Robbie Williams to perform at World Cup opening ceremony
British pop star Robbie Williams will perform at the World Cup opening ceremony in Moscow on Thursday, the world football governing body FIFA and the singer's representatives said.
The award-winning singer formerly in the band Take That, who is best known for his hit single Angels, will sing alongside Russian soprano Aida Garifullina shortly before Russia and Saudi Arabia kick off the World Cup at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium.
The 44-year-old said in a statement on Monday that performing at the World Cup was a boyhood dream and it would be an unforgettable show.
His song Party Like a Russian two years ago sparked controversy in Russia for promoting stereotypes about the country.
It included lyrics about a leader who alleviates the cash from a whole entire nation, takes loose change and builds his own space station.
Williams told fans on Twitter at the time that the song is definitely not about (Russian President Vladimir) Putin.
Last year, he offered to represent Russia in the Eurovision Song Contest in a jokey interview on Russian state-controlled Channel One television.
Williams told Andrei Malakhov, the host of the show Pust Govoryat or Let Them Talk, in comments dubbed into Russian: I'd like to represent Russia at Eurovision. Come on Russia, we can win!
Williams grinned as he made the offer, adding however that he could see his manager has already got his head in his hands.
Former Brazil striker Ronaldo -- known as O Fenomeno -- will also be taking part in the opening ceremony, FIFA said.
(2018/06/12 12:19)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/19 13:30 Bitcoin could 'bring internet to a halt'-- BIS
- 06/19 13:27 Biotech billionaire takes over at Los Angeles Times, new editor named
- 06/19 13:22 Artist Christo launches 7,500 floating barrels in London
- 06/19 13:18 Swiss fans book hotel in wrong Russian Rostov
- 06/19 13:14 Video gaming addictive like crack-- WHO
- 06/19 13:10 Number of civil conflicts doubles since 2001-- ICRC
- 06/18 12:37 Last of the Jayer wine goes on sale in Geneva
- 06/18 12:32 Sadio Mane-- shy youngster to global star
- 06/18 12:28 Indonesian killed by his mother's falling funeral coffin
- 06/18 12:27 Dutch may soon pay workers using pedal-power
- 06/18 12:25 Le Mans keeps focus on Spaniards as Nadal acts as starter
- 06/18 12:21 Indonesian woman swallowed by giant python
- 06/15 12:42 Griezmann staying at Atletico, ends Barca speculation
- 06/15 12:36 People smugglers make billions-- UN report
- 06/15 12:28 Cambodian schools told to stop improvising bells from war-era bombs
- 06/15 12:23 Poland sets new football 'keepy-uppy' world record
- 06/15 12:20 Paris puts final touches to Eiffel Tower anti-terror walls
- 06/15 12:16 'One of saddest days of my life'-- Tearful Lopetegui on Spain sacking
- 06/14 13:19 Bend it like Einstein-- Science and the World Cup
- 06/14 13:12 One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects-- study
- 06/14 13:09 Social media fanning Chicago gang violence-- study
- 06/14 12:20 Flood damage would double without coral reefs-- study
- 06/14 12:15 Raccoon conquers skyscraper; Americans breathe easier
- 06/14 12:09 Apple steps up encrytion to thwart police cracking of iPhones
- 06/13 12:32 TV-less Argentine prisoners go on hunger strike
- 06/13 12:29 Food crisis worsens in Sahel region-- UN aid chief
- 06/13 12:25 'Norman,' when artificial intelligence goes psycho
- 06/13 12:19 Daughter of ski champion Miller drowns in pool tragedy-- officials
- 06/13 12:16 Zidane happy to have his feet up
- 06/13 12:12 Chinese vase found in attic sells for 16.2 million euros
- 06/12 13:03 Pakistanis enchanted by 11-year-old motivational coach
- 06/12 12:53 Poland's Glik cleared for World Cup
- 06/12 12:44 New Tesla software to offer 'full' autonomy, Musk says
- 06/12 12:38 One race, two chequered flags-- Vettel blasts Canadian GP gaffe
- 06/12 12:28 Thai turtle's plastic-filled stomach highlights ocean crisis
- 06/12 12:19 Robbie Williams to perform at World Cup opening ceremony
- 06/11 12:44 Lost John Coltrane album set for release
- 06/11 12:31 'Physically easier to watch Nadal on TV', says beaten Thiem
- 06/11 12:22 Britain's Prince Philip turns 97 in characteristic no-fuss style
- 06/11 12:19 Nurse survives deadly Australia snake bite using training
- 06/11 12:14 18th century Chinese moon flask sells for 4.1 million euros
- 06/11 12:10 Archaeologists find new mass child sacrifice site in Peru