Australia monster croc caught after eight-year hunt
An elusive monster saltwater crocodile weighing 600 kilograms (1,328 pounds) has finally been caught after an eight-year hunt in Australia, officials said on Tuesday.
The 4.7-metre (15.4-foot) beast was found in a trap downstream from the northern outback town of Katherine after first being spotted in 2010.
Authorities had tried in vain for years to bag the croc, which is estimated to be 60 years old.
We've called it a lot of things over the years because it's been so hard to catch, senior wildlife officer John Burke told broadcaster ABC.
It is a bit of a thrill, but you've also got to admire the size of the animal and how old it is. You've got to have a bit of respect for it.
The animal was taken to a crocodile farm to keep it separate from the local human population, said Northern Territory wildlife operations chief Tracey Duldig.
He is the biggest crocodile ever removed from the Katherine River by the Wildlife Operations Unit, Duldig said in a statement.
Wildlife rangers capture around 250 problem crocodiles each year.
Saltwater crocodiles are a common feature of Australia's tropical north and kill an average of two people a year.
The crocodile population has exploded since they were declared a protected species in the 1970s, with the killing of an elderly woman last year reigniting calls to curb their numbers.
(2018/07/11 12:27)Click Here for Japanese Translation
AFP-JIJI PRESS NEWS JOURNAL
- 07/13 12:47 AFP photographer becomes part of Croatia World Cup goal celebration
- 07/13 12:38 Pedrosa announces imminent retirement from MotoGP
- 07/13 12:32 Over 540 arrested in China for online football gambling
- 07/13 12:24 Rare skull of elephant ancestor unveiled in France
- 07/13 12:17 First-ever colour X-ray on a human
- 07/13 12:11 Eiffel Tower to close for open-air World Cup broadcast
- 07/12 12:44 Warner Bros. plans $100 mn cable car to Hollywood sign
- 07/12 12:37 Illegal ivory openly sold across Europe-- study
- 07/12 12:33 French film mogul Luc Besson hit by more sex assault claims
- 07/12 12:28 Stone tools age Asia's first Homo presence
- 07/12 12:22 Kane 'gutted' as England's World Cup dream dies
- 07/12 12:16 Google parent 'graduates' moonshot projects Loon, Wing
- 07/11 12:55 Pogba dedicates France win to Thai cave survivors
- 07/11 12:34 Iran TV film on evils of dancing online sparks controversy
- 07/11 12:27 Australia monster croc caught after eight-year hunt
- 07/11 12:22 Ancient tablet of Odyssey epic discovered in Greece
- 07/11 12:17 Scientists find 'world's oldest' biological colours
- 07/11 12:13 Mahrez finally gets his dream move to Manchester City
- 07/10 13:56 France sees red after Spanish rose wine found in domestic bottles
- 07/10 13:20 Nishikori predicts Wimbledon 'war' with Djokovic
- 07/10 12:34 Report accuses China firms over ozone-depleting gas
- 07/10 12:30 'Scapegoat' Ozil should quit German team-- father
- 07/10 12:20 Why Wimbledon white not quite right for Federer
- 07/10 12:12 First quolls born in Australian wild in half a century
- 07/09 12:54 Brazil World Cup exit 'the saddest moment of my career' - Neymar
- 07/09 12:46 Twitter rooting out fake accounts at record rate-- report
- 07/09 12:43 S. Korea women protest 'spycam porn' in mass rally
- 07/09 12:36 Nadal won't rule out doubles dream team with Federer
- 07/09 12:27 Swedish intellectuals form new literature prize in Nobel protest
- 07/09 12:20 Justin Bieber engaged to model Baldwin-- reports