Pirate attacks at two-decade low-- maritime watchdog
Pirate attacks worldwide fell to their lowest level in over two decades last year, the International Maritime Bureau said, but more than doubled in the Philippines while African trouble spots remained dangerous.
A total of 180 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships were recorded last year, the lowest number since 1995 and down from 191 in 2016, the bureau said in its annual report.
Some countries such as Indonesia, the world's biggest archipelago nation, saw a drop in incidents, with 43 attacks in its waters last year, down more than half in the past two years.
However a handful of countries witnessed a steady climb in attacks.
Twenty-two incidents were recorded in the Philippines, a jump from 10 in 2016, with most of them low-level attacks on vessels anchored at Manila and Batangas, south of the capital, the country's two busiest ports.
There were also kidnappings of crew in the southern Philippines, the bureau said. Islamic militants have been increasingly targeting seafarers in the strife-torn region, abducting them and demanding ransoms for their release.
The number of attacks in Bangladesh jumped three-fold to 11 in 2017, with most in Chittagong, the country's busiest port.
The Gulf of Guinea off the west coast of Africa remained an attack hotspot in 2017. Out of 16 incidents of vessels being fired on reported worldwide last year, seven occurred in the gulf.
There were 10 incidents of kidnapping involving 65 crew members in or around waters off Nigeria, which lies next to the Gulf of Guinea, according to the Kuala Lumpur-based IMB's report, which was released Wednesday.
Waters off Somalia remained dangerous, with nine incidents recorded last year, up from two in 2016.
A dramatic attack on a container ship far off the Somali coast saw pirates firing rockets at the vessel after a failed attempt to board it.
This dramatic incident... demonstrates that Somali pirates retain the capability and intent to launch attacks against merchant vessels hundreds of miles from their coastline, said IMB director Pottengal Mukundan.
(2018/01/12 11:56)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/19 11:15 Norway aims for all short-haul flights 100% electric by 2040
- 01/19 11:12 'Fire and Fury' to get TV adaptation-- reports
- 01/19 11:09 Violent storms bring travel chaos to the Netherlands
- 01/19 11:06 Last three years hottest on record-- UN
- 01/19 11:03 Woody Allen hits back at daughter molestation claims
- 01/19 10:57 Giant pandas arrive in Finland in Chinese charm offensive
- 01/18 14:54 S. Korea's 'kimchi deficit' hits record high
- 01/18 14:52 Famed US artist's sculpture destroyed in S. Korea
- 01/18 14:48 Republican senator slams Trump for Stalin-like attacks on media
- 01/18 14:44 Yabba dabba doo! Malaysian sultan gets Flintstones car
- 01/18 14:38 Daughter Dylan says telling 'truth' about Woody Allen
- 01/18 14:32 Trump reveals winners of controversial 'Fake News Awards'
- 01/17 14:16 US state of New Jersey outlaws drunk droning
- 01/17 12:58 EU sets 2030 target for recyclable plastic packaging
- 01/17 12:52 Federer urges players not to act like 'robots' with the media
- 01/17 12:44 Grunter Sabalenka feels Aussie wrath
- 01/17 12:39 S. Korean soldiers' wages almost doubled
- 01/17 12:33 Cranberries singer was preparing new version of 'Zombie'
- 01/16 14:46 Ref, technology controversies cast shadow over Ligue 1
- 01/16 14:39 Suppressing a sneeze can be dangerous, doctors warn
- 01/16 14:33 Naked Cowboy bravely sings of love for Trump in Mexico
- 01/16 14:30 Abducted Chibok girls say 'we won't return'-- Boko Haram video
- 01/16 14:26 Le smartphone? France has another term in mind
- 01/16 14:16 US auto industry jobs down under Trump
- 01/15 11:19 Aches, pains and illness ahead of Australian Open
- 01/15 11:11 Strike disrupts Golf Channel coverage of Sony Open
- 01/15 11:08 Ukraine to launch its first solar plant at Chernobyl
- 01/15 11:03 London store Harrods to remove Diana statue
- 01/15 10:55 'How much do you earn?' Germany takes on gender pay gap
- 01/15 10:51 'Feminist' Deneuve apologises to sex assault victims
- 01/12 12:01 Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations
- 01/12 11:56 Pirate attacks at two-decade low-- maritime watchdog
- 01/12 11:52 Spain surpassed US as tourism destination in 2017-- Rajoy
- 01/12 11:46 First women-only car showroom opens in Saudi
- 01/12 11:33 Race to save Indonesian croc stricken by tyre necklace
- 01/12 11:12 Deep, buried glaciers spotted on Mars
- 01/11 12:06 China snorts at pigs aping donkey burgers
- 01/11 12:02 8 in 10 French people believe a conspiracy theory-- survey
- 01/11 11:50 Nepali woman suffocates in 'menstruation hut'
- 01/11 11:45 Uproar in Hollywood over Williams-Wahlberg pay gap
- 01/11 11:41 UK army seeks recruits by offering emotional support
- 01/11 11:38 'Revenge porn'-- Facebook to compensate N. Irish teen
- 01/10 14:19 Midnight vows after historic Australia gay marriage reforms
- 01/10 12:49 Bats' brains boil in Australia heatwave
- 01/10 12:44 Intel chief says chip flaw damage contained by industry
- 01/10 12:38 Conjoined Gaza twins separated in 'successful' Saudi op
- 01/10 12:34 Queen complains about 'horrible' coronation carriage
- 01/10 12:31 SpaceX says rocket worked fine as spy satellite reported lost