HOME > NATION > Article

Text Size

small

medium

large


Japan Calm on S. Korea's Claim over World Heritage Sites

Japan Calm on S. Korea's Claim over World Heritage Sites

   Tokyo, June 24 (Jiji Press)--Japan is set to respond calmly to South Korea's call for Meiji-era industrial revolution sites in Japan to be removed from UNESCO's World Heritage list.
   The chance of the sites' World Heritage registration being revoked is almost zero, a senior official of the Japanese Foreign Ministry said.
   The Japanese government plans to counter the South Korean claim by fully explaining its position to and seeking support from other countries, sources familiar with the situation said.
   Earlier this week, South Korea said that it has sent a letter to UNESCO asking the U.N. organization to consider withdrawing the World Heritage status for the Japanese sites. Seoul made the request due to its frustration at related exhibits about Korean laborers.
   The sites, which were added to the UNESCO list in 2015, include now-defunct coal-mining facilities on the island of Hashima, commonly known as "Gunkanjima" (battleship island), in Nagasaki Prefecture, southwestern Japan and the former state-run Yahata steelworks in Fukuoka Prefecture, near Nagasaki.

To read a full story, please click here to find out how to subscribe.

NATION

Aomori Tourism Information

HEADLINES

POLITICS
Toyama Governor Race to Kick Off on Oct. 8 for Voting on Oct. 25
ECONOMY
Tokyo Area Condo Supply in 2020 1st Half Drops 44% to Record Low of 7,497 Units
SPORTS
Gymnastics Women: Teramoto Steadily Recovering from Achilles Tendon Rupture
OTHER
Haneko Takayama, Haruka Tono Each Win Akutagawa Prize, Seishu Hase Naoki Prize

AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL


Photos