Mariah Carey reveals bipolar disorder
Pop superstar Mariah Carey has revealed that she suffers from bipolar disorder and has entered treatment.
The singer, whose sweeping five-octave vocal range helped make her one of the most successful artists of the 1990s, said she decided to go public to help remove stigma over the mental illness.
Until recently I lived in denial and isolation and in constant fear someone would expose me, she told People in the celebrity magazine's latest cover story.
Carey, who is in her late 40s, said she long presumed that she had a sleeping problem but that her insomnia and irritability turned out to be the lows of bipolar disorder, commonly known as manic depression.
I would feel so lonely and sad -- even guilty that I wasn't doing what I needed to be doing for my career, she said.
Bipolar disorder does not have to define you and I refuse to allow it to define me or control me, she told the magazine.
Carey said she has Bipolar II disorder, which is characterized by less severe episodes than Bipolar I.
Around 2.8 percent of US adults experience bipolar disorder in a given year, according to the federal National Institute of Mental Health.
Carey has long faced unflattering headlines over perceived diva-like behavior.
In 2001, she retreated in what was described as a physical and mental breakdown amid the flop of Glitter, her first film in which she starred in a leading role.
The Long Island-born singer said she started taking medicine and undergoing therapy amid a new rough patch in her life.
In the course of a few years Carey has divorced from actor Nick Cannon, with whom she has twin children, and got engaged and then separated from Australian billionaire James Packer.
While still packing in crowds, Carey has also not matched the phenomenal success of her early career in which she scored a string of number-one hits including Hero, Emotions and One Sweet Day.
(2018/04/13 12:21)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/20 13:28 Bowie's New York subway station turns into museum to him
- 04/20 12:21 Researchers find 'catastrophic' coral die-off on Great Barrier Reef
- 04/20 12:17 At 96, Mexican woman fulfills dream-- going to high school
- 04/20 12:13 YouTube video reunites Indian man with family after 40 years
- 04/20 12:10 Baby Duckworth helps US senator mom vote in historic first
- 04/20 12:07 Bolshoi prima ballerina refused US visa
- 04/19 12:39 More fuel, biometric gloves for F1 next season
- 04/19 12:34 'The man with three faces' has second transplant
- 04/19 12:27 Selling off the Ritz, one monogrammed slipper at a time
- 04/19 12:23 Nearly extinct Javan green magpies thrive at Prague zoo
- 04/19 12:19 Parental diet before conception affects child's health
- 04/19 12:12 Female stars dominate Cannes festival jury
- 04/18 12:36 Arizona nurse celebrates after shock second at Boston Marathon
- 04/18 12:31 Neymar says out of action until at least May 17?
- 04/18 12:27 Chicago restaurant staff get $2,000 tip
- 04/18 12:24 Researchers accidentally engineer plastic-eating enzyme
- 04/18 12:19 Philippines to deploy riot police for Boracay tourist closure
- 04/18 12:14 Iceland resumes fin whale hunt after two-year pause
- 04/17 13:08 In rap milestone, Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer for music
- 04/17 12:34 NFL bans 10 helmet models after 2018, including Brady's
- 04/17 12:26 Paris Opera dancers complain of bullying and harassment
- 04/17 12:21 'Poker face' stripped away by new-age tech
- 04/17 12:15 Are we alone? NASA's new planet hunter aims to find out
- 04/17 12:12 Iran bans foreign social media networks in schools
- 04/16 12:34 Trainer Roach 'hurt' by Pacquiao snub after split
- 04/16 12:28 Dead rooster warning for Bari coach Grosso
- 04/16 12:25 Organisers slam photo-snapping fans after marathon collapse
- 04/16 12:19 Faithful stork couple keep long-distance love alive
- 04/16 12:16 No bombs, just blooms at North Korean flower show
- 04/16 12:10 World shipping industry agrees to halve carbon emissions by 2050
- 04/13 12:27 Russia 'bought silence' over biathlon doping - report
- 04/13 12:21 Mariah Carey reveals bipolar disorder
- 04/13 12:18 Inuka, first polar bear born in the tropics, may be put down
- 04/13 12:14 Indonesia's Aceh to stop whipping criminals in public-- officials
- 04/13 12:12 Violent winds topple stone pillars at Taj Mahal complex
- 04/13 12:05 Popularity of tigers, lions, bears could be their downfall-- study