Former Mt. Gox Head Cleared of Embezzlement Charges
Tokyo, March 15 (Jiji Press)--Tokyo District Court ruled on Friday that Mark Karpeles, former head of Japanese bitcoin exchange operator Mt. Gox, which failed in 2014 following an alleged cyberattack, is not guilty of embezzlement.
The court rejected public prosecutors' allegations that Karpeles committed embezzlement by transferring about 341 million yen of funds including cash deposited by Mt. Gox customers to his bank account and using the money for personal purposes such as the purchase of a luxury bed.
Handing down the ruling, presiding Judge Tomoyuki Nakayama recognized the transferred funds as lending from the company to Karpeles, citing his use of his credit card to pay company bills as one of the reasons for the decision.
The court, meanwhile, gave him a jail term of two years and six months, suspended for four years, for manipulating cash data in Mt. Gox's transaction system in February-September 2013, in order to pretend that the company had plenty of cash.
Karpeles faced embezzlement charges after Mt. Gox announced in February 2014 the disappearance of bitcoin valued at 47 billion yen at the exchange rate of the time, as well as 2.8 billion yen of customer deposits.
- 03/24 19:49 Indonesia Opens Its 1st Subway, Built under Japan-Led Project
- 03/24 13:07 57 Pct to Review Spending Due to Tax Hike: Jiji Poll
- 03/23 21:47 Japanese Power Firms Trying to Tap Transmission Networks
- 03/23 18:47 Japan to Draw Foreigners to Regional Revitalization Programs
- 03/23 16:25 Tsunami-Damaged Train Line Reopens after 8 Years
- 03/23 14:15 Japan to Propose Talks on Women's Education at G-20
- 03/22 22:43 Mt. Fuji Eruption to Leave Ash in Central Tokyo
- 03/22 21:38 Japan Unlikely to End Preparations before New Work Visa Launch
- 03/22 19:53 Many Companies Keen to Hire New Grads in 2020: Jiji Poll
- 03/22 19:12 Okinawa Again Sues State to Block Henoko Landfill for U.S. Base
- 03/22 17:25 Japanese People Voice Pride in Ichiro's Accomplishments
- 03/22 17:09 Foreign Residents in Japan Hit Record 2.73 Million
- 03/22 15:56 Fukushima School Holds 1st Graduation Ceremony in 8 Years
- 03/22 15:35 754 People Pass Govt's 1st Unified Hiring Exam for Disabled
- 03/22 12:55 Japan's Princess Kako Graduates from University
- 03/22 08:34 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Feb.
- 03/22 07:09 Baseball Icon Ichiro Retires after Game in Tokyo
- 03/21 22:19 Skill Tests for New Working Visa to Be Held in Philippines, Japan
- 03/21 18:15 (Update) Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 17:56 S. Korean Foreign Min. Calls for Careful "War Crime Sticker" Discussions
- 03/21 17:09 Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 14:18 Japan Sinks to 58th in U.N. Happiness Rankings
- 03/21 13:50 Cherry Blossoms Start Blooming in Tokyo, Fukuoka
- 03/21 11:00 Sake Study Group Formed in Niigata
- 03/21 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: Japanese Return to N.Y. Real Estate Market
- 03/20 23:18 Woman Stabbed to Death at Tokyo Court; American Husband Arrested
- 03/20 20:24 2020 Tokyo Olympic Torch Unveiled
- 03/20 17:38 Okinawa Base Construction's Link with Dugong's Death Under Probe: Suga
- 03/20 16:18 Over 40 Pct of Firms Expecting to Be Affected by Era Change
- 03/20 15:58 Nagasaki Kicks Off Cherry Blossom Season
- 03/20 13:46 Trump Clarifies Aim for Comprehensive FTA with Japan
- 03/20 12:59 Japan Marks 24th Anniversary of Deadly Sarin Attack
- 03/20 10:00 Smiling May Help Election Candidates Win More Votes: Study
- 03/20 02:00 Hayabusa2 Detects Water-Containing Minerals on Asteroid Ryugu
- 03/19 21:28 JOC Chief Takeda Offers to Step Down amid Bribery Allegations
- 03/19 19:43 Japan's Local Residential Land Prices Post 1st Rise in 27 Years
- 03/19 17:35 Japan Top Court OKs Retrial for Ex-Aide Nurse over 2003 Murder
- 03/19 15:49 Abe to Give Address at Imperial Succession Ceremonies
- 03/19 13:54 Japan Govt Adopts Bills to Ban Parental Physical Punishments
- 03/19 12:40 Japan Adopts Bill to Prevent Padding of Disabled Employment
- 03/18 23:31 (Update) Leopalace21 Founder Wanted Use of Irregular Building Material: Panel
- 03/18 21:44 Proposer of New Era's Name to Be Kept Secret for Time Being
- 03/18 21:08 Kitora Tomb Mural Paintings Recommended as National Treasure
- 03/18 19:23 Museum of "Visas for Life" Diplomat to Open in Tokyo
- 03/18 09:05 Japan Logs Trade Surplus of 339 B. Yen in Feb.