Sumatran tiger kills Indonesian man
A Indonesian man has been mauled to death by a Sumatran tiger in a remote village, authorities said Sunday, the second deadly attack this year.
Yusri Effendi, 34, was found with fatal wounds to his neck by workmates and local villagers in Riau province on Sumatra island on Saturday evening, the local conservation agency said.
The victim was working on a building to lure the edible-nest swiftlet in Tanjung Simpang village when the tiger began lurking around the construction site.
Several hours after first seeing the big cat, Effendi and his three workmates -- thinking the coast was clear -- made a dash for safety, only to come face-to-face with the animal a short distance away.
Effendi's colleagues, who all survived the incident, told authorities they scattered to evade the animal, but the victim was not so lucky.
A search party found the victim unconscious at the edge of a river a short time later, authorities said.
[When] they opened his clothes they saw a gaping wound on his neck, the Riau conservation agency said in a statement.
Human-animal conflicts are common across the vast Indonesian archipelago, especially in areas where the clearing of rainforest to make way for palm oil plantations is destroying animals' habitats and bringing them into closer contact with people.
Earlier this month, locals from Hatupangan village in North Sumatra disemboweled a Sumatran tiger and then hung the big cat from a ceiling after it attacked a pair of villagers.
Sumatran tigers are considered critically endangered by protection group the International Union for Conservation of Nature, with 400 to 500 remaining in the wild.
(2018/03/12 11:27)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 11:56 Big game and big guns-- Trump's 'Wildlife Conservation Council'
- 03/20 11:52 Putin wins another term but what happens in 2024?
- 03/20 11:47 Pin-prick blood test detects deadly sepsis-- study
- 03/20 11:42 Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- 03/20 11:40 Uber self-driving car kills Arizona pedestrian
- 03/20 11:38 Trump to champion death penalty for drug dealers
- 03/19 13:19 FIFA president-- Russia World Cup will not be a 'war'
- 03/19 13:16 US warns travelers of deadly yellow fever in Brazil
- 03/19 13:13 Dali remains finally re-buried after paternity test
- 03/19 13:11 British inner-city teacher named world's best, wins $1 million prize
- 03/19 13:04 Baby Donald Trump causes a stir in Afghanistan
- 03/19 13:00 Tonnes of garbage cleaned up from Galapagos coast
- 03/16 10:49 Masters champion Garcia names daughter after hole at Augusta
- 03/16 10:42 Cat's incredible! Besiktas charged after bizarre Champions League hold-up
- 03/16 10:38 'Uncle Hawking' draws nearly half-billion clicks from mourning Chinese
- 03/16 10:34 Spotted marsupial returned to mainland Australia after half century
- 03/16 10:24 Rihanna hits Snapchat over beating ad, sending shares tumbling
- 03/16 10:19 Canada to boost nuclear power to help meet climate target
- 03/15 10:35 Philippines seizes hundreds of smuggled animals
- 03/15 10:33 Warming could threaten half of species in 33 key areas-- report
- 03/15 10:29 Ancient giant shark tooth goes missing in Australia
- 03/15 10:27 Toys 'R' Us to shut or sell all US stores-- reports
- 03/15 10:25 Madonna to direct film on Sierra Leone dancer
- 03/15 10:22 Finland is world's happiest country, Burundi least content-- UN
- 03/14 16:21 Ice bridge in Argentine glacier collapses, no witnesses
- 03/14 16:15 Mostly fun, sometimes weird-- 'BBC Dad' one year after video
- 03/14 16:05 Xi's life mandate seals march of the strongmen
- 03/14 16:00 Krill could prove secret weapon in ocean plastics battle
- 03/14 15:55 China 'winning' war on smog, helping life expectancy-- study
- 03/14 15:48 Healthcare in US costs 2x as much as other rich nations
- 03/13 14:41 Myanmar events 'bear hallmarks of genocide'-- UN expert
- 03/13 14:36 Pre-election polls not becoming less reliable-- study
- 03/13 14:32 Struggling Southampton sack manager Pellegrino
- 03/13 14:28 Manchester United's Carrick to retire at end of the season
- 03/13 14:21 Space bases could preserve civilization in World War III-- Elon Musk
- 03/13 14:16 Met Opera sacks legendary conductor Levine after abuse probe
- 03/12 11:56 Sharapova splits with Dutch tennis coach
- 03/12 11:27 Sumatran tiger kills Indonesian man
- 03/12 11:21 Pitch invasions add to beaten Hammers' woes
- 03/12 11:08 Woman to head Canada's mounted police
- 03/12 11:04 Indian doctors suspended after severed leg used as pillow
- 03/12 10:59 'Black Panther' tops 'Wrinkle' as Disney dominates at the box office