'Fluffy' the great white shark heads back to sea
A baby great white shark that stunned onlookers when it washed up on a popular Sydney beach was released back into the ocean Tuesday after spending the night in an aquarium.
The thrashing 1.5-metre (4.9-foot) animal, nicknamed Fluffy by marine experts, came ashore at busy Manly beach on Monday.
When you see a real-life shark, it's scary, Dan Korocz, who was at the beach with his young family, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
I've got a four-year-old and a two-year-old and we went down to the water's edge and then it came in.
Several attempts were made to immediately return the injured shark to the sea by staff from the nearby Manly Sea Life Sanctuary, but it kept coming back to land.
The Sea Life team then put the creature in a sling and carried it to a nearby rockpool -- attracting crowds of curious onlookers -- while they worked out what to do.
They later took the shark to the sanctuary, where its health was assessed and it made a good recovery overnight, said the centre's senior aquarist Robbie McCracken.
Fluffy was finally released into the open ocean after being loaded into a tank of water on a boat Tuesday.
This animal is better suited to recovery out in its environment, McCracken told the Nine Network, adding it was extremely rare for a shark to beach itself.
These great white sharks usually are animals that would tend to be offshore a bit, out in the deeper, more unrestricted waters.
This one for whatever reason found its way up into the beaches of Manly and then into the surf zone where it came into a bit of grief. That is where we were able to step in and sort of intervene.
(2017/09/13 12:11)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 09/22 11:19 France 'to stay home' if no Korea security guarantee
- 09/22 11:15 Burned-out French chef gives back Michelin stars
- 09/22 11:09 Croatia school removes Melania Trump English ads
- 09/22 11:05 Alarm over flesh-eating ulcer cases in Australia
- 09/22 11:01 Veggie dinosaurs also liked a shellfish snack
- 09/22 10:57 US police fatally shoot deaf man despite neighbors' warnings
- 09/21 14:39 'Raging Bull' boxer Jake LaMotta dead at 95
- 09/21 14:37 London parrot does online shopping by mimicking owner
- 09/21 14:32 Singaporean accused of swapping tags on bags at airport
- 09/21 14:24 Genome editing reveals key gene for human embryo growth
- 09/21 14:22 Dying days-- ailing photographer documents fellow patients
- 09/21 14:20 Europe urged to reconsider pullout from 'Armageddon' asteroid mission
- 09/20 14:30 Durant sorry for 'idiotic' tweets
- 09/20 14:27 Move over Disney, Mexico plans Mayan theme park
- 09/20 14:25 Six emerge from 8-mo Mars experiment in Hawaii dome
- 09/20 14:21 Fishermen 'kept like slaves' in Taiwan
- 09/20 14:19 Nine stray elephants electrocuted in Botswana
- 09/20 14:16 Today's US teens about three years behind '70s generation
- 09/19 14:39 Skin patch melts 'love-handles' in mice-- study
- 09/19 14:36 Clogged drain? Could mean toilet is flush with cash
- 09/19 14:33 Smokers with HIV far more likely to die of lung cancer
- 09/19 14:28 British cyclist set to beat Phileas Fogg's round the world dash
- 09/19 14:24 Banksy honours Basquiat with new London murals
- 09/19 14:22 Get in formation-- Punk band slips onto Beyonce vinyl
- 09/15 12:23 Winter Games unveils schedule as ticket sales flag
- 09/15 12:19 Rome sets mosquito campaign after chikungunya cases
- 09/15 12:16 Selena Gomez reveals kidney transplant
- 09/15 12:12 US Treasury chief sought Air Force jet for European honeymoon
- 09/15 11:30 Lawsuit accuses Google of paying women less than men
- 09/15 11:28 Evidence of one of world's rarest birds found in Australia
- 09/14 14:44 Shanghai Shenhua tell 'overweight' Tevez to shape up
- 09/14 14:37 Mother of all box sets-- Gene Simmons to deliver 'vault'
- 09/14 14:31 Cholera cases in Yemen could hit 850,000 this year-- Red Cross
- 09/14 14:27 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory hero 'was black boy'
- 09/14 14:24 Hundreds of Rohingya children arrive in Bangladesh alone
- 09/14 14:20 'Extinct' giant tortoise to be bred in captivity
- 09/13 12:20 Los Angeles happy to celebrate 2028 Olympics victory
- 09/13 12:15 Hemingway cats feline fine after Irma batters Keys
- 09/13 12:11 'Fluffy' the great white shark heads back to sea
- 09/13 12:08 Bangladesh plans to move reluctant Rohingya to remote island
- 09/13 12:02 130-tonne 'monster fatberg' clogs London sewer
- 09/13 11:59 Tattoo ink can seep deep into the body-- study