prevent Padding of Disabled Employment
- 03/18 23:31 (Update) Leopalace21 Founder Wanted Use of Irregular Building Material: Panel
- 03/18 21:44 Proposer of New Era's Name to Be Kept Secret for Time Being
- 03/18 21:08 Kitora Tomb Mural Paintings Recommended as National Treasure
- 03/18 19:23 Museum of "Visas for Life" Diplomat to Open in Tokyo
- 03/18 09:05 Japan Logs Trade Surplus of 339 B. Yen in Feb.