Rogue elephant tramples 15 to death in India, faces culling
An elephant that has killed 15 people in eastern India over a months-long rampage could be shot within days if it is not brought under control, an official said Wednesday.
Wildlife rangers and hunters assembled in Jharkhand after another victim was trampled to death Tuesday evening, the state's chief forest and wildlife conservator L.R. Singh told AFP.
The rogue elephant crushed four victims in Bihar state in March before crossing into neighbouring Jharkhand and killing 11 more.
Villagers are living in fear, especially the Paharia tribe that lives on the upper hillier regions where the elephant roams. Something must be done, Singh said, referring to one of the poorest indigenous tribal communities in eastern India.
We have a team of experts and hunters here with us. We are brainstorming a solution... one of them is to shoot the animal. But that's the last resort and we will take a call in a day or two.
The marauding elephant likely wandered from its herd and became lost, straying into villages where the killings took place.
Elephants kill roughly 60 people every year in forested Jharkhand, Singh said, just a fraction of the estimated 1,100 who died nationwide from elephant or tiger attacks in the three years to May.
The environment ministry estimates a person dies every day in India in clashes with these endangered, jungle-dwelling animals -- the vast majority crushed by elephants.
Violent encounters between elephants and humans were an increasing trend, said Singh, as vast swathes of forest are cleared for human settlements or industry.
(2017/08/10 14:26)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 08/17 16:24 McGregor vows fast finish against Mayweather
- 08/17 16:18 Ancient species of giant sloth discovered in Mexico
- 08/17 16:12 China blockbuster joins top 100 grossing films worldwide
- 08/17 16:05 Emma Stone tops list of best paid actresses
- 08/17 15:59 Game of Thrones actor warns about husky craze
- 08/17 15:51 Visitors flock to Belgium's giant omelette festival despite scandal
- 08/16 11:52 Football-- Mexico zoo names tiger cub for French star Gignac
- 08/16 11:37 Neymar becomes Handicap International ambassador
- 08/16 11:32 Love office cats? Then try a wild puma
- 08/16 11:28 Outrage as Swiss hotel orders 'Jewish guests' to shower before swimming
- 08/16 11:25 Chinese teen internet addict dies after rehab
- 08/16 11:19 Egypt discovers three millennia-old tombs
- 08/15 14:53 Five drugs found in Tiger Woods' system after arrest
- 08/15 14:48 Taylor Swift wins groping lawsuit
- 08/15 14:46 Bugs on the menu at Swiss supermarket
- 08/15 14:32 By attacking queen bumblebee, pesticide threatens colony-- study
- 08/15 14:26 Obama message goes viral after Charlottesville violence
- 08/15 14:24 French 'falling out of love' with Macron after 100 days
- 08/14 14:33 'Chess god' Kasparov returns to compete 12 years later
- 08/14 14:28 Outrage mounts over dozens of infant deaths at India hospital
- 08/14 12:34 Zidane confirms to extend Real Madrid contract
- 08/14 12:29 Women to train as Russian air force pilots
- 08/14 12:27 Hunter fells elephant that killed 15 in India
- 08/14 12:23 Van Gogh goes virtual as 'Sunflowers' unite via livestream
- 08/10 14:40 Makwala given thumbs-up to run 200m at London world championships
- 08/10 14:38 Ancient skull hints at African roots for ape-human ancestor-- study
- 08/10 14:35 Transgender US troops sue Trump over ban announcement
- 08/10 14:26 Rogue elephant tramples 15 to death in India, faces culling
- 08/10 14:24 Mozilla and fact-checker engine join fight on fake news
- 08/10 14:19 In Yemen war, Red Cross treats diseases 'nobody should die of'
- 08/09 11:13 Seb Coe and IAAF behaviour 'inhumane', says Gatlin's agent
- 08/09 11:06 Dinosaurs beheaded at Australian museum
- 08/09 11:01 Violence creating 'lost generation' of Middle East men-- study
- 08/09 10:56 Google fires defender of tech gender gap-- US media
- 08/09 10:45 Country music legend Glen Campbell dead at 81
- 08/09 10:43 Want to learn something? Sleep on it, but not too deeply-- study
- 08/08 14:43 Birthplace of Apostle Peter found in Israel-- archaeologist
- 08/08 14:40 French critic who aroused appetite for nouvelle cuisine dies
- 08/08 14:37 For guide dogs, 'tough love' is best, even as puppies
- 08/08 14:34 New gene study rewrites Neanderthal history
- 08/08 14:24 Boko Haram kill 31 fishermen in Nigeria