Trainer Roach 'hurt' by Pacquiao snub after split
Filipino boxing star Manny Pacquiao has split with long-time trainer Freddie Roach, the veteran ring guru confirmed on Friday.
In a brief statement, Roach said his 15-year association with former world champion Pacquiao had been terminated ahead of the 39-year-old fighter's upcoming world title fight with Lucas Matthyse.
Roach said he wished Pacquiao well for the future but admitted he had been hurt after learning of the Filipino's decision to axe him indirectly.
Manny and I had a great run for 15 years -- longer than most marriages and certainly a rarity for boxing, Roach said. I wouldn't trade any of it. Inside the boxing ring and the political ring, I wish Manny nothing but the best.
I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't hurt that he didn't contact me personally about his decision, but the great times we enjoyed together far outweigh that.
Roach was an ever-present in Pacquiao's corner during his rise to the pinnacle of his sport, helping mould the fighter into one of the best boxers in history.
Pacquiao is to fight Matthyse for the Argentine's WBA welterweight belt in Kuala Lumpur on July 15.
Pacquiao has not fought in the ring since being defeated on points by Australia's Jeff Horn in Brisbane in July, a loss that cost the Filipino star his WBO crown.
Matthysse, who has 39 wins including 36 by knockout against four defeats, won the vacant WBA belt after beating Thailand's Teerachai Sithmorseng in January.
(2018/04/16 12:34)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 04/20 13:28 Bowie's New York subway station turns into museum to him
- 04/20 12:21 Researchers find 'catastrophic' coral die-off on Great Barrier Reef
- 04/20 12:17 At 96, Mexican woman fulfills dream-- going to high school
- 04/20 12:13 YouTube video reunites Indian man with family after 40 years
- 04/20 12:10 Baby Duckworth helps US senator mom vote in historic first
- 04/20 12:07 Bolshoi prima ballerina refused US visa
- 04/19 12:39 More fuel, biometric gloves for F1 next season
- 04/19 12:34 'The man with three faces' has second transplant
- 04/19 12:27 Selling off the Ritz, one monogrammed slipper at a time
- 04/19 12:23 Nearly extinct Javan green magpies thrive at Prague zoo
- 04/19 12:19 Parental diet before conception affects child's health
- 04/19 12:12 Female stars dominate Cannes festival jury
- 04/18 12:36 Arizona nurse celebrates after shock second at Boston Marathon
- 04/18 12:31 Neymar says out of action until at least May 17?
- 04/18 12:27 Chicago restaurant staff get $2,000 tip
- 04/18 12:24 Researchers accidentally engineer plastic-eating enzyme
- 04/18 12:19 Philippines to deploy riot police for Boracay tourist closure
- 04/18 12:14 Iceland resumes fin whale hunt after two-year pause
- 04/17 13:08 In rap milestone, Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer for music
- 04/17 12:34 NFL bans 10 helmet models after 2018, including Brady's
- 04/17 12:26 Paris Opera dancers complain of bullying and harassment
- 04/17 12:21 'Poker face' stripped away by new-age tech
- 04/17 12:15 Are we alone? NASA's new planet hunter aims to find out
- 04/17 12:12 Iran bans foreign social media networks in schools
- 04/16 12:34 Trainer Roach 'hurt' by Pacquiao snub after split
- 04/16 12:28 Dead rooster warning for Bari coach Grosso
- 04/16 12:25 Organisers slam photo-snapping fans after marathon collapse
- 04/16 12:19 Faithful stork couple keep long-distance love alive
- 04/16 12:16 No bombs, just blooms at North Korean flower show
- 04/16 12:10 World shipping industry agrees to halve carbon emissions by 2050
- 04/13 12:27 Russia 'bought silence' over biathlon doping - report
- 04/13 12:21 Mariah Carey reveals bipolar disorder
- 04/13 12:18 Inuka, first polar bear born in the tropics, may be put down
- 04/13 12:14 Indonesia's Aceh to stop whipping criminals in public-- officials
- 04/13 12:12 Violent winds topple stone pillars at Taj Mahal complex
- 04/13 12:05 Popularity of tigers, lions, bears could be their downfall-- study