One race, two chequered flags-- Vettel blasts Canadian GP gaffe
Sebastian Vettel revealed Sunday that he was concerned about the dangers of a possible track invasion when the chequered flag was waved prematurely before he won the Canadian Grand Prix.
The flag was waved by model Winnie Harlow who said she was just following instructions, but it meant the result of the race was decided by the positions at the end of lap 68 instead of lap 70.
Vettel said he realised what had happened on the penultimate lap and sent a radio message to try and help avoid confusion.
Fortunately, we had radio and we had the lap counter in the car and my pit board was accurate, said the four-time world champion Ferrari driver.
But if you lose radio and maybe the pit board is not there, then you back off and being in the lead, you hope all the others back off as well.
I was just worried. I told them on the last lap, so people don't jump on the track, waving flags and celebrating, because we are still going at full pace.
I even watched it on the TV, on a trackside screen, and after I saw the flag it said 'final lap' on the graphics so then I was a bit confused.
I told them the race isn't over yet and they said 'no, keep pushing' and I saw some of the marshals were celebrating. They peaked a bit early!
Frenchman Pierre Gasly of Toro Rosso, who finished 11th, said the flag?s early appearance was risky.
He added: I think it is the first time I have taken the chequered flag two times at the same race!
(2018/06/12 12:38)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/19 13:30 Bitcoin could 'bring internet to a halt'-- BIS
- 06/19 13:27 Biotech billionaire takes over at Los Angeles Times, new editor named
- 06/19 13:22 Artist Christo launches 7,500 floating barrels in London
- 06/19 13:18 Swiss fans book hotel in wrong Russian Rostov
- 06/19 13:14 Video gaming addictive like crack-- WHO
- 06/19 13:10 Number of civil conflicts doubles since 2001-- ICRC
- 06/18 12:37 Last of the Jayer wine goes on sale in Geneva
- 06/18 12:32 Sadio Mane-- shy youngster to global star
- 06/18 12:28 Indonesian killed by his mother's falling funeral coffin
- 06/18 12:27 Dutch may soon pay workers using pedal-power
- 06/18 12:25 Le Mans keeps focus on Spaniards as Nadal acts as starter
- 06/18 12:21 Indonesian woman swallowed by giant python
- 06/15 12:42 Griezmann staying at Atletico, ends Barca speculation
- 06/15 12:36 People smugglers make billions-- UN report
- 06/15 12:28 Cambodian schools told to stop improvising bells from war-era bombs
- 06/15 12:23 Poland sets new football 'keepy-uppy' world record
- 06/15 12:20 Paris puts final touches to Eiffel Tower anti-terror walls
- 06/15 12:16 'One of saddest days of my life'-- Tearful Lopetegui on Spain sacking
- 06/14 13:19 Bend it like Einstein-- Science and the World Cup
- 06/14 13:12 One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects-- study
- 06/14 13:09 Social media fanning Chicago gang violence-- study
- 06/14 12:20 Flood damage would double without coral reefs-- study
- 06/14 12:15 Raccoon conquers skyscraper; Americans breathe easier
- 06/14 12:09 Apple steps up encrytion to thwart police cracking of iPhones
- 06/13 12:32 TV-less Argentine prisoners go on hunger strike
- 06/13 12:29 Food crisis worsens in Sahel region-- UN aid chief
- 06/13 12:25 'Norman,' when artificial intelligence goes psycho
- 06/13 12:19 Daughter of ski champion Miller drowns in pool tragedy-- officials
- 06/13 12:16 Zidane happy to have his feet up
- 06/13 12:12 Chinese vase found in attic sells for 16.2 million euros
- 06/12 13:03 Pakistanis enchanted by 11-year-old motivational coach
- 06/12 12:53 Poland's Glik cleared for World Cup
- 06/12 12:44 New Tesla software to offer 'full' autonomy, Musk says
- 06/12 12:38 One race, two chequered flags-- Vettel blasts Canadian GP gaffe
- 06/12 12:28 Thai turtle's plastic-filled stomach highlights ocean crisis
- 06/12 12:19 Robbie Williams to perform at World Cup opening ceremony
- 06/11 12:44 Lost John Coltrane album set for release
- 06/11 12:31 'Physically easier to watch Nadal on TV', says beaten Thiem
- 06/11 12:22 Britain's Prince Philip turns 97 in characteristic no-fuss style
- 06/11 12:19 Nurse survives deadly Australia snake bite using training
- 06/11 12:14 18th century Chinese moon flask sells for 4.1 million euros
- 06/11 12:10 Archaeologists find new mass child sacrifice site in Peru