130-tonne 'monster fatberg' clogs London sewer
Sewage workers have found a 130-tonne ball of congealed fat -- dubbed a monster fatberg -- clogging a Victorian-era sewer in London, utility company Thames Water said Tuesday.
Engineers expect it will take up to three-weeks to remove the rock-solid mass of festering food fat mixed with sanitary wipes found in drains under a major road in Whitechapel, east London.
This fatberg is up there with the biggest we've ever seen. It's a total monster and taking a lot of manpower and machinery to remove as it's set hard, Matt Rimmer, Thames Water's head of waste, said in a statement.
It's basically like trying to break up concrete. It's frustrating as these situations are totally avoidable and caused by fat, oil and grease being washed down sinks and wipes flushed down the loo, he added.
Images show that the sewer totally blocked by the 250-metre (273-yard) long fatberg.
An eight-member crew is removing an average of 20 to 30 tonnes a day, the statement explained, using high-powered jet hoses to break up the mass which is then sucked out into tankers.
Weighing the same as 11 double decker buses, the fatberg easily eclipses the one found in 2013 in Kingston, southwest London.
Described at the time as Britain's biggest ever fatberg, it weighed 15 tonnes and took ten days to clear up.
Thames Water clears up an average of three fat related blockages and five blockages caused by items including wet wipes every hour from its sewers in London and the Thames Valley.
It costs the company around £1 million ($1.3 million, 1.1 million euros) a month to do so.
(2017/09/13 12:02)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 11:19 France 'to stay home' if no Korea security guarantee
- 09/22 11:15 Burned-out French chef gives back Michelin stars
- 09/22 11:09 Croatia school removes Melania Trump English ads
- 09/22 11:05 Alarm over flesh-eating ulcer cases in Australia
- 09/22 11:01 Veggie dinosaurs also liked a shellfish snack
- 09/22 10:57 US police fatally shoot deaf man despite neighbors' warnings
- 09/21 14:39 'Raging Bull' boxer Jake LaMotta dead at 95
- 09/21 14:37 London parrot does online shopping by mimicking owner
- 09/21 14:32 Singaporean accused of swapping tags on bags at airport
- 09/21 14:24 Genome editing reveals key gene for human embryo growth
- 09/21 14:22 Dying days-- ailing photographer documents fellow patients
- 09/21 14:20 Europe urged to reconsider pullout from 'Armageddon' asteroid mission
- 09/20 14:30 Durant sorry for 'idiotic' tweets
- 09/20 14:27 Move over Disney, Mexico plans Mayan theme park
- 09/20 14:25 Six emerge from 8-mo Mars experiment in Hawaii dome
- 09/20 14:21 Fishermen 'kept like slaves' in Taiwan
- 09/20 14:19 Nine stray elephants electrocuted in Botswana
- 09/20 14:16 Today's US teens about three years behind '70s generation
- 09/19 14:39 Skin patch melts 'love-handles' in mice-- study
- 09/19 14:36 Clogged drain? Could mean toilet is flush with cash
- 09/19 14:33 Smokers with HIV far more likely to die of lung cancer
- 09/19 14:28 British cyclist set to beat Phileas Fogg's round the world dash
- 09/19 14:24 Banksy honours Basquiat with new London murals
- 09/19 14:22 Get in formation-- Punk band slips onto Beyonce vinyl
- 09/15 12:23 Winter Games unveils schedule as ticket sales flag
- 09/15 12:19 Rome sets mosquito campaign after chikungunya cases
- 09/15 12:16 Selena Gomez reveals kidney transplant
- 09/15 12:12 US Treasury chief sought Air Force jet for European honeymoon
- 09/15 11:30 Lawsuit accuses Google of paying women less than men
- 09/15 11:28 Evidence of one of world's rarest birds found in Australia
- 09/14 14:44 Shanghai Shenhua tell 'overweight' Tevez to shape up
- 09/14 14:37 Mother of all box sets-- Gene Simmons to deliver 'vault'
- 09/14 14:31 Cholera cases in Yemen could hit 850,000 this year-- Red Cross
- 09/14 14:27 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory hero 'was black boy'
- 09/14 14:24 Hundreds of Rohingya children arrive in Bangladesh alone
- 09/14 14:20 'Extinct' giant tortoise to be bred in captivity
- 09/13 12:20 Los Angeles happy to celebrate 2028 Olympics victory
- 09/13 12:15 Hemingway cats feline fine after Irma batters Keys
- 09/13 12:11 'Fluffy' the great white shark heads back to sea
- 09/13 12:08 Bangladesh plans to move reluctant Rohingya to remote island
- 09/13 12:02 130-tonne 'monster fatberg' clogs London sewer
- 09/13 11:59 Tattoo ink can seep deep into the body-- study