Sharapova splits with Dutch tennis coach
Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova has decided to split with her tennis coach Sven Groeneveld following her shock first round exit from the WTA Indian Wells tournament.
After four years of working together, the decision to go their separate ways was a mutual one, Sharapova said on Friday.
After four successful and challenging years of collaboration together, I would like to thank Sven for his incredible loyalty, work ethic and most importantly the friendship that we have formed that will go beyond this working partnership, Sharapova said in a news release.
Although we have mutually agreed to part ways during this time, I have been incredibly fortunate to have a team leader like him in my corner.
Former world number one Sharapova, twice a winner in the California desert, suffered a stunning defeat on Wednesday to Japanese No. 1 Naomi Osaka, losing in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Sharapova was one of the tournament's major attractions after missing the last two.
Maria has been one of the most hardworking and professional players I have ever worked with. Her strength and fighting spirit will continue to be a force to reckon with and I have the deepest respect for her as a player and person, said Groeneveld of the Netherlands.
For Sharapova the loss to the 20-year-old Osaka was another painful reminder that it's back to the drawing board for the Russian as she makes her way back from a 15-month drugs ban.
It was her second first round loss in a row after she withdrew from the Dubai tournament with a forearm injury.
In her only Grand Slam appearance this year, Sharapova reached the third round of the Australian Open before losing to Angelique Kerber.
(2018/03/12 11:56)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 03/20 11:56 Big game and big guns-- Trump's 'Wildlife Conservation Council'
- 03/20 11:52 Putin wins another term but what happens in 2024?
- 03/20 11:47 Pin-prick blood test detects deadly sepsis-- study
- 03/20 11:42 Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- 03/20 11:40 Uber self-driving car kills Arizona pedestrian
- 03/20 11:38 Trump to champion death penalty for drug dealers
- 03/19 13:19 FIFA president-- Russia World Cup will not be a 'war'
- 03/19 13:16 US warns travelers of deadly yellow fever in Brazil
- 03/19 13:13 Dali remains finally re-buried after paternity test
- 03/19 13:11 British inner-city teacher named world's best, wins $1 million prize
- 03/19 13:04 Baby Donald Trump causes a stir in Afghanistan
- 03/19 13:00 Tonnes of garbage cleaned up from Galapagos coast
- 03/16 10:49 Masters champion Garcia names daughter after hole at Augusta
- 03/16 10:42 Cat's incredible! Besiktas charged after bizarre Champions League hold-up
- 03/16 10:38 'Uncle Hawking' draws nearly half-billion clicks from mourning Chinese
- 03/16 10:34 Spotted marsupial returned to mainland Australia after half century
- 03/16 10:24 Rihanna hits Snapchat over beating ad, sending shares tumbling
- 03/16 10:19 Canada to boost nuclear power to help meet climate target
- 03/15 10:35 Philippines seizes hundreds of smuggled animals
- 03/15 10:33 Warming could threaten half of species in 33 key areas-- report
- 03/15 10:29 Ancient giant shark tooth goes missing in Australia
- 03/15 10:27 Toys 'R' Us to shut or sell all US stores-- reports
- 03/15 10:25 Madonna to direct film on Sierra Leone dancer
- 03/15 10:22 Finland is world's happiest country, Burundi least content-- UN
- 03/14 16:21 Ice bridge in Argentine glacier collapses, no witnesses
- 03/14 16:15 Mostly fun, sometimes weird-- 'BBC Dad' one year after video
- 03/14 16:05 Xi's life mandate seals march of the strongmen
- 03/14 16:00 Krill could prove secret weapon in ocean plastics battle
- 03/14 15:55 China 'winning' war on smog, helping life expectancy-- study
- 03/14 15:48 Healthcare in US costs 2x as much as other rich nations
- 03/13 14:41 Myanmar events 'bear hallmarks of genocide'-- UN expert
- 03/13 14:36 Pre-election polls not becoming less reliable-- study
- 03/13 14:32 Struggling Southampton sack manager Pellegrino
- 03/13 14:28 Manchester United's Carrick to retire at end of the season
- 03/13 14:21 Space bases could preserve civilization in World War III-- Elon Musk
- 03/13 14:16 Met Opera sacks legendary conductor Levine after abuse probe
- 03/12 11:56 Sharapova splits with Dutch tennis coach
- 03/12 11:27 Sumatran tiger kills Indonesian man
- 03/12 11:21 Pitch invasions add to beaten Hammers' woes
- 03/12 11:08 Woman to head Canada's mounted police
- 03/12 11:04 Indian doctors suspended after severed leg used as pillow
- 03/12 10:59 'Black Panther' tops 'Wrinkle' as Disney dominates at the box office