'Revenge porn'-- Facebook to compensate N. Irish teen
Facebook has settled a legal case involving naked photos posted on the social media platform of a Northern Irish teenager, the lawyer for the victim confirmed to AFP on Wednesday.
Pearse McDermott, who has been representing the teenage girl, said they had reached a confidential agreement with the US tech titan.
Facebook has agreed to pay the costs of the action, he said.
The girl had sued the company for damages, claiming negligence, fraudulent use of personal information and violations of data protection law.
During the proceedings, her lawyers had compared the posting of the photos to child abuse.
The case was initiated in 2014, when the girl was 14 years-old, after she reported the repeated posting of the revealing photo on a shame page on Facebook.
A spokesman for the social media site declined to comment on the conclusion of the case.
He said Facebook was committed to constantly improving its platform and listening to users.
The spokesman added the company had set up tools to fight against practices known as revenge porn, when ex-partners post intimate snapshots or videos.
(2018/01/11 11:38)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/19 11:03 Woody Allen hits back at daughter molestation claims
- 01/19 10:57 Giant pandas arrive in Finland in Chinese charm offensive
- 01/18 14:54 S. Korea's 'kimchi deficit' hits record high
- 01/18 14:52 Famed US artist's sculpture destroyed in S. Korea
- 01/18 14:48 Republican senator slams Trump for Stalin-like attacks on media
- 01/18 14:44 Yabba dabba doo! Malaysian sultan gets Flintstones car
- 01/18 14:38 Daughter Dylan says telling 'truth' about Woody Allen
- 01/18 14:32 Trump reveals winners of controversial 'Fake News Awards'
- 01/17 14:16 US state of New Jersey outlaws drunk droning
- 01/17 12:58 EU sets 2030 target for recyclable plastic packaging
- 01/17 12:52 Federer urges players not to act like 'robots' with the media
- 01/17 12:44 Grunter Sabalenka feels Aussie wrath
- 01/17 12:39 S. Korean soldiers' wages almost doubled
- 01/17 12:33 Cranberries singer was preparing new version of 'Zombie'
- 01/16 14:46 Ref, technology controversies cast shadow over Ligue 1
- 01/16 14:39 Suppressing a sneeze can be dangerous, doctors warn
- 01/16 14:33 Naked Cowboy bravely sings of love for Trump in Mexico
- 01/16 14:30 Abducted Chibok girls say 'we won't return'-- Boko Haram video
- 01/16 14:26 Le smartphone? France has another term in mind
- 01/16 14:16 US auto industry jobs down under Trump
- 01/15 11:19 Aches, pains and illness ahead of Australian Open
- 01/15 11:11 Strike disrupts Golf Channel coverage of Sony Open
- 01/15 11:08 Ukraine to launch its first solar plant at Chernobyl
- 01/15 11:03 London store Harrods to remove Diana statue
- 01/15 10:55 'How much do you earn?' Germany takes on gender pay gap
- 01/15 10:51 'Feminist' Deneuve apologises to sex assault victims
- 01/12 12:01 Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations
- 01/12 11:56 Pirate attacks at two-decade low-- maritime watchdog
- 01/12 11:52 Spain surpassed US as tourism destination in 2017-- Rajoy
- 01/12 11:46 First women-only car showroom opens in Saudi
- 01/12 11:33 Race to save Indonesian croc stricken by tyre necklace
- 01/12 11:12 Deep, buried glaciers spotted on Mars
- 01/11 12:06 China snorts at pigs aping donkey burgers
- 01/11 12:02 8 in 10 French people believe a conspiracy theory-- survey
- 01/11 11:50 Nepali woman suffocates in 'menstruation hut'
- 01/11 11:45 Uproar in Hollywood over Williams-Wahlberg pay gap
- 01/11 11:41 UK army seeks recruits by offering emotional support
- 01/11 11:38 'Revenge porn'-- Facebook to compensate N. Irish teen
- 01/10 14:19 Midnight vows after historic Australia gay marriage reforms
- 01/10 12:49 Bats' brains boil in Australia heatwave
- 01/10 12:44 Intel chief says chip flaw damage contained by industry
- 01/10 12:38 Conjoined Gaza twins separated in 'successful' Saudi op
- 01/10 12:34 Queen complains about 'horrible' coronation carriage
- 01/10 12:31 SpaceX says rocket worked fine as spy satellite reported lost