Dinosaurs beheaded at Australian museum
Three model raptors at Australia's national dinosaur museum have been beheaded by mystery vandals who scaled a fence and removed the parts using an angle grinder or hacksaw, police said Tuesday.
Investigators are hunting for the attackers after the damage to the dinosaurs -- which were in an outside display area -- took place late Saturday at the museum in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory police said.
The damage sustained to the (three velociraptor) dinosaurs indicate that an angle grinder or hacksaw was used to remove the heads from the body, they said.
The offenders had climbed a four-foot fence to gain entry.
Museum staffer Mitchell Seymour said the damaged dinos were first spotted by visitors, with children puzzled at what happened.
We went out to check it out and three of our dinosaurs here have been decapitated, Seymour told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
We had heaps of kids coming up and going 'oh mum and dad, what's wrong with the dinosaurs?'
It's selfish, and it's thoughtless is what it is.
A giant fibreglass dinosaur was stolen from the museum in 2013 and later found in the home of a man who said it was taken as a birthday prank, ABC reported.
(2017/08/09 11:06)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 08/16 11:52 Football-- Mexico zoo names tiger cub for French star Gignac
- 08/16 11:37 Neymar becomes Handicap International ambassador
- 08/16 11:32 Love office cats? Then try a wild puma
- 08/16 11:28 Outrage as Swiss hotel orders 'Jewish guests' to shower before swimming
- 08/16 11:25 Chinese teen internet addict dies after rehab
- 08/16 11:19 Egypt discovers three millennia-old tombs
- 08/15 14:53 Five drugs found in Tiger Woods' system after arrest
- 08/15 14:48 Taylor Swift wins groping lawsuit
- 08/15 14:46 Bugs on the menu at Swiss supermarket
- 08/15 14:32 By attacking queen bumblebee, pesticide threatens colony-- study
- 08/15 14:26 Obama message goes viral after Charlottesville violence
- 08/15 14:24 French 'falling out of love' with Macron after 100 days
- 08/14 14:33 'Chess god' Kasparov returns to compete 12 years later
- 08/14 14:28 Outrage mounts over dozens of infant deaths at India hospital
- 08/14 12:34 Zidane confirms to extend Real Madrid contract
- 08/14 12:29 Women to train as Russian air force pilots
- 08/14 12:27 Hunter fells elephant that killed 15 in India
- 08/14 12:23 Van Gogh goes virtual as 'Sunflowers' unite via livestream
- 08/10 14:40 Makwala given thumbs-up to run 200m at London world championships
- 08/10 14:38 Ancient skull hints at African roots for ape-human ancestor-- study
- 08/10 14:35 Transgender US troops sue Trump over ban announcement
- 08/10 14:26 Rogue elephant tramples 15 to death in India, faces culling
- 08/10 14:24 Mozilla and fact-checker engine join fight on fake news
- 08/10 14:19 In Yemen war, Red Cross treats diseases 'nobody should die of'
- 08/09 11:13 Seb Coe and IAAF behaviour 'inhumane', says Gatlin's agent
- 08/09 11:06 Dinosaurs beheaded at Australian museum
- 08/09 11:01 Violence creating 'lost generation' of Middle East men-- study
- 08/09 10:56 Google fires defender of tech gender gap-- US media
- 08/09 10:45 Country music legend Glen Campbell dead at 81
- 08/09 10:43 Want to learn something? Sleep on it, but not too deeply-- study
- 08/08 14:43 Birthplace of Apostle Peter found in Israel-- archaeologist
- 08/08 14:40 French critic who aroused appetite for nouvelle cuisine dies
- 08/08 14:37 For guide dogs, 'tough love' is best, even as puppies
- 08/08 14:34 New gene study rewrites Neanderthal history
- 08/08 14:24 Boko Haram kill 31 fishermen in Nigeria