'Scapegoat' Ozil should quit German team-- father
The father of Mesut Ozil said Sunday his son should quit Germany's national squad after he was made the scapegoat for Die Mannschaft's shock first-round defeat at the World Cup.
Ozil, 29, has come in for hefty criticism in Germany after the World Champions crashed out in Russia, finishing bottom of their group.
Pressure had already been mounting on the Arsenal midfielder in the World Cup run-up over a controversial photograph with Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that was seized on to question his loyalty to Germany.
On Thursday, Germany's team boss Oliver Bierhoff sparked a new round of outcry over a statement suggesting Ozil, who has Turkish roots, should have been dropped after his failure to publicly clear up the Erdogan meeting.
This statement is insolent. In my opinion, it is aimed at saving one's own skin, said the mid-fielder's father Mustafa Ozil in an interview with Bild am Sonntag.
Bierhoff later backtracked, apologising that he was wrong.
Ozil senior said he believed his son had agreed to have a photograph taken with Erdogan only out of politeness and that it was never meant to be a political statement.
He also defended Ozil for not having spoken out to clarify his position.
He no longer wants to explain himself, he no longer wants to have to defend himself all the time. He has been playing for nine years in the German team... including becoming world champions with the A-team.
He has contributed a lot for this country. It has always been: if we win, we win together.
But when we lose, we lose because of Ozil? He is now getting whistled at and made a scapegoat. I can understand if he feels insulted, said the midfielder's father.
Calling the treatment accorded to his son so unfair, Ozil senior said he needs to decide for himself. But if I were in his place, I'd say - thanks a lot but that's it!
The hurt has grown too strong. And who knows what'll happen at the next match. In Mesut's place, I would step down. But that's just my very personal opinion, he said.
(2018/07/10 12:30)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/13 12:47 AFP photographer becomes part of Croatia World Cup goal celebration
- 07/13 12:38 Pedrosa announces imminent retirement from MotoGP
- 07/13 12:32 Over 540 arrested in China for online football gambling
- 07/13 12:24 Rare skull of elephant ancestor unveiled in France
- 07/13 12:17 First-ever colour X-ray on a human
- 07/13 12:11 Eiffel Tower to close for open-air World Cup broadcast
- 07/12 12:44 Warner Bros. plans $100 mn cable car to Hollywood sign
- 07/12 12:37 Illegal ivory openly sold across Europe-- study
- 07/12 12:33 French film mogul Luc Besson hit by more sex assault claims
- 07/12 12:28 Stone tools age Asia's first Homo presence
- 07/12 12:22 Kane 'gutted' as England's World Cup dream dies
- 07/12 12:16 Google parent 'graduates' moonshot projects Loon, Wing
- 07/11 12:55 Pogba dedicates France win to Thai cave survivors
- 07/11 12:34 Iran TV film on evils of dancing online sparks controversy
- 07/11 12:27 Australia monster croc caught after eight-year hunt
- 07/11 12:22 Ancient tablet of Odyssey epic discovered in Greece
- 07/11 12:17 Scientists find 'world's oldest' biological colours
- 07/11 12:13 Mahrez finally gets his dream move to Manchester City
- 07/10 13:56 France sees red after Spanish rose wine found in domestic bottles
- 07/10 13:20 Nishikori predicts Wimbledon 'war' with Djokovic
- 07/10 12:34 Report accuses China firms over ozone-depleting gas
- 07/10 12:30 'Scapegoat' Ozil should quit German team-- father
- 07/10 12:20 Why Wimbledon white not quite right for Federer
- 07/10 12:12 First quolls born in Australian wild in half a century
- 07/09 12:54 Brazil World Cup exit 'the saddest moment of my career' - Neymar
- 07/09 12:46 Twitter rooting out fake accounts at record rate-- report
- 07/09 12:43 S. Korea women protest 'spycam porn' in mass rally
- 07/09 12:36 Nadal won't rule out doubles dream team with Federer
- 07/09 12:27 Swedish intellectuals form new literature prize in Nobel protest
- 07/09 12:20 Justin Bieber engaged to model Baldwin-- reports