Indian doctors suspended after severed leg used as pillow
Indian authorities have suspended two doctors and launched an investigation after a patient's severed leg was used as a pillow to prop up his head, a hospital official said Sunday.
Administrators at the government-run hospital in Uttar Pradesh state vowed strict action after images emerged showing the patient on a stretcher with the amputated limb being used as a headrest.
We have set up a four-member committee to find out who put the severed leg under the patient's head, said Sadhna Kaushik, principal of the Maharani Laxmibai Medical College and Hospital in Jhansi, told AFP.
Strict action will be taken if our staff is found at fault.
Two doctors have been suspended pending investigation, she added.
The man, identified as 28-year-old Ghanshyam, was seriously injured in a bus accident.
His relatives told the local NDTV news network that hospital staff ignored their requests that Ghanshyam, who goes by one name, be given a pillow.
When we reached the hospital, we saw his leg being used as a headrest, Janaki Prasad, a relative, told NDTV.
I repeatedly asked the doctors to intervene but they refused, Prasad added, saying Ghanshyam's relatives eventually bought a pillow from a local market.
Kaushik said the patient was given immediate medical attention and one of his relatives placed the leg under his head, the Press Trust of India reported.
The doctor looked for something to raise his head. The patient's attendant used the leg, she told PTI.
India's state-run hospitals are often ill-equipped, severely underfunded and stretched to breaking point. Just a handful of specialists are available to treat millions.
Uttar Pradesh, which is home to 200 million people, is one of India's poorest states, and long waits are common for even minor treatments.
Medical negligence is not uncommon either.
Last year, dozens of children died in a single week at a government hospital in Uttar Pradesh that suffered oxygen shortages. And an unlicensed doctor was arrested last month for allegedly infecting at least 46 people with HIV by re-using a syringe.
(2018/03/12 11:04)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 11:56 Big game and big guns-- Trump's 'Wildlife Conservation Council'
- 03/20 11:52 Putin wins another term but what happens in 2024?
- 03/20 11:47 Pin-prick blood test detects deadly sepsis-- study
- 03/20 11:42 Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- 03/20 11:40 Uber self-driving car kills Arizona pedestrian
- 03/20 11:38 Trump to champion death penalty for drug dealers
- 03/19 13:19 FIFA president-- Russia World Cup will not be a 'war'
- 03/19 13:16 US warns travelers of deadly yellow fever in Brazil
- 03/19 13:13 Dali remains finally re-buried after paternity test
- 03/19 13:11 British inner-city teacher named world's best, wins $1 million prize
- 03/19 13:04 Baby Donald Trump causes a stir in Afghanistan
- 03/19 13:00 Tonnes of garbage cleaned up from Galapagos coast
- 03/16 10:49 Masters champion Garcia names daughter after hole at Augusta
- 03/16 10:42 Cat's incredible! Besiktas charged after bizarre Champions League hold-up
- 03/16 10:38 'Uncle Hawking' draws nearly half-billion clicks from mourning Chinese
- 03/16 10:34 Spotted marsupial returned to mainland Australia after half century
- 03/16 10:24 Rihanna hits Snapchat over beating ad, sending shares tumbling
- 03/16 10:19 Canada to boost nuclear power to help meet climate target
- 03/15 10:35 Philippines seizes hundreds of smuggled animals
- 03/15 10:33 Warming could threaten half of species in 33 key areas-- report
- 03/15 10:29 Ancient giant shark tooth goes missing in Australia
- 03/15 10:27 Toys 'R' Us to shut or sell all US stores-- reports
- 03/15 10:25 Madonna to direct film on Sierra Leone dancer
- 03/15 10:22 Finland is world's happiest country, Burundi least content-- UN
- 03/14 16:21 Ice bridge in Argentine glacier collapses, no witnesses
- 03/14 16:15 Mostly fun, sometimes weird-- 'BBC Dad' one year after video
- 03/14 16:05 Xi's life mandate seals march of the strongmen
- 03/14 16:00 Krill could prove secret weapon in ocean plastics battle
- 03/14 15:55 China 'winning' war on smog, helping life expectancy-- study
- 03/14 15:48 Healthcare in US costs 2x as much as other rich nations
- 03/13 14:41 Myanmar events 'bear hallmarks of genocide'-- UN expert
- 03/13 14:36 Pre-election polls not becoming less reliable-- study
- 03/13 14:32 Struggling Southampton sack manager Pellegrino
- 03/13 14:28 Manchester United's Carrick to retire at end of the season
- 03/13 14:21 Space bases could preserve civilization in World War III-- Elon Musk
- 03/13 14:16 Met Opera sacks legendary conductor Levine after abuse probe
- 03/12 11:56 Sharapova splits with Dutch tennis coach
- 03/12 11:27 Sumatran tiger kills Indonesian man
- 03/12 11:21 Pitch invasions add to beaten Hammers' woes
- 03/12 11:08 Woman to head Canada's mounted police
- 03/12 11:04 Indian doctors suspended after severed leg used as pillow
- 03/12 10:59 'Black Panther' tops 'Wrinkle' as Disney dominates at the box office