Unsent text message passes for will in Australia
A dead man's unsent text message leaving his home and pension to his brother rather than his wife and son and signed off with a smiley face emoji has been ruled a legitimate will by an Australian court.
The draft message, addressed to the man's brother, was found on his phone after he took his own life in October 2016, aged 55.
The informal nature of the text does not exclude it from being sufficient to represent the deceased?s testamentary intentions, said Justice Susan Brown when handing down her decision at the Brisbane Supreme Court.
The unsent text released by the court described how the man had become disgruntled with his wife.
You and (nephew) keep all that I have house and superannuation, put my ashes in the back garden... (wife) will take her stuff only she?s ok gone back to her ex AGAIN I?m beaten, it read.
The message provided the man's bank account details and was signed off My will, followed by the smiling character.
The man's wife argued that it could not be accepted as a will since the message was never sent, but the court found Monday that the wording of the text indicated the man's intent to have it included in his will.
The reference to his house and superannuation and his specification that the (wife) was to take her own things indicates he was aware of the nature and extent of his estate, which was relatively small, Brown added.
The court said the deceased did not have any real contact with his son and a rocky relationship with his wife, although they did in the past enjoy happier times.
Despite the ruling, the judge found that the man's wife could make a further application for the estate under family law.
(2017/10/12 10:55)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 10/18 11:20 Waiting periods on guns prevent 750 US deaths per year-- study
- 10/18 09:45 Leicester sack manager Craig Shakespeare - reports
- 10/18 09:40 France to impose instant fines for street harassment of women
- 10/18 09:35 Spain court orders psychic to pay for Dali exhumation
- 10/18 09:32 Smoking to be stubbed out on Thai beaches
- 10/18 09:29 William and Kate expect baby in April-- Kensington Palace
- 10/17 11:43 Trump dubs sexual harassment claims 'totally fake news'
- 10/17 11:14 Olympic swimming champion Ervin kneels during US anthem
- 10/17 11:05 Ed Sheeran Asia tour dates in doubt after cycling injury
- 10/17 10:59 Singer Bjork tells of sexual harassment by director
- 10/17 10:49 'Olympic flame' from Tokyo 1964 went out 4 years ago-- officials
- 10/17 10:46 Big bundle of joy-- Vietnam woman gives birth to 7 kg baby
- 10/16 11:44 Kaepernick files grievance claiming NFL owners collusion-- report
- 10/16 11:10 Australia unity call as dates set for World Cup play-off
- 10/16 11:04 British actress becomes fifth women to accuse Weinstein of rape
- 10/16 10:58 Russia hosts Soviet-style youth festival as Putin woos under-30s
- 10/16 10:54 India man-eating tiger dies after being electrocuted
- 10/16 10:48 Rare north Atlantic hurricane heads for Ireland, UK
- 10/13 14:15 Catalans' last brush with statehood-- 10 bloody hours in 1934
- 10/13 14:12 Philippines' Duterte threatens to expel EU diplomats
- 10/13 12:54 Panama president declares World Cup national holiday
- 10/13 12:45 Swiss open corruption probe against PSG's Al-Khelaifi, ex-FIFA executive Valcke
- 10/13 12:38 Paris wants to phase out diesel cars by 2024
- 10/13 12:35 Spikes in carbon emissions detected with NASA satellite
- 10/12 11:28 Dwarf planet has a ring to it-- study
- 10/12 11:25 Black model in Dove video says ad 'misinterpreted'
- 10/12 11:20 India's top court says sex with child is always rape
- 10/12 11:17 Most US police killings go uncounted on death certs
- 10/12 10:59 MPs join 'tea party' in fresh bid to legalise cannabis
- 10/12 10:55 Unsent text message passes for will in Australia
- 10/11 10:48 IOC completes retesting of 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics samples
- 10/11 10:45 Cancer victim gives Kyrgios 'higher purpose'
- 10/11 10:38 US scientists engineer corn to boost protein
- 10/11 09:54 Nobel economics laureate wants to spend prize 'irrationally'
- 10/11 09:49 Hollywood mogul Weinstein accused of rape
- 10/11 09:42 Weather causes 'lowest' European wine output since WWII
- 10/10 11:20 Better marriages make for healthier hearts-- study
- 10/10 10:58 Dolphins coach resigns over 'white powder' video
- 10/10 10:54 Philippines says sorry to China for Taiwan logo gaffe
- 10/10 10:51 Catch a whiff of this-- scientists decode durian DNA
- 10/10 10:47 Dove sorry for advert branded 'racist'
- 10/10 08:45 Nepal's newly-retired 'living goddess' starts school