Japanese Professor Developing Remedy for Renal Disease in Cats
Tokyo, July 14 (Jiji Press)--Domestic cats are highly susceptible to irreversible chronic kidney disease and often die from the illness after suffering for a long time.
Toru Miyazaki, 59, professor at the Graduate School of Medicine of the University of Tokyo, has got to the bottom of a health issue that torments cat owners and lovers, and cats themselves of course, and is now working on the development of a remedy.
He is a medical doctor for humans, not a veterinarian. After graduating from the university's Faculty of Medicine in 1986, Miyazaki started as a hospital doctor but later chose to devote himself to basic research to clarify the causes of and seek therapies for many incurable diseases in humans.
Miyazaki is the author of a book, "Neko ga 30-sai made Ikiru Hi" (The Day When Cats Can Live to 30), that is set to be released in August by major Japanese news agency Jiji Press.
As a principal investigator at the Basel Institute for Immunology in Switzerland since 1995, Miyazaki discovered a unique protein that exists in human blood at a high level, but had not been known, and named it Apoptosis Inhibitor of Macrophage (AIM). AIM supports the survival of macrophage, an immune cell type that protects the human body at the first defense from pathogens such as germs by engulfing them.
After devoting himself to intensive research for nearly 10 years, Miyazaki clarified that AIM facilitates the repair of various diseases, including obesity, fatty liver, liver cancer and kidney ailments, by promoting the phagocytic removal of multiple inner or self-derived biological wastes by macrophages. Miyazaki occasionally investigated the blood of several animal species for AIM and discovered to his surprise that cat AIM does not function specifically, unlike in other species.
After Miyazaki learned that most aged cats suffer severe renal disease, the idea suddenly hit him that this was probably due to the dysfunction of cat AIM.
The pathology of kidney disease in cats is characterized by the obstruction of renal tubules by debris from dead cells and other wastes from the body, and thereby reduces glomerular filtration and induces chronic inflammation, resulting in gradual destruction of the organ.
Further research by Miyazaki found that AIM induces the removal of such tubular obstructing wastes and facilitates the kidney repair, but cat AIM is not capable of this action.
He injected recombinant AIM protein intravenously to a 15-year-old cat with end-stage renal disease that had been given only a week to live. The cat became able to get up after the treatment and then lived more than a year after being given AIM on a regular basis.
According to veterinarians, cats may be able to live up to about 30 years if they start to be treated with functional AIM, such as mouse or human AIM, from an early age.
In the belief that eliminating the suffering of patients is the sole doctor's mission, regardless of whether they are humans or cats, Miyazaki started to develop an AIM drug for cat renal disease with a sponsor company that helped him.
Just before starting the clinical trials to obtain the approval by the Japanese government, however, COVID-19 broke out and hit the economy catastrophically, making it impossible for the sponsor to support Miyazaki's project any longer.
While continuing his unstinting efforts to collect funds to restart the cat AIM project, Miyazaki wants cat owners all over the world to know that there is a way to cure their pets of renal disease.
- 07/29 01:03 LDP to Gear Up for Leadership Election
- 07/29 00:14 (Update) Japanese Swimmer Ohashi Wins 2nd Olympic Gold
- 07/28 22:14 Okinawa OKs Coral Transplant from Base Construction Site
- 07/28 21:48 Japan Eyes COVID-19 Emergency for Tokyo Neighbors
- 07/28 20:51 Japan to Mull Employment Insurance Premium Hike
- 07/28 20:41 (Update 2) Tokyo's Daily COVID-19 Cases Top 3,000 for 1st Time
- 07/28 19:44 10,000 Origami Cranes Adorn Tokyo Olympic Venues
- 07/28 18:15 4,000 Meals Uneaten at Tokyo Olympic Opening Ceremony
- 07/28 18:08 (Update) Tokyo's Daily COVID-19 Infections Top 3,000 for 1st Time
- 07/28 17:59 Japanese Schoolchildren's Eyesight Worsens in 2020
- 07/28 17:15 Ohashi Celebrates Dream-Like Victories in Olympic Debut
- 07/28 17:06 Tokyo's Daily COVID-19 Infections Top 3,000 for 1st Time
- 07/28 16:58 Tokyo Neighbors to Request Emergency Declaration by State
- 07/28 16:44 Tokyo Olympic Goods Sales Turn Around after Kickoff
- 07/28 16:17 Takeout Grilled Eels in Spotlight amid Pandemic
- 07/28 15:02 Ohashi Becomes 1st Japanese Female Swimmer to Win 2 Olympic Golds
- 07/28 14:53 (Update) Typhoon Nepartak Lands in Japan's Miyagi Prefecture
- 07/28 14:17 Suga Hoping for Boost from Olympic Gold Medals
- 07/28 14:11 Japan Revises Down Coincident Index for May
- 07/28 14:01 BOJ Member Worried about Further Downward Risks from COVID-19
- 07/28 13:14 Satsuki Eda, Ex-Head of Japan's Upper House, Dies at 80
- 07/28 11:29 Tokyo Games to Have Little Effect on Japan Economy: IMF Economist
- 07/28 09:13 Typhoon Nepartak Lands in Japan's Miyagi Prefecture
- 07/27 23:23 (Update) Japan Wins Second Straight Softball Olympic Gold
- 07/27 22:32 (Update 2) Tokyo Logs Record 2,848 New COVID-19 Cases during Olympics
- 07/27 22:17 (Update) IMF Cuts 2021 Growth Forecast for Japan to 2.8 Pct
- 07/27 21:59 Suga Rules Out Ending Tokyo Olympics Halfway amid COVID-19 Surge
- 07/27 21:29 Japan Govt to Provide Relief to "Black Rain" Victims: Suga
- 07/27 19:52 Japan's Igarashi Wins Silver in Olympic Surfing
- 07/27 19:01 Jomon Ruins in Japan Added to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 07/27 17:29 Volunteers Seeking New Roles in No-Spectator Tokyo Olympics
- 07/27 17:23 (Update) Tokyo Logs Record-High 2,848 New COVID-19 Cases
- 07/27 16:34 Opposition Lawmaker Honda Submits Resignation from CDP
- 07/27 16:17 Olympic Traffic Controls Affecting Toyosu Market in Tokyo
- 07/27 15:45 Japan's Youngest Olympic Gold Medalist Thanks Others for Support
- 07/27 15:41 Japan Services Producer Prices Up 1.4 Pct in June
- 07/27 12:36 Int'l Panel Begins Talks on Bluefin Tuna Catch Quota Expansion
- 07/27 12:25 Marugame Seimen Opens Udon Restaurant in London
- 07/27 09:22 Japan Employment Adjustment Subsidy Payments Top 4 T. Yen
- 07/27 01:05 Japan Panel Opposes Changing Line of Imperial Succession
- 07/26 22:38 (Update) Typhoon Nepartak Likely to Strike Northeastern Japan
- 07/26 22:19 (Update) Japan Govt Not to Appeal Ruling over Hiroshima "Black Rain"
- 07/26 22:10 Japan Labor Ministry Starts Review to Discretionary Work System
- 07/26 21:44 (Update) Tokyo's COVID-19 Cases Top 200,000, with 1,429 Daily Cases
- 07/26 21:11 (Update 2) Japan Protests Russian Prime Minister's Island Visit
- 07/26 20:42 (Update) Judoka Ono, Skateboarder Nishiya Win Olympic Gold
- 07/26 20:21 Olympic Medalist-Linked Firms' Stock Prices Go Up
- 07/26 19:52 Japan Govt to Carry Over Record 30 T. Yen in FY 2020 Budget
- 07/26 19:26 Southwestern Japan Isles Registered as World Heritage Site
- 07/26 18:18 (Update) Japan Protests Russian Prime Minister's Island Visit
- 07/26 18:10 Japan Mulls 66 Pct Emission Cut for Households
- 07/26 18:09 Japan Govt Not to Appeal Ruling over Hiroshima "Black Rain"
- 07/26 17:52 Olympic Emblem Designer Hopeful for Games despite Challenges
- 07/26 17:45 (Update) Russian PM Visits Etorofu, One of Isles Disputed with Japan
- 07/26 17:36 Tokyo's COVID-19 Cases Top 200,000, with 1,429 Daily Cases
- 07/26 16:08 Tokyo Games Opening Ceremony TV Rating Hits 56.4 Pct
- 07/26 15:29 IOC OKs Photos without Masks at Medal Ceremonies
- 07/26 15:21 Russian PM's Island Visit Regrettable: Japan Govt Spokesman
- 07/26 14:38 Japan's Nishiya, 13, Wins Olympic Skateboarding Gold
- 07/26 14:33 Google Offering Browser Game to Commemorate Tokyo Olympics
- 07/26 13:23 Applications for Coronavirus Vaccine Passports Start in Japan
- 07/26 13:04 Russian PM Visits Etorofu, One of Isles Disputed with Japan
- 07/26 12:36 Father of Victim Remembers Sagamihara Massacre after 5 Years
- 07/26 12:16 Coronavirus Cases in Japan Total over 870,000
- 07/26 09:53 (Update) Russian PM Mishustin to Visit Etorofu
- 07/25 21:02 Shinkin Banks Promoting Local Specialties in Japan
- 07/25 20:46 (Update) Abe Siblings Win Judo Olympic Gold Medals
- 07/25 19:41 (Update) Tokyo's Coronavirus Tally Hits Record for Sunday
- 07/25 17:24 Tokyo Reports 1,763 Coronavirus Cases
- 07/25 16:59 Tokyo Olympics Dutch Rower Tests Positive for Coronavirus
- 07/25 16:17 Swimmer Ohashi, Skateboarder Horigome Win Olympic Gold
- 07/25 14:09 Large Typhoon Nepartak May Hit Tokyo Tues.
- 07/25 13:11 Sugita Becomes Longest-Serving Deputy Chief Cabinet Sec.
- 07/25 02:20 (Update) Takato Wins Japan's 1st Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- 07/25 01:02 (Update) Tokyo Reports 1,128 Coronavirus Cases
- 07/24 23:39 Swimmer Ikee Returns to Olympics, Resolved to Give People Hope
- 07/24 22:03 Suga, Macron Tout Tokyo Games as "Symbol of Global Unity"
- 07/24 20:50 Judoka Takato Wins Japan's 1st Gold at Tokyo Olympics
- 07/24 20:03 Eateries Angry at Tokyo over Swift COVID-19 Aid Scheme
- 07/24 18:33 Gymnastics Star Uchimura Bows Out of Tokyo Olympics
- 07/24 17:41 Tokyo Reports 1,128 Coronavirus Cases
- 07/24 16:30 17 New COVID-19 Cases Found among Tokyo Games-Related People
- 07/24 16:06 Russia Eyes "Unprecedented" Joint Activity Proposals to Japan
- 07/24 15:49 Past Olympics Failed to Boost Sports Participation: Study
- 07/24 02:21 People Gather around Olympics Ceremony Venue
- 07/24 00:53 (Update) World Paying Close Attention to Tokyo Olympics
- 07/23 21:26 (Update) Tokyo Olympics Officially Kicking Off amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- 07/23 20:32 (Update) Tokyo Records 1,359 New Coronavirus Cases
- 07/23 20:20 Tokyo Olympics Officially Kicking Off amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- 07/23 19:44 Japan Emperor Meets Foreign Dignitaries ahead of Start of Olympics
- 07/23 19:04 (Update) Japan ASDF Aerobatic Team Draws Olympic Rings
- 07/23 18:07 Tokyo Records 1,359 New Coronavirus Cases
- 07/23 16:13 U.S. First Lady Interacts with Suga's Wife over Japanese Culture
- 07/23 13:57 (Update) Arrival Ceremony Held for Olympic Flame in Tokyo
- 07/23 13:43 Japan ASDF Aerobatic Team Draws Olympic Rings
- 07/23 12:56 Arrival Ceremony Held for Olympic Flame in Tokyo
- 07/23 12:45 Public Urged to Quietly Enjoy Olympics at Home
- 07/23 12:13 Coronavirus Cases among Olympics-Related People Top 100
- 07/23 11:35 Medical Workers, Relatives of COVID-19 Victims Worried about Olympics
- 07/23 11:20 Suga Asks Pfizer to Move Up COVID-19 Vaccine Supply to Japan
- 07/23 10:02 Little Festivity on Eve of Official Opening of Tokyo Olympics
- 07/23 09:22 Tokyo Olympics to Officially Open Fri. Night amid Pandemic
- 07/23 08:35 Tokyo Games Medalists to Get Special Reconstruction Bouquet
- 07/23 07:59 Noted Children's Literature Author Masamoto Nasu Dies at 79
- 07/23 00:37 UNESCO Finds Japan's Explanations about Korean Laborers Insufficient
- 07/22 23:11 Suga Holds Talks with U.S. First Lady
- 07/22 22:24 (Update) Japan Improves to 2-0 in Olympic Women's Softball
- 07/22 21:40 (Update 5) Tokyo Olympics Show Director Fired over Holocaust Remarks
- 07/22 20:01 (Update) Tokyo Confirms 1,979 New COVID-19 Cases
- 07/22 19:03 Emperor Naruhito Wants Beacon of Hope from Olympics
- 07/22 17:51 Tokyo Olympics to Officially Kick Off Friday
- 07/22 15:55 Suga to Ask Pfizer to Move Up Vaccine Supply Schedule
- 07/22 11:49 Tokyo Olympics Show Director Condemned over Anti-Semitic Remarks
- 07/22 10:30 Sugita's Tenure as Deputy Chief Cabinet Sec. to Break Record
- 07/22 02:51 COVID-19 Infections Decrease Sharply among Vaccinated Elderly
- 07/22 01:53 Japan's Vaccine Passport to Be Accepted in 7 Nations
- 07/14 15:00 Japanese Professor Developing Remedy for Renal Disease in Cats