Ancient tablet of Odyssey epic discovered in Greece
An ancient tablet engraved with 13 verses of the Odyssey has been unearthed in southern Greece in what is possibly the earliest-recorded trace of the epic poem, the culture ministry said Tuesday.
The clay slab is believed to date back to the third century, during the Roman era.
If this date is confirmed, the tablet could be the oldest written record of Homer's work ever discovered in Greece, a ministry statement said.
The extract, taken from book 14, describes the return of Ulysses to his home island of Ithaca.
The tablet was discovered after three years of surface excavations by the Greek Archaeological Services in cooperation with the German Institute of Archaeology.
It was found close to the remains of the Temple of Zeus at the cradle of the Olympic Games in western Peloponnese.
First composed orally around the 8th century BC, the epic -- which is attributed to ancient Greek author Homer -- was later transcribed during the Christian era onto parchment of which only a few fragments have been discovered in Egypt.
(2018/07/11 12:22)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/13 12:47 AFP photographer becomes part of Croatia World Cup goal celebration
- 07/13 12:38 Pedrosa announces imminent retirement from MotoGP
- 07/13 12:32 Over 540 arrested in China for online football gambling
- 07/13 12:24 Rare skull of elephant ancestor unveiled in France
- 07/13 12:17 First-ever colour X-ray on a human
- 07/13 12:11 Eiffel Tower to close for open-air World Cup broadcast
- 07/12 12:44 Warner Bros. plans $100 mn cable car to Hollywood sign
- 07/12 12:37 Illegal ivory openly sold across Europe-- study
- 07/12 12:33 French film mogul Luc Besson hit by more sex assault claims
- 07/12 12:28 Stone tools age Asia's first Homo presence
- 07/12 12:22 Kane 'gutted' as England's World Cup dream dies
- 07/12 12:16 Google parent 'graduates' moonshot projects Loon, Wing
- 07/11 12:55 Pogba dedicates France win to Thai cave survivors
- 07/11 12:34 Iran TV film on evils of dancing online sparks controversy
- 07/11 12:27 Australia monster croc caught after eight-year hunt
- 07/11 12:22 Ancient tablet of Odyssey epic discovered in Greece
- 07/11 12:17 Scientists find 'world's oldest' biological colours
- 07/11 12:13 Mahrez finally gets his dream move to Manchester City
- 07/10 13:56 France sees red after Spanish rose wine found in domestic bottles
- 07/10 13:20 Nishikori predicts Wimbledon 'war' with Djokovic
- 07/10 12:34 Report accuses China firms over ozone-depleting gas
- 07/10 12:30 'Scapegoat' Ozil should quit German team-- father
- 07/10 12:20 Why Wimbledon white not quite right for Federer
- 07/10 12:12 First quolls born in Australian wild in half a century
- 07/09 12:54 Brazil World Cup exit 'the saddest moment of my career' - Neymar
- 07/09 12:46 Twitter rooting out fake accounts at record rate-- report
- 07/09 12:43 S. Korea women protest 'spycam porn' in mass rally
- 07/09 12:36 Nadal won't rule out doubles dream team with Federer
- 07/09 12:27 Swedish intellectuals form new literature prize in Nobel protest
- 07/09 12:20 Justin Bieber engaged to model Baldwin-- reports