Abe Cabinet's Approval Rate Drops to 39 Pct: Jiji Poll
Tokyo, March 15 (Jiji Press)--The approval rate of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's cabinet dropped 3.4 percentage points from last month to 39.0 pct this month, while the disapproval rate rose 1.9 points to 36.4 pct, a Jiji Press public opinion poll showed.
The results seem to reflect public criticism of a statistics scandal involving the labor ministry and the Abe administration's cool response to a vote by people in Okinawa Prefecture in late February against a planned U.S. military base relocation within the prefecture.
In the latest poll, a total of 2,000 people aged 18 or over were interviewed across Japan. Of them, 61.2 pct gave valid responses.
Of the respondents, 39.5 pct said they expected the Abe administration to make progress on the issue of bringing back Japanese abductees from North Korea, but 48.0 pct said they did not.
Abe has repeatedly expressed his eagerness to have a face-to-face meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, with the aim of settling the abduction issue.
- 03/24 19:49 Indonesia Opens Its 1st Subway, Built under Japan-Led Project
- 03/24 13:07 57 Pct to Review Spending Due to Tax Hike: Jiji Poll
- 03/23 21:47 Japanese Power Firms Trying to Tap Transmission Networks
- 03/23 18:47 Japan to Draw Foreigners to Regional Revitalization Programs
- 03/23 16:25 Tsunami-Damaged Train Line Reopens after 8 Years
- 03/23 14:15 Japan to Propose Talks on Women's Education at G-20
- 03/22 22:43 Mt. Fuji Eruption to Leave Ash in Central Tokyo
- 03/22 21:38 Japan Unlikely to End Preparations before New Work Visa Launch
- 03/22 19:53 Many Companies Keen to Hire New Grads in 2020: Jiji Poll
- 03/22 19:12 Okinawa Again Sues State to Block Henoko Landfill for U.S. Base
- 03/22 17:25 Japanese People Voice Pride in Ichiro's Accomplishments
- 03/22 17:09 Foreign Residents in Japan Hit Record 2.73 Million
- 03/22 15:56 Fukushima School Holds 1st Graduation Ceremony in 8 Years
- 03/22 15:35 754 People Pass Govt's 1st Unified Hiring Exam for Disabled
- 03/22 12:55 Japan's Princess Kako Graduates from University
- 03/22 08:34 Japan Core Consumer Prices Up 0.7 Pct in Feb.
- 03/22 07:09 Baseball Icon Ichiro Retires after Game in Tokyo
- 03/21 22:19 Skill Tests for New Working Visa to Be Held in Philippines, Japan
- 03/21 18:15 (Update) Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 17:56 S. Korean Foreign Min. Calls for Careful "War Crime Sticker" Discussions
- 03/21 17:09 Local Election Battles Start with Governors Races in Japan
- 03/21 14:18 Japan Sinks to 58th in U.N. Happiness Rankings
- 03/21 13:50 Cherry Blossoms Start Blooming in Tokyo, Fukuoka
- 03/21 11:00 Sake Study Group Formed in Niigata
- 03/21 10:15 Heisei in Perspective: Japanese Return to N.Y. Real Estate Market
- 03/20 23:18 Woman Stabbed to Death at Tokyo Court; American Husband Arrested
- 03/20 20:24 2020 Tokyo Olympic Torch Unveiled
- 03/20 17:38 Okinawa Base Construction's Link with Dugong's Death Under Probe: Suga
- 03/20 16:18 Over 40 Pct of Firms Expecting to Be Affected by Era Change
- 03/20 15:58 Nagasaki Kicks Off Cherry Blossom Season
- 03/20 13:46 Trump Clarifies Aim for Comprehensive FTA with Japan
- 03/20 12:59 Japan Marks 24th Anniversary of Deadly Sarin Attack
- 03/20 10:00 Smiling May Help Election Candidates Win More Votes: Study
- 03/20 02:00 Hayabusa2 Detects Water-Containing Minerals on Asteroid Ryugu
- 03/19 21:28 JOC Chief Takeda Offers to Step Down amid Bribery Allegations
- 03/19 19:43 Japan's Local Residential Land Prices Post 1st Rise in 27 Years
- 03/19 17:35 Japan Top Court OKs Retrial for Ex-Aide Nurse over 2003 Murder
- 03/19 15:49 Abe to Give Address at Imperial Succession Ceremonies
- 03/19 13:54 Japan Govt Adopts Bills to Ban Parental Physical Punishments
- 03/19 12:40 Japan Adopts Bill to Prevent Padding of Disabled Employment
- 03/18 23:31 (Update) Leopalace21 Founder Wanted Use of Irregular Building Material: Panel
- 03/18 21:44 Proposer of New Era's Name to Be Kept Secret for Time Being
- 03/18 21:08 Kitora Tomb Mural Paintings Recommended as National Treasure
- 03/18 19:23 Museum of "Visas for Life" Diplomat to Open in Tokyo
- 03/18 09:05 Japan Logs Trade Surplus of 339 B. Yen in Feb.