Poland's Glik cleared for World Cup
Poland defender Kamil Glik has been cleared by his club Monaco to play at the World Cup after making an unexpectedly quick recovery from a shoulder ligament injury.
Polish Football Federation (PZPN) president Zbigniew Boniek tweeted a week ago that Glik had no chance of taking part in the 2018 finals in Russia after suffering the injury in training.
Polish team doctor Jacek Jaroszewski had added that Glik would probably need surgery.
But the 30-year-old defender, who is highly rated at set pieces and for his leadership, has been given a green light to rejoin the Poland squad after a full medical in Monaco.
After tests today (Monday) and taking into account a very favourable development, Monaco has authorised Kamil Glik to rejoin the Poland World Cup squad, a Monaco statement said.
Poland captain Robert Lewandowski spoke glowingly of the defensive enforcer last week.
He's the backbone of our defence. He's a key figure in key parts of the game, Lewandowski said.
Before heading to Russia on Wednesday, Poland have a warm-up against Lithuania in Warsaw on Tuesday.
In Russia, Poland open their Group H campaign against Senegal in Moscow on June 19 before facing Colombia and Japan.
(2018/06/12 12:53)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 06/19 13:30 Bitcoin could 'bring internet to a halt'-- BIS
- 06/19 13:27 Biotech billionaire takes over at Los Angeles Times, new editor named
- 06/19 13:22 Artist Christo launches 7,500 floating barrels in London
- 06/19 13:18 Swiss fans book hotel in wrong Russian Rostov
- 06/19 13:14 Video gaming addictive like crack-- WHO
- 06/19 13:10 Number of civil conflicts doubles since 2001-- ICRC
- 06/18 12:37 Last of the Jayer wine goes on sale in Geneva
- 06/18 12:32 Sadio Mane-- shy youngster to global star
- 06/18 12:28 Indonesian killed by his mother's falling funeral coffin
- 06/18 12:27 Dutch may soon pay workers using pedal-power
- 06/18 12:25 Le Mans keeps focus on Spaniards as Nadal acts as starter
- 06/18 12:21 Indonesian woman swallowed by giant python
- 06/15 12:42 Griezmann staying at Atletico, ends Barca speculation
- 06/15 12:36 People smugglers make billions-- UN report
- 06/15 12:28 Cambodian schools told to stop improvising bells from war-era bombs
- 06/15 12:23 Poland sets new football 'keepy-uppy' world record
- 06/15 12:20 Paris puts final touches to Eiffel Tower anti-terror walls
- 06/15 12:16 'One of saddest days of my life'-- Tearful Lopetegui on Spain sacking
- 06/14 13:19 Bend it like Einstein-- Science and the World Cup
- 06/14 13:12 One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects-- study
- 06/14 13:09 Social media fanning Chicago gang violence-- study
- 06/14 12:20 Flood damage would double without coral reefs-- study
- 06/14 12:15 Raccoon conquers skyscraper; Americans breathe easier
- 06/14 12:09 Apple steps up encrytion to thwart police cracking of iPhones
- 06/13 12:32 TV-less Argentine prisoners go on hunger strike
- 06/13 12:29 Food crisis worsens in Sahel region-- UN aid chief
- 06/13 12:25 'Norman,' when artificial intelligence goes psycho
- 06/13 12:19 Daughter of ski champion Miller drowns in pool tragedy-- officials
- 06/13 12:16 Zidane happy to have his feet up
- 06/13 12:12 Chinese vase found in attic sells for 16.2 million euros
- 06/12 13:03 Pakistanis enchanted by 11-year-old motivational coach
- 06/12 12:53 Poland's Glik cleared for World Cup
- 06/12 12:44 New Tesla software to offer 'full' autonomy, Musk says
- 06/12 12:38 One race, two chequered flags-- Vettel blasts Canadian GP gaffe
- 06/12 12:28 Thai turtle's plastic-filled stomach highlights ocean crisis
- 06/12 12:19 Robbie Williams to perform at World Cup opening ceremony
- 06/11 12:44 Lost John Coltrane album set for release
- 06/11 12:31 'Physically easier to watch Nadal on TV', says beaten Thiem
- 06/11 12:22 Britain's Prince Philip turns 97 in characteristic no-fuss style
- 06/11 12:19 Nurse survives deadly Australia snake bite using training
- 06/11 12:14 18th century Chinese moon flask sells for 4.1 million euros
- 06/11 12:10 Archaeologists find new mass child sacrifice site in Peru