New Tesla software to offer 'full' autonomy, Musk says
An update to Tesla's Autopilot software coming in August will enable full self-driving features for the automaker's electric cars, chief executive Elon Musk says.
Musk's comments come amid a race by automakers and tech firms to roll out fully autonomous vehicles, but also rising concerns about the safety of robotic systems.
The Tesla founder made the disclosure in a Twitter conversation, responding to a user who complained about issues with Autopilot, which is currently considered semi-autonomous with the requirement that a motorist be at the wheel at all times.
Musk said the updated Version 9 coming in August would help address a number of issues.
To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety. With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features, he said.
Musk offered no details about the system, which could accelerate the effort to put more self-driving cars on the roads in the United States.
Federal safety investigators have been looking into a series of accidents, including at least two datal ones, involving self-driving cars.
Musk has complained about the focus on accidents, arguing that self-driving systems are likely to be far safer than human drivers.
It's super messed up that a Tesla crash resulting in a broken ankle is front page news and the (approximately) 40,000 people who died in US auto accidents alone in past year get almost no coverage, Musk said last month.
The National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary report last week that a Tesla operating on Autopilot sped up before a crash into a freeway barrier in California that killed the driver.
In another fatal accident last year, Tesla's Autopilot failed to detect a truck crossing the road, but investigators pointed out the driver was watching a movie at the time and not paying attention with the semi-autonomous system in operation.
After an Uber self-driving vehicle earlier this year killed a pedestrian in Arizona, investigators said the automatic braking system had been disabled.
(2018/06/12 12:44)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/19 13:30 Bitcoin could 'bring internet to a halt'-- BIS
- 06/19 13:27 Biotech billionaire takes over at Los Angeles Times, new editor named
- 06/19 13:22 Artist Christo launches 7,500 floating barrels in London
- 06/19 13:18 Swiss fans book hotel in wrong Russian Rostov
- 06/19 13:14 Video gaming addictive like crack-- WHO
- 06/19 13:10 Number of civil conflicts doubles since 2001-- ICRC
- 06/18 12:37 Last of the Jayer wine goes on sale in Geneva
- 06/18 12:32 Sadio Mane-- shy youngster to global star
- 06/18 12:28 Indonesian killed by his mother's falling funeral coffin
- 06/18 12:27 Dutch may soon pay workers using pedal-power
- 06/18 12:25 Le Mans keeps focus on Spaniards as Nadal acts as starter
- 06/18 12:21 Indonesian woman swallowed by giant python
- 06/15 12:42 Griezmann staying at Atletico, ends Barca speculation
- 06/15 12:36 People smugglers make billions-- UN report
- 06/15 12:28 Cambodian schools told to stop improvising bells from war-era bombs
- 06/15 12:23 Poland sets new football 'keepy-uppy' world record
- 06/15 12:20 Paris puts final touches to Eiffel Tower anti-terror walls
- 06/15 12:16 'One of saddest days of my life'-- Tearful Lopetegui on Spain sacking
- 06/14 13:19 Bend it like Einstein-- Science and the World Cup
- 06/14 13:12 One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects-- study
- 06/14 13:09 Social media fanning Chicago gang violence-- study
- 06/14 12:20 Flood damage would double without coral reefs-- study
- 06/14 12:15 Raccoon conquers skyscraper; Americans breathe easier
- 06/14 12:09 Apple steps up encrytion to thwart police cracking of iPhones
- 06/13 12:32 TV-less Argentine prisoners go on hunger strike
- 06/13 12:29 Food crisis worsens in Sahel region-- UN aid chief
- 06/13 12:25 'Norman,' when artificial intelligence goes psycho
- 06/13 12:19 Daughter of ski champion Miller drowns in pool tragedy-- officials
- 06/13 12:16 Zidane happy to have his feet up
- 06/13 12:12 Chinese vase found in attic sells for 16.2 million euros
- 06/12 13:03 Pakistanis enchanted by 11-year-old motivational coach
- 06/12 12:53 Poland's Glik cleared for World Cup
- 06/12 12:44 New Tesla software to offer 'full' autonomy, Musk says
- 06/12 12:38 One race, two chequered flags-- Vettel blasts Canadian GP gaffe
- 06/12 12:28 Thai turtle's plastic-filled stomach highlights ocean crisis
- 06/12 12:19 Robbie Williams to perform at World Cup opening ceremony
- 06/11 12:44 Lost John Coltrane album set for release
- 06/11 12:31 'Physically easier to watch Nadal on TV', says beaten Thiem
- 06/11 12:22 Britain's Prince Philip turns 97 in characteristic no-fuss style
- 06/11 12:19 Nurse survives deadly Australia snake bite using training
- 06/11 12:14 18th century Chinese moon flask sells for 4.1 million euros
- 06/11 12:10 Archaeologists find new mass child sacrifice site in Peru