Spain surpassed US as tourism destination in 2017-- Rajoy
Spain last year surpassed the United States to become the world's second most visited country after France, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said during a visit to Italy.
Rajoy, speaking late Wednesday, said 82 million people visited in 2017, a nine percent increase over the previous year that came despite terror attacks and the political crisis in tourism magnet Catalonia.
Tourism earnings rose 12 percent, totaling 87 billion euros ($104 billion), he said in Rome on the sidelines of a southern European summit on migration.
In 2016, Spain welcomed 75.3 million visitors, just behind the United States with 75.6 million, while France -- despite its own terror woes -- easily remained the world leader with 82.6 million visitors, according to the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
International tourism to the United States shrank during the first five months of Donald Trump's presidency, according to the US International Trade Administration.
Arrivals fell five percent in the first quarter and three percent in the second quarter, official figures show.
Rajoy praised the Spanish tourism sector's great effort to become more competitive.
Arrivals in Spain beat records for the fifth consecutive year, despite jihadist attacks in the Catalonia capital Barcelona and nearby Cambrils last August that left 16 dead.
Catalonia also remains in the grip of a secession crisis.
Arrivals recovered after dropping off by five percent year-on-year in October as massive demonstrations were staged following a failed independence bid.
The Madrid-based UNWTO is set to release its figures for 2017 on Monday.
The French foreign ministry said in December it estimated 2017 arrivals at upwards of 89 million.
(2018/01/12 11:52)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/19 11:15 Norway aims for all short-haul flights 100% electric by 2040
- 01/19 11:12 'Fire and Fury' to get TV adaptation-- reports
- 01/19 11:09 Violent storms bring travel chaos to the Netherlands
- 01/19 11:06 Last three years hottest on record-- UN
- 01/19 11:03 Woody Allen hits back at daughter molestation claims
- 01/19 10:57 Giant pandas arrive in Finland in Chinese charm offensive
- 01/18 14:54 S. Korea's 'kimchi deficit' hits record high
- 01/18 14:52 Famed US artist's sculpture destroyed in S. Korea
- 01/18 14:48 Republican senator slams Trump for Stalin-like attacks on media
- 01/18 14:44 Yabba dabba doo! Malaysian sultan gets Flintstones car
- 01/18 14:38 Daughter Dylan says telling 'truth' about Woody Allen
- 01/18 14:32 Trump reveals winners of controversial 'Fake News Awards'
- 01/17 14:16 US state of New Jersey outlaws drunk droning
- 01/17 12:58 EU sets 2030 target for recyclable plastic packaging
- 01/17 12:52 Federer urges players not to act like 'robots' with the media
- 01/17 12:44 Grunter Sabalenka feels Aussie wrath
- 01/17 12:39 S. Korean soldiers' wages almost doubled
- 01/17 12:33 Cranberries singer was preparing new version of 'Zombie'
- 01/16 14:46 Ref, technology controversies cast shadow over Ligue 1
- 01/16 14:39 Suppressing a sneeze can be dangerous, doctors warn
- 01/16 14:33 Naked Cowboy bravely sings of love for Trump in Mexico
- 01/16 14:30 Abducted Chibok girls say 'we won't return'-- Boko Haram video
- 01/16 14:26 Le smartphone? France has another term in mind
- 01/16 14:16 US auto industry jobs down under Trump
- 01/15 11:19 Aches, pains and illness ahead of Australian Open
- 01/15 11:11 Strike disrupts Golf Channel coverage of Sony Open
- 01/15 11:08 Ukraine to launch its first solar plant at Chernobyl
- 01/15 11:03 London store Harrods to remove Diana statue
- 01/15 10:55 'How much do you earn?' Germany takes on gender pay gap
- 01/15 10:51 'Feminist' Deneuve apologises to sex assault victims
- 01/12 12:01 Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations
- 01/12 11:56 Pirate attacks at two-decade low-- maritime watchdog
- 01/12 11:52 Spain surpassed US as tourism destination in 2017-- Rajoy
- 01/12 11:46 First women-only car showroom opens in Saudi
- 01/12 11:33 Race to save Indonesian croc stricken by tyre necklace
- 01/12 11:12 Deep, buried glaciers spotted on Mars
- 01/11 12:06 China snorts at pigs aping donkey burgers
- 01/11 12:02 8 in 10 French people believe a conspiracy theory-- survey
- 01/11 11:50 Nepali woman suffocates in 'menstruation hut'
- 01/11 11:45 Uproar in Hollywood over Williams-Wahlberg pay gap
- 01/11 11:41 UK army seeks recruits by offering emotional support
- 01/11 11:38 'Revenge porn'-- Facebook to compensate N. Irish teen
- 01/10 14:19 Midnight vows after historic Australia gay marriage reforms
- 01/10 12:49 Bats' brains boil in Australia heatwave
- 01/10 12:44 Intel chief says chip flaw damage contained by industry
- 01/10 12:38 Conjoined Gaza twins separated in 'successful' Saudi op
- 01/10 12:34 Queen complains about 'horrible' coronation carriage
- 01/10 12:31 SpaceX says rocket worked fine as spy satellite reported lost