Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations
Queen Elizabeth II's luxury lingerie maker Rigby & Peller has lost its royal warrant, an official said Thursday, after its former owner published a book revealing details on of royal bra fittings.
June Kenton, 82, who is still on the board of the company, published her memoirs entitled Storm in a D-Cup last year but said there was nothing in it that should have caused offence to the royals.
Kenton described her first bra-fitting session with a half-dressed Queen Elizabeth in the 1980s and recounted a personal anecdote told by the monarch's mother, the Queen Mother, British media reported.
It also said that Princess Diana would come in for bra fittings and take away posters of models in lingerie for her teenage sons, William and Harry.
I can confirm the warrant for Rigby & Peller is cancelled but I can't go into the details why, a spokesman for the Royal Warrant Holders Association told AFP.
A royal warrant can be cancelled at any time for various reasons, the spokesman said, explaining that royal warrants are also reviewed every five years.
Royal warrants are the official mark given to suppliers to Britain's royal family and often offer a major commercial boost for companies.
Only around 800 companies have the right to use royal coats of arms on their products and business cards.
These include Fulton, the queen's favourite umbrella maker, leather goods maker Ettinger and tailor Henry Poole.
Luxury department store Harrods lost its royal warrant in 2000, after its owner Mohamed al Fayed accused the royals of masterminding the 1997 car crash that killed Diana and his son Dodi.
Rigby & Peller said in a statement it was deeply saddened by the decision but declined to comment further out of respect for her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Warrant Holders Association.
However, the company will continue to provide an exemplary and discreet service to its clients, it said.
Kenton said she had been told by Buckingham Palace six months ago that they didn't like the book and she should no longer have a royal warrant.
I'm very sad Buckingham Palace took exception to the story -- it's a kind and gentle story about what went on in my life, she said.
I think it's unbelievable. It's just upsetting at the end of my life but what can I do. I can't fight with Buckingham Palace and I wouldn't want to, she said.
(2018/01/12 12:01)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 01/19 11:15 Norway aims for all short-haul flights 100% electric by 2040
- 01/19 11:12 'Fire and Fury' to get TV adaptation-- reports
- 01/19 11:09 Violent storms bring travel chaos to the Netherlands
- 01/19 11:06 Last three years hottest on record-- UN
- 01/19 11:03 Woody Allen hits back at daughter molestation claims
- 01/19 10:57 Giant pandas arrive in Finland in Chinese charm offensive
- 01/18 14:54 S. Korea's 'kimchi deficit' hits record high
- 01/18 14:52 Famed US artist's sculpture destroyed in S. Korea
- 01/18 14:48 Republican senator slams Trump for Stalin-like attacks on media
- 01/18 14:44 Yabba dabba doo! Malaysian sultan gets Flintstones car
- 01/18 14:38 Daughter Dylan says telling 'truth' about Woody Allen
- 01/18 14:32 Trump reveals winners of controversial 'Fake News Awards'
- 01/17 14:16 US state of New Jersey outlaws drunk droning
- 01/17 12:58 EU sets 2030 target for recyclable plastic packaging
- 01/17 12:52 Federer urges players not to act like 'robots' with the media
- 01/17 12:44 Grunter Sabalenka feels Aussie wrath
- 01/17 12:39 S. Korean soldiers' wages almost doubled
- 01/17 12:33 Cranberries singer was preparing new version of 'Zombie'
- 01/16 14:46 Ref, technology controversies cast shadow over Ligue 1
- 01/16 14:39 Suppressing a sneeze can be dangerous, doctors warn
- 01/16 14:33 Naked Cowboy bravely sings of love for Trump in Mexico
- 01/16 14:30 Abducted Chibok girls say 'we won't return'-- Boko Haram video
- 01/16 14:26 Le smartphone? France has another term in mind
- 01/16 14:16 US auto industry jobs down under Trump
- 01/15 11:19 Aches, pains and illness ahead of Australian Open
- 01/15 11:11 Strike disrupts Golf Channel coverage of Sony Open
- 01/15 11:08 Ukraine to launch its first solar plant at Chernobyl
- 01/15 11:03 London store Harrods to remove Diana statue
- 01/15 10:55 'How much do you earn?' Germany takes on gender pay gap
- 01/15 10:51 'Feminist' Deneuve apologises to sex assault victims
- 01/12 12:01 Queen's bra-fitter stripped of royal warrant after revelations
- 01/12 11:56 Pirate attacks at two-decade low-- maritime watchdog
- 01/12 11:52 Spain surpassed US as tourism destination in 2017-- Rajoy
- 01/12 11:46 First women-only car showroom opens in Saudi
- 01/12 11:33 Race to save Indonesian croc stricken by tyre necklace
- 01/12 11:12 Deep, buried glaciers spotted on Mars
- 01/11 12:06 China snorts at pigs aping donkey burgers
- 01/11 12:02 8 in 10 French people believe a conspiracy theory-- survey
- 01/11 11:50 Nepali woman suffocates in 'menstruation hut'
- 01/11 11:45 Uproar in Hollywood over Williams-Wahlberg pay gap
- 01/11 11:41 UK army seeks recruits by offering emotional support
- 01/11 11:38 'Revenge porn'-- Facebook to compensate N. Irish teen
- 01/10 14:19 Midnight vows after historic Australia gay marriage reforms
- 01/10 12:49 Bats' brains boil in Australia heatwave
- 01/10 12:44 Intel chief says chip flaw damage contained by industry
- 01/10 12:38 Conjoined Gaza twins separated in 'successful' Saudi op
- 01/10 12:34 Queen complains about 'horrible' coronation carriage
- 01/10 12:31 SpaceX says rocket worked fine as spy satellite reported lost